Sponsored by:

Fire Extinguisher fitment in a CGT.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 07:33 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeygt
I carry 1 or 2 in all my cars. Have several in my shop and house. Too cheap not have so many. CGT as in the pic above. (double stick tape)
Fires can be put out if caught early. It sure makes you feel stupid to see a small fire that could've been pissed out and not have the **** to put it out.
Smokey I am not a fan of unbolted objects in a car - let alone one that can go 200 mph

Insurance companies are fine paying a claim on burnt metal - paying a claim on flying FE's that busted someones melon ... negligence.

Double tape some marshmallows and it's a win win.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:32 AM
ByeEnzo
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by raclaims
Post up a pic of the Miura...I need one of those in my life!!
Here you go!
Old 11-18-2018, 09:21 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by ByeEnzo

Here you go!
Wow.

The first super car ever built - was not a fan of Lamborghini until the SV and now I can not get enough of the brand.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:57 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
LOL
I have my car on fire on track.
get the fk out. it burns up fast.
REAL FAST
there is NO TIME to get your FE. I barely have time to pull the plumbed fire bottle (it's a full on race car), flip the kill switch and get myself out.
and I am prolly way more flexible than most.
but if you want the look, yes, FE can look cool
however, don't try to use it. just g4t the hell out.
fair 'nuff! Our local PCA events require them.... so you put one in. Maybe they get kickbacks on fire extinguisher sales

Originally Posted by ByeEnzo

Here you go!

​​​​​​​
WOW is right. That is stunning.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:48 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
fair 'nuff! Our local PCA events require them.... so you put one in. Maybe they get kickbacks on fire extinguisher sales

I love PCA
but lately I found they have become more and more politically driven and many ppl have "agenda" there.
I don't want to waste the bandwidth here.
requiring FE the tiny little one, provides a false sense of security.
I have seen ppl mount the on roll. bars, which they cannot reach.
I have seen ppl mount them in front of passenger seat. go home and. try this.
drive to your driveway, stop car, unbuckle and get the bottle to your gloved hands and pull the pin, you will be VERY SURPRISED how long that will take you. and I wager to say 50% of the drivers are too big and inflexible to reach the bottle. and when you realized you can't get the bottle out... your are likely on fire now. I have cars burnt. most do not. GET THE FK OUT, things happen FAST.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:16 AM
FLGT
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
I love PCA
but lately I found they have become more and more politically driven and many ppl have "agenda" there.
I don't want to waste the bandwidth here.
requiring FE the tiny little one, provides a false sense of security.
I have seen ppl mount the on roll. bars, which they cannot reach.
I have seen ppl mount them in front of passenger seat. go home and. try this.
drive to your driveway, stop car, unbuckle and get the bottle to your gloved hands and pull the pin, you will be VERY SURPRISED how long that will take you. and I wager to say 50% of the drivers are too big and inflexible to reach the bottle. and when you realized you can't get the bottle out... your are likely on fire now. I have cars burnt. most do not. GET THE FK OUT, things happen FAST.
This - get out fast. They are really only for looks
Old 11-21-2018, 01:14 AM
smokeygt
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Smokey I am not a fan of unbolted objects in a car - let alone one that can go 200 mph

Insurance companies are fine paying a claim on burnt metal - paying a claim on flying FE's that busted someones melon ... negligence.

Double tape some marshmallows and it's a win win.
Nuvo, I guess I'm paranoid. Not all fires start out as infernos. I've been involved around several fires, some mine, some others. All put out except the first one that put the fear in me. I just want the option to have an extinguisher if it's possible to reach. Insurance reimbursement doesn't enter my mind. I think these machines are too precious to loose. No amount of money will bring one back. I'm recalling Darryl Greenamyer and the B29 he and his team rescued from Greenland. Only to be undone by something unbolted and the the extinguishers mounted out of reach behind the fire. Heartbreaking.

Marshmallows? I'm thinking more like along the lines of kielbasa.

An old man told me once that a smart man learns from his mistakes, but a truly smart man learns from other's mistakes. I must be an idiot, because I keep doing the same damn dumb things over and over. I reckon carrying an extinguisher is not one of them.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:24 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ I get it. BUT we must agree that if one wants a FE, get a real FE. the "baby" bottles I see so often in these cars do nothing. now if you have a real FE bottle then certainly

not that street cars should or need a plumbed system. but in a race car, you don't see FE bottles.
I don't want cars to burn, when I get out, I pull the FE switch and lots of halon or whatever comes out and kills fire.

if one wants a FE in car, get one that works such that one does not have a FALSE sense of security.
b/c in emergency, we all get confused and starts to do things that are just dumb.
thus let's prep it right BEFORE the disaster.

now if the FE is just for "looks" I agree the little bottle with laser cut mounts are beautiful. I know be I had many of them in my GT3's
Old 11-22-2018, 09:37 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by smokeygt
Nuvo, I guess I'm paranoid. Not all fires start out as infernos. I've been involved around several fires, some mine, some others. All put out except the first one that put the fear in me. I just want the option to have an extinguisher if it's possible to reach. Insurance reimbursement doesn't enter my mind. I think these machines are too precious to loose. No amount of money will bring one back. I'm recalling Darryl Greenamyer and the B29 he and his team rescued from Greenland. Only to be undone by something unbolted and the the extinguishers mounted out of reach behind the fire. Heartbreaking.

Marshmallows? I'm thinking more like along the lines of kielbasa.

An old man told me once that a smart man learns from his mistakes, but a truly smart man learns from other's mistakes. I must be an idiot, because I keep doing the same damn dumb things over and over. I reckon carrying an extinguisher is not one of them.
It's nice that you love your cars but they do not love back so it's just about the money as an object is replaceable.

Own 100's of FE and assure you they are not reliable and the operator must be trained preferably in a fire suit.

You have to be 4-6 feet to address the fire ... as you stated they do not start out as inferno's so you have no idea where the next ignition is or how large.

Car fires are 10x worse than grease fires.

Wise man told me if you would not do something twice do not do it once.

Give you credit but IMO fighting a fire does not outweigh the risk.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 11-22-2018 at 10:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Fire Extinguisher fitment in a CGT.