Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the lateral Gs i posted were from the track - not a skidpad
Old 03-10-2004, 03:08 PM
FM9
Intermediate

Originally posted by NeverLift
Straight line performance is important but on certain tracks it isn't. IMO the Nring is the ultimate bench mark and soon good numbers will show for the CGT. At sometime Von Saurma will get his hands on an ENZO there, if Ferrari takes off their skirt. All mag interviews i've read on the CGT most state flatly the CGT is the best handling car ever. Most claim its the best overall Supercar ever. This year more info will come out. Both cars are world class and should prove very entertaining once they get on the track.
Since there hasn't been a test yet we can only speculate what the result can be based on the test results of various magazines. What I'm saying is that the numbers all favour the Enzo as it holds every test record for production cars in R&T and C&D. A 9mph (129 vs 138mph) advantage in the 1/4 mile is a huge chunk faster and I don't see anything special enough in the CGT for it to be able to claw this back in the corners unless the tyres are much,much grippier.

Personally, I have no doubt that the CGT will be a better car than the fragile Enzo but I am just as sure that the Enzo is faster. I just fished out an old magazine test of an F40 vs 959 from 1989 and the figures obtained for the F40 were 0-60 3.9 (3.7 for the CGT), 0-100 in 7.4(7.4) and 0-150 in 16.0(15.8). For a Porsche flagship of 2004, it really should be a lot faster IMO. I'm sure we will find out in time who really is the top dog!
Old 03-10-2004, 03:19 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

"I read a magazine where they got a neon to pull over 1g with $2k in suspension mods. Does that mean it's better than alot of the street ferrari's that post under 1g numbers?"

...well actually, in a way it does! That traction can be very benefitial on a track. My import-loving friend was showing me video clips of a souped up Teg that was obliterating 996TTs and 360s on the A1 Ring! Granted, it was whooping their asses on the straights, but had enough cornering capability and a small transient state that it was keeping up in the zigzags as well! Would I take it over any of the cars it was beating? Not a chance in hell, but I still respect the driver and builder of that car for his accomplishments.

"i saw a report wherein the CGT was tracked and pulled 1.35 a couple times and i think it even got a 1.4 once!"

Niiice, do you happen to remember from where?
Old 03-10-2004, 04:48 PM
NeverLift
Intermediate

i saw a report wherein the CGT was tracked and pulled 1.35 a couple times and i think it even got a 1.4 once!"

Niiice, do you happen to remember from where?

It was from AMS Supertest with the CGT and Zonda.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:04 PM
Daytona24
Banned

I think the Zonda would be a great third car in that comparison, incredible engine and a very competent chassis - the acceleration in the Zonda is supposedly mind-blowing.

Last edited by Daytona24; 03-18-2004 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:42 PM
chefuup
4th Gear

I think that the F1 shifter on the Enzo would have a big advantage over the manual on the CGT. I have a M3 with the SMG shifter, and I can rip that car alot harder in the turns,than my 996 six speed, alot harder. My M3 is a conv too. I love sequential paddle shifters. I think Porsche should equip there cars with the same. After driving with a sequential, It makes reg. manuals obsolete.

Lee

PS walter rohls says that the CGT will be faster than the Enzo, cuz hes Porsche's man, why would he say anything else.......
Old 04-16-2004, 12:08 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

we too have an SMG M3 to go with the 6 spd 996. the SMG began to bore me long ago though it was pretty cool right after we got it.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:21 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

I do prefer a traditional manual myself, though sequentials are fun on occassion, and yes... the Ferrari paddle system shifts faster then humanly possible, so I give credit to them for efficacy!
Old 04-17-2004, 10:34 PM
chefuup
4th Gear

I dont know how you got bored with the M3's SMG? In sport mode, DSC off, it shifts really fast and hard and downshifts fast too. Alot of people say that the M3s SMG doesnt shift fast.. I think it shifts very fast, just as fast as a Ferrari. Plus the computer even blips the throttle when you down shift. Which is way cool.

I dont know, when I drive my 996 six speed. The shifting just seems so vague. Hope porsche puts in a SMG in their future 911s
Old 04-17-2004, 11:58 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

speed of shift isn't the problem - boredom is. it's much more engaging to use the clutch with my left foot and heel/toe rev matching my own downshifts is also entertaining. something about just flicking a finger doesn't do it for me.
Old 04-18-2004, 04:52 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by ben in lj
speed of shift isn't the problem - boredom is. it's much more engaging to use the clutch with my left foot and heel/toe rev matching my own downshifts is also entertaining. something about just flicking a finger doesn't do it for me.
....indeed. My thoughts exactly.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:47 AM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by ben in lj
I also agree 100% with you Ben, even if the 997 comes out with a double clutch sequential option, I decided that if I get one it will be a manual.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:52 AM
wch
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

As a 964 owner, I love the traditional manual shifter. It's getting harder for me to take seriously a high performance car without a sequential type shifter. Brake left footed, click down the shifts - I certainly find it sufficiently engaging. IMO soon "heel and toe" and using your left foot to clutch will be recognized as quaintly retro, an option for those who seek that "vintage car" feel. Would you like a manual choke with that? ;-)
Old 04-18-2004, 08:02 PM
chefuup
4th Gear

well, at laguna seca the lap times are much faster with a M3 smg VS M3 6 speed stick. Paddle shifters are on GT1 cars, F1 cars , and rally cars. Theres a big reason for that. The M3 SMG you can shift either with the paddles, or move the stick forward and back. Being able to have both hands on the wheels and shfiting is a huge plus for me.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:20 PM
tdf360
Pro

Originally posted by chefuup
well, at laguna seca the lap times are much faster with a M3 smg VS M3 6 speed stick. Paddle shifters are on GT1 cars, F1 cars , and rally cars. Theres a big reason for that. The M3 SMG you can shift either with the paddles, or move the stick forward and back. Being able to have both hands on the wheels and shfiting is a huge plus for me.
Well, I could see with the same driver, maybe a little faster, "much faster", don't think so. And for most of us, track days aren't about absolute lap times, more about fun, and I think (having driven both) the 6 spd is more fun, even on a track.

Gary

Quick Reply: Ferrari Enzo vs Carrera GT