Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960 (https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-supercars-carrera-gt-918-960-112/)
-   -   Considering a Singer (https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-supercars-carrera-gt-918-960/1130068-considering-a-singer.html)

wilson9493 02-19-2019 11:28 PM

Considering a Singer

Been spending the past few months deciding if I should start this project.
So I thought it would be a great idea to pop down to the Singer factory in LA, and let the car decides for me.

What really surprises me is the level of attention to detail and the extent of customization you get on each car. I really enjoy the fact that they have thought about every part of the design.
And the idea of getting a car that is specifically tailored to your taste just made me feel very excited.

So before I start the journey of looking for a donar car, I wonder if any owners can share their ownership experience? Are you still happy about the car after a year or two?

Thanks in advance.

Spyerx 02-19-2019 11:41 PM

Talk to some buyers that have yet to take delivery. Ask them their experience You prepared to wait 2+ years?
Mask singer what was the delivery commitment for the last delivered car and when did they take it.
Most don’t drive them much
there have been some quality issues early on that were largely addressed and recrified
They look nice
end of day its your $ spend it as you will
just make sure you will still want it when you finally get it

MikeGT 02-20-2019 12:23 AM

I agree with Spyerx - really make sure it's something you will drive and use. I spent a wad of Benjamins to restore a 72 911T, because it had low miles, one owner, original bill of sale, and the guy even hand wrote all his miles in a little black book. I waited 3 years for it to get finished and finally took delivery about 6 months ago. I've driven it once... from the restoration shop to my warehouse. Bottom line, I fell in love with the story, history, and car. But it's really not something I want to jump in and drive when looking at my choices. Lesson learned. I appreciate looking at lots of beautiful cars, but have learned to only look and save the buying for cars I'll use.

That said, some people prefer art - so go for what feels right.

NBoost 02-20-2019 12:50 AM

My feeling on the wait is if I can afford to buy one I can probably afford two. I'd ask those guys to put you in touch with an owner who'd sell. I've heard they trade for build price plus a small premium. Buy and drive someone else's while yours is under construction then sell the extra when your car is complete. I've already thought all this through for when/if I have a spare 1.2 to blow on old cars, lol.

golfnutintib 02-20-2019 01:59 AM

i almost commissioned one a few years back, had spec'd it with rob, was ready to sign -- with donor car it was going to be $630k

then i thought long and hard about it

more than anything else relating to this hobby/passion, i love to drive, push these cars, stretch their legs and explore their (and my) limits ... would i really do that in a $600k+ car? if something bad happened i would never forgive myself - not that i couldn't absorb the loss, but i know myself, i would just feel awful, and for a long time

at that point i was just getting used to driving a $100K 997 gt3 at 9+ or 10/10 on track, and getting my head around that was already quite something

so i changed my mind and with that same money over the next couple years i bought a couple more gt3's and several sweet air cooled cars and went to 50-60 more track days to really hone my driving skill - i couldn't be happier at this point

i now pick which car i want to drive, and can drive each one at any given time with equal parts caution and abandon and confidence

that's just me, one honest data point

tcsracing1 02-20-2019 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by MikeGT (Post 15651017)
I agree with Spyerx - really make sure it's something you will drive and use. I spent a wad of Benjamins to restore a 72 911T, because it had low miles, one owner, original bill of sale, and the guy even hand wrote all his miles in a little black book. I waited 3 years for it to get finished and finally took delivery about 6 months ago. I've driven it once... from the restoration shop to my warehouse. Bottom line, I fell in love with the story, history, and car. But it's really not something I want to jump in and drive when looking at my choices. Lesson learned. I appreciate looking at lots of beautiful cars, but have learned to only look and save the buying for cars I'll use.

I cant blame you for saving that 72T. That is such a great story. Low miles, documented, one owner. Such a find.
Car is most likely too clean to drive now. And at the end of the day it is just T performance...

I would hot rod it slightly..... things that can be turned back if desired.

go-ran 02-20-2019 09:46 AM

What are the Insurance implications on Singers? Since its not a Singer and still a porsche as per the original ownership .

mooty 02-22-2019 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by MikeGT (Post 15651017)

take the T out and WOT you will love it.

C.J. Ichiban 02-22-2019 02:51 AM

As others have said- long wait, big cost

As others asked- will you drive it?

The real question I ask people....

How will the car be at 5-8/10ths?

richk 02-23-2019 10:27 PM

Have a good friend picking up his car in 2 weeks. Have been watching his build and will be there when he picks the car. Will report back with more details in a few weeks,

raclaims 02-24-2019 08:15 AM

I nearly did a build as well and had another early singer lined up to own while I waited...but they refused to give a firm commitment as to when they could deliver the car and frankly the last thing I wanted to do was spend a fortune on an older one while waiting who knows how long for the new one. A lot of what if's came to mind...what if they go belly up? What if it takes 3 years? What if after all that time and mental energy I didn't like it as much as I had hoped? Then I realized that I have a Carrera GT that cost me less than a new singer build and realized this is madness.

wilson9493 02-25-2019 01:01 PM

Looking forward to it!

rileyracing1 02-25-2019 01:35 PM

If my intent was to personalize such a keeper for life I would either do it myself (except the engine upgrade) or to slowly source out the best materials and best artisans for each individual aspect of the cars build and design to bring it to life and probably much cheaper than a Singer. Singers are beautiful cars but my approach would be to have more of a hands on involvement in the build than simply choosing what I wanted and having someone do it and then waiting to get it .......Something I could really call my own right down to the size of the stitching and the custom machined components and materials and sourcing them out personally .... Everything !! Maybe it's not for everyone and I feel this would be half the thrill and part of the story of having one of these exceptional cars.

Carlos993 03-01-2019 12:55 AM

It looks like a few of us have considered Singers. I went through the process about 2 years ago, but the wait, and more importantly the uncertainty on that lead time, nixed it for me. By 2018 I decided to go ahead with the project, but a 911 reimagined by me - best motor/drivetrain that fit my needs, light weight without compromising safety or taking away from the joy of the drive, as small a footprint as possible, top paint job, and an interior closer to the original 911 concept than the Hermes artwork of current Singers.

Canvas chosen was a clean narrow body 993, gutter delete, washer delete, paint from the best shop in the country, my indy's team and work space, and then a true gem of an engine/transmission - 4.0 RSR inspired, developed by a German builder who later flew in for tuning, race tested in Germany, cf intake, custom titanium exhaust, lots of special sauce, and very importantly refinement and tuning that beautifully delivers the engine's 400 +- hp.

As rileyracing and others have observed, a big part of the fun was being able to kick around in the shop as the car was being rebuilt, and to actually be in the driver's or passenger's seat for final tuning. Another big plus - POST DELIVERY, we still get together to tweak the car.

No doubt Singers are beautiful cars and if one were to fall on my lap I would seriously consider a purchase, but I am happy enough with my process and the final product that even as we are finishing up car 1, I have already commissioned car 2 - more tuned for city dd driving, and off a special-to-me 993 wide body.

Jason Zhang 03-01-2019 01:24 AM

^ we gotta see some pictures of your car, Mr.