Sponsored by:

Carrera GT expertise needed.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:58 PM
GTMeister
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrera GT expertise needed.

Dear Gentlemen,

I need your help here. Much appreciated!
I´ll try to make it short but I have been traveling around Europe to find that special Carrera GT and I have some interesting cars BUT since it is a VERY unique car and the knowledge of these beautiful cars is very limited here in Sweden I need some help from abroad, most likely here.

As mentioned, I have found some very interesting cars such as late production number cars, mid production and such. So the two most interesting so far.

The 2006.05 car (seal grey) have 15.000 kms, accident free, new clutch and last inspection was in 2014.11 at 13.500 kms with big service and new clutch. Car in very good condition.
The 2005.08 car (GT Silver) have only 7700 kms, accident free, original clutch and last inspection in 2016.03 at 6300 kms. Car in absolute mint!

What I wonder is that how is it to buy such a car from collector that have barely driven it? The last inspections have many years on the neck and what is it that I should have in mind?
I have seen the threads about pitted camshafts and also valves that aren't happy about living a life in a engine that is rarely used.
Told them that the 111 Porsche test is a must before a deal but what more should I have in mind?

All help is VERY appreciated! Sold my Ford GT Twin Turbo (fastest GT in Europe) to buy one of the most beautiful cars ever created, the CGT.

Last edited by GTMeister; 01-18-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:32 PM
Driftking
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Both cars are located in The Netherlands...you can contact me for further details.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:09 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

I've been privileged to own three. These cars need to be driven, otherwise they develop leaks.

I'd be more inclined to buy the car with the higher mileage as long as the clutch is +30.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:34 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ it's very intriguing to me how one can not drive it.
I would make time and excuses to drive it
I don't attend office mtgs anymore
I tell wife to pick up kids unless has deathly ill patients
if you have one and don't drive it, I can only surmise you haven't figured out how to drive a car? it is that good.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:22 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GTMeister
Told them that the 111 Porsche test is a must before a deal but what more should I have in mind?
Forget about the 111 OPC inspection. It's a complete waste of time. Unless the service history is absolutely up to scratch, I would ask for a engine out service to be completed conditional on sale as with a cgt approved workshop, it's very very thorough and will pick up any issues that you'll want to know about (rads, dampers, seal leaks or anything else). Personally I'd be looking for a car with the best service history/condition I could find and have everything else secondary to that.

P.S if it's a Holland car I've heard the odd 'unusual' let's say story about one that's been for sale for a while. Might even be the 7000 km car you mention so tread carefully....
Old 01-21-2019, 02:23 PM
GTMeister
5th Gear

Thanks guys, much appreciated!
Old 01-21-2019, 02:28 PM
GTMeister
5th Gear

You have PM
Old 02-02-2019, 06:53 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

To add to OP what are the common problems with Carrera GT? I heard already that ignition system (coils and cables?) Die quite a lot, valvetrain wear, cams had a recall (did it need a warranty?).
As for clutch what really is the part cost and why do I hear 20k to change it? Is it real? If so why? Can't be just man hours.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:01 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
To add to OP what are the common problems with Carrera GT? I heard already that ignition system (coils and cables?) Die quite a lot, valvetrain wear, cams had a recall (did it need a warranty?).
As for clutch what really is the part cost and why do I hear 20k to change it? Is it real? If so why? Can't be just man hours.
The parts alone cost ~18,000 and they aren't exactly making a ton of them to sit around
Old 02-10-2019, 04:44 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 860 Likes on 381 Posts

Engine needs to be dropped in order to get to the clutch. You are looking at 25-30hrs of labor to drop the engine and install the clutch.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:14 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Engine needs to be dropped in order to get to the clutch. You are looking at 25-30hrs of labor to drop the engine and install the clutch.
By highly specialized and skilled mechanics.

So, expensive parts, lots of hours and expensive people doing the work.

But, damn, it's worth it imo.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:48 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

coil are cheap
value train wear is normal compare to any other rdcars
clutch is labor, engine out and it's super LWT rare as its only used on CGT so part is $

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carrera GT expertise needed.