Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

prices on CGT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 11:31 PM
smokeygt
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

This whole limited edition or special options cars bewilders me. Seems to me, to get a sure fire investment car, order it Hot Pink with yellow and purple stripes with gold wheels. Order no windows, 2 radios, 3 air conditioners, and five gallon buckets for the seats. Frog skin covered of course. Then never drive it.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:40 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by pors9
That's a naive and specious request and if you really own the cars you claim then you know that.
I know that every time you post I cringe.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 10-03-2018 at 12:58 AM.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:32 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by Coyft
Given two identical cars with less than 1,000 miles I can see why a collector may pay more for one with air con, nav delete.

However the car in question has 20k miles and is a car that will be driven, not collected, in this instance the car is worth less, as evidenced by its current asking price.

Pointless discussion as a car is only worth what someone will pay for it.
^^^agree, especially in bold.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:32 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by smokeygt
This whole limited edition or special options cars bewilders me. Seems to me, to get a sure fire investment car, order it Hot Pink with yellow and purple stripes with gold wheels. Order no windows, 2 radios, 3 air conditioners, and five gallon buckets for the seats. Frog skin covered of course. Then never drive it.
Reminds me of Lappo Elkan's 599 with denim seats. I think it's one thing to have a special relationship with the factory and customizing a spec it's another to delete items making a car appear special when in fact it is not.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:58 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 384 Posts

Damn, I remember this 599 interior very well when it was first published online. Brings me back to the days when I had my 599 GTO.

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Reminds me of Lappo Elkan's 599 with denim seats. I think it's one thing to have a special relationship with the factory and customizing a spec it's another to delete items making a car appear special when in fact it is not.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:18 PM
Sterling Sackey
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeygt
I know this is said in jest, but I think in the long-term there's much more to it than this.

Overall, a car that is ordered with special options will, way down the road, likely be worth more than a "standard" example. But, if those options are particularly off-putting or in bad taste, it will absolutely be a real challenge to find a buyer for the car. Eventually, when the car is decades old, there may be a "novelty" effect where people are interested to buy it simply due to being unique, but that takes a very long time. So, ordering a crazy spec for the purposes of investment isn't automatically wise unless the spec happens to be really tasteful and represent what enthusiasts actually want.

As for the CGT being discussed, I think the reality is that the car is still too new for the A/C & radio delete to really be attracting buyers over a standard car, since most buyers (especially ones buying a higher miles car) will want to be able to use the car comfortably. Perhaps when the Carrera GT is a classic car, an example like this one will be more appealing and bring a considerable premium. But, it should also be considered that A/C & radio delete was never really a highly advertised or touted option on this car. To my knowledge Porsche never released numbers saying how much weight it saved, and they certainly didn't make it exciting by making the A/C & radio delete into a "Clubsport" package, a Weissach package (a-la 918), something of that nature. If these options had been branded in that way, a car like this would absolutely bring big money compared to a standard example, just as any "Clubsport" 911 RS or "Weissach" 918 does today.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:36 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

totally agree on all points Sterling.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:20 AM
pors9
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
I know that every time you post I cringe.
En passant ... I know it's hard to come up with something intelligent, let alone constructive, to say when I played you like that.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:15 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sterling Sackey
I know this is said in jest, but I think in the long-term there's much more to it than this.

Overall, a car that is ordered with special options will, way down the road, likely be worth more than a "standard" example. But, if those options are particularly off-putting or in bad taste, it will absolutely be a real challenge to find a buyer for the car. Eventually, when the car is decades old, there may be a "novelty" effect where people are interested to buy it simply due to being unique, but that takes a very long time. So, ordering a crazy spec for the purposes of investment isn't automatically wise unless the spec happens to be really tasteful and represent what enthusiasts actually want.

As for the CGT being discussed, I think the reality is that the car is still too new for the A/C & radio delete to really be attracting buyers over a standard car, since most buyers (especially ones buying a higher miles car) will want to be able to use the car comfortably. Perhaps when the Carrera GT is a classic car, an example like this one will be more appealing and bring a considerable premium. But, it should also be considered that A/C & radio delete was never really a highly advertised or touted option on this car. To my knowledge Porsche never released numbers saying how much weight it saved, and they certainly didn't make it exciting by making the A/C & radio delete into a "Clubsport" package, a Weissach package (a-la 918), something of that nature. If these options had been branded in that way, a car like this would absolutely bring big money compared to a standard example, just as any "Clubsport" 911 RS or "Weissach" 918 does today.
Short or long term these delete options are a lot of brain damage.

Ferrari Monza Porsche 935 WP RS CGT and others made up of the right DNA on day one - celebration cars during a given time agree is more natural.

Pors9 - thank you for your service as lead CGT crash dummy.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 10-05-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:12 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

there is a subset of Porsche luddites that enjoy delete options - me being one of them.

I only buy 911's with no sunroof and when I can get them with no nav or no radio (looks antiquated in a few years, seen a 997.1 RS recently??)

however the CGT game is much different.

straight up- there are 1200+ cars built. therefore unlike a 4.0RS 997 or 997 GT2RS or 993 GT2 or 964 3.8RS...

it's all about the mileage. the lower miles the higher price. 200 mile silver car or 11,000 mile seal gray? red with no miles vs red with 7500 miles? price is directly proportional to miles. if it does not have luggage subtract XX, 000
Old 10-09-2018, 07:55 PM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
there is a subset of Porsche luddites that enjoy delete options - me being one of them.

I only buy 911's with no sunroof and when I can get them with no nav or no radio (looks antiquated in a few years, seen a 997.1 RS recently??)

however the CGT game is much different.

straight up- there are 1200+ cars built. therefore unlike a 4.0RS 997 or 997 GT2RS or 993 GT2 or 964 3.8RS...

it's all about the mileage. the lower miles the higher price. 200 mile silver car or 11,000 mile seal gray? red with no miles vs red with 7500 miles? price is directly proportional to miles. if it does not have luggage subtract XX, 000
CJ, you bring up a valid point about production numbers. Do you believe, or anyone for that matter, that the more limited cars such as the 4.0 RS, 997 GT2RS, 993 GT2, 964 3.8 RS could be more valuable than the Carrera GT in say 10 years, assuming they have the same number of miles as a CGT? let's all get out our crystal *****....
Old 10-09-2018, 08:02 PM
Sterling Sackey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by E-Man
CJ, you bring up a valid point about production numbers. Do you believe, or anyone for that matter, that the more limited cars such as the 4.0 RS, 997 GT2RS, 993 GT2, 964 3.8 RS could be more valuable than the Carrera GT in say 10 years, assuming they have the same number of miles as a CGT? let's all get out our crystal *****....
That's apples vs. oranges really. For me, the best gauge of where CGT values will go is probably the F40. Similar production numbers and ethos, but 15 years older.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:50 AM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 130 Posts

Let me counter that argument Sterling and say apples versus oranges is Ferrari vs Porsche. Ferrari made over 1,300 F40's. During the same era or even slightly before, Porsche made less than 300 road going 959's. Why isn't the very limited, relative to the F40, Porsche super car worth several multiples more than the Ferrari? Because it's a Porsche, not a Ferrari.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:50 AM
Sterling Sackey
Rennlist Member

Let me counter that argument Sterling and say apples versus oranges is Ferrari vs Porsche. Ferrari made over 1,300 F40's. During the same era or even slightly before, Porsche made less than 300 road going 959's. Why isn't the very limited, relative to the F40, Porsche super car worth several multiples more than the Ferrari? Because it's a Porsche, not a Ferrari.
I do agree that Ferraris in general carry more value as a marque than Porsche, but the 959 is worth what it’s worth despite its rarity because it is not nearly as exciting to enthusiasts as an F40. Ultimately, the 959 was a technology car, whereas the F40 is an analogue car, and the latter tend to do much better value wise and be much more desirable as time goes on. The CGT is Porsche’s analogue supercar and has much more in common with the F40 than it does with the 959, frankly.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:56 AM
pors9
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Maybe not the right question(s). The question may be when - or if - the limited/low production cars of the 2000's and 2010's will be as valuable as the limited/low production cars of the 1990''s (plus the 959) relative to their MSRP's? Is there room to grow into similar multiples? Will they take 25 years to get there as the 1990's car did? Or were too many produced to ever reach those multiples? And if they do reach similar multiples as the low production 1990's cars have today, what will the multiples be on those 1990's cars at that time?

Generally speaking here is where we are today:

959K - MSRP ~$300k - today's value ~$1.2m+ - multiple 4x+
964 3.8 RS - MSRP ~$140k - today's value ~$1m+ - multiple 5x+
993 GT2 (strassen) - MSRP ~$200k - today's value ~$1.5m+ - multiple 7x+

997 RS4.0 - MSRP ~$205k - today's value ~$450k - multiple 2.5x
997 GT2RS - MSRP ~$265k - today's value ~$400k - multiple 2x-
CGT - MSRP ~$445k - today's value ~$750k - multiple 1.7x

Quick Reply: prices on CGT?