Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

prices on CGT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 06:52 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Which is why i look at it as far "minimum" amount of capital I need tied up and also # of cars (pushes up variable and hassle) in a collection to have the variety of experiences i want. I think about which car might depreciate/appreciate more or less, but again, not as "investment", as way to minimize the damage to the hobby and experiences.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:28 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Add in costs like maintenance insurance and storage and suddenly these don’t look like great “investment”. Great cars yes.

I just ran the numbers and well. That 959 you’d have been better off. Way better off. In t bills.

That same 400k in any pick your stock (msrp in mid 80s, aapl way back) or re investment in many areas you’d be raining dollars.

But yes great cars to enjoy.

This thread and others like it were made for two people in mind - buyers and sellers.

Investment grade cars are for those who do not enjoy the purpose much like red Ferrari owners who feather dust in F1 gear.

https://www.zeroto60times.com/2013/0...-of-the-2000s/

Last edited by nuvolari612; 10-14-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:08 PM
pors9
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Interesting discussions, many posts with many good points - but the discussion has expanded way beyond my original narrow question and into issues such as time value of money, comparative investment strategies, quality v. price of individual examples... ferrari's etc.. These are far more complex and integrated issues than what my original question was about - the general value performance potential of 959/964/993 collectible Porsches v. the 980/997 (ok 918 too) collectible Porsches.

Anecdotally I can say that, in terms of holding value, long term speculator/trader/collectors I know are winding out of the late model stuff but are hanging onto their pre 2000's stuff. I think their decisions boil down to production numbers (rarity).

I think CJ noted something along the lines of whether to buy 3 GT3RS v 1 CGT ... so as relevant to my original question ... 1 993 GT2 or 2 CGT's etc.?
Old 10-14-2018, 07:30 PM
cgt04115
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Your all missing it with the CGT IMHO.

How many carbon tub, shift it yourself supercars are there period? A few thousand at best? Mostly the CGT, F50 then Zonda, ksegg, F1 and some random ones scattered here and thereThis window in time is special and unrepeatable. I wouldn’t be selling any of those cars for some 911 or otherwise no matter how rare.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:53 AM
pors9
Banned

Originally Posted by cgt04115
Your all missing it with the CGT IMHO.

How many carbon tub, shift it yourself supercars are there period? A few thousand at best? Mostly the CGT, F50 then Zonda, ksegg, F1 and some random ones scattered here and thereThis window in time is special and unrepeatable. I wouldn’t be selling any of those cars for some 911 or otherwise no matter how rare.

It's true that the CGT is in a unique, perhaps not to be replicated, class of vehicle ... yet there are 19 new CGT's that came to market in September (and certainly more in total actually for sale) and buyers do not seem to be scooping them up. We track new to market additions for the models in our database and track North American 'for sale' inventory and will post monthly updates to this blog.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:05 AM
cgt04115
Racer

These cars are not old yet. Just wait.......
Old 10-15-2018, 09:48 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by cgt04115
These cars are not old yet. Just wait.......
So true.

How many posts read - lost money on a CGT!

The CGT all around is aging better than any car.

Trust me I have tried to justify a replacement and can not would love to hear one person state they found a better option and sold their CGT ... just one

The ones who want to talk with no intent of buying or selling are ... all talk.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:23 AM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 57 Posts

Buying a car for investment is not the greatest idea. CGT is a car that will give you an unimaginable amount of satisfaction. For me that is all that matters. In addition, if you ever decide to sell it, you would get all your money back and then some.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:50 AM
cgt04115
Racer

The top tier cars are a nice store of value, they are fun and engaging to drive, beautiful to look at and go with the whole experiential living the next generation seeks. They are safer haven assets because they can be insured and will not be going bankrupt.....
Old 10-16-2018, 03:10 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by pors9
It's true that the CGT is in a unique, perhaps not to be replicated, class of vehicle ... yet there are 19 new CGT's that came to market in September (and certainly more in total actually for sale) and buyers do not seem to be scooping them up. We track new to market additions for the models in our database and track North American 'for sale' inventory and will post monthly updates to this blog.
Perhaps not to be replicated ... unlike your posts that include constant promotion of your blog.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:48 PM
pors9
Banned

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Perhaps not to be replicated ... unlike your posts that include constant promotion of your blog.
There is feature in RL that allows you to not see my posts ... since you seem to be personally bothered by my posts for some reason I suggest you use it. You'll feel better.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:54 PM
Sterling Sackey
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by pors9
It's true that the CGT is in a unique, perhaps not to be replicated, class of vehicle ... yet there are 19 new CGT's that came to market in September (and certainly more in total actually for sale) and buyers do not seem to be scooping them up.
Buyers are happily scooping up CGTs at the moment, but the action is mostly happening off-market, and primarily with the best examples. There are a lot of sub-par cars floating around as well, many of those being the ones that end up on the public market. The public market also has its share of cars that are simply not priced within the confines of reality.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:02 PM
pors9
Banned

Originally Posted by Sterling Sackey
Buyers are happily scooping up CGTs at the moment, but the action is mostly happening off-market, and primarily with the best examples. There are a lot of sub-par cars floating around as well, many of those being the ones that end up on the public market. The public market also has its share of cars that are simply not priced within the confines of reality.
Happily scooping up is an overstated over simplification. I think the volume of actual transactions is far below the number of cars that can be bought - inclusive of the best cars and worst cars. We can bring plenty of low mileage one owner CGT's to the table - but who will write the check they want, not so many.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:28 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

sterling and I have both retailed a few cars and so have merit partners.

we are seeing every single non silver car get sold within a few days or weeks and never hit the market. my customers have bought over almost 10 CGT's in the last 12 months. sometimes they are selling a 9k miler for a 2k miler. some guys are consolidating into them. other guys are grabbing a second car, some guys are selling bigger cars and looking at CGT vs F40 or similar cars and seeing 700k as a fair price for the specialness of the car.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:34 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sterling Sackey
out of topic - can I ask if you're responsible for the sterlingsackey instagram posts as well? If so a few weeks ago you put up an old 2006 picture of a factory delivery polar cgt. Can I ask how you got that as I believe I own that car now so always interested in a bit of history if possible. Cheers.

Quick Reply: prices on CGT?