Sponsored by:

prices on CGT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 11:00 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by joejenie
Sorry, but it was my poor try at a joke. Of course a repaint kills the value. Sorry it didn't come across that way. I love how CJ tells it the way it is. If I buy a CGT (hope to in the next year or so), He will be the first guy I call.
My mistake

Lot of great mechanics that work on the CGT very few know the market.

I remember when there were guys pushing CGT's at 3 then 4 now 7 - it's insanity jump in asap I never understood what held the CGT back other than it wasn't a traditional Porsche.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:51 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
My mistake

Lot of great mechanics that work on the CGT very few know the market.

I remember when there were guys pushing CGT's at 3 then 4 now 7 - it's insanity jump in asap I never understood what held the CGT back other than it wasn't a traditional Porsche.
What sucks is in 2010, I seen 2 CGTs in SLC and they were both under $350k. Wanted it, but I'm in homebuilding and was afraid the recession was going to last a lot longer and was scared to deploy cash and was scared to borrow the money. Easy to be Monday morning QB though.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:43 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

Value on CGT is the driving experience.

I'm ok with a little respectful patina or respectful rectification.
YES and YES
Old 09-17-2018, 02:42 PM
Me&You
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

What sucks is in 2010, I seen 2 CGTs in SLC and they were both under $350k. Wanted it, but I'm in homebuilding and was afraid the recession was going to last a lot longer and was scared to deploy cash and was scared to borrow the money. Easy to be Monday morning QB though.
I think a friend may be one of the (now) previous owners of one of those CGTs... The timing, location and pricing lines up with a car he bought. Anyways...

The funny thing - the original owner of the CGT he ended up buying had traded it straight across for a then-new-and-hot-stuff Cayenne Turbo and Panamera Turbo... Ouch LOL
Old 09-17-2018, 04:53 PM
Sterling Sackey
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Me&You
I think a friend may be one of the (now) previous owners of one of those CGTs... The timing, location and pricing lines up with a car he bought. Anyways...

The funny thing - the original owner of the CGT he ended up buying had traded it straight across for a then-new-and-hot-stuff Cayenne Turbo and Panamera Turbo... Ouch LOL
That's rough.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:43 PM
SSO
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts

I thought I had a deal on a great CGT back in 2014 at $425k. Black with grey and full history. Was just waiting for the PPI report. Called the dealer back the next day to ask when the report was being sent and was told he had just sold the car to another buyer.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:54 PM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 320 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by SSO
I thought I had a deal on a great CGT back in 2014 at $425k. Black with grey and full history. Was just waiting for the PPI report. Called the dealer back the next day to ask when the report was being sent and was told he had just sold the car to another buyer.
If you do find one that was originally a USA car, I'd focus on one that has been in the EU for a long while so it's easy to validate it's history.

A lot came over around the time I bought mine in 2006, when you could avoid the 10% duty for re-importing to the EU and the FX was good. The second car to mine was for sale a while back GT Silver with around 10 k miles.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:07 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

hah I missed a few too - you could be saying the same thing when CGT's are above 1M still believe the CGT will be worth more than a 918 in a few years.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:42 PM
Coyft
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Does anyone know if it is possible to retro fit air conditioning? I've seen a car for sale that is good value, but no air-con.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:47 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Coyft
Does anyone know if it is possible to retro fit air conditioning? I've seen a car for sale that is good value, but no air-con.
best to ask the dealership nearest you that is qualified to work on the cars. If you're uk based (random guess you are ) that's Porsche Reading. If you need a name for the guys there let me know.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:46 AM
pors9
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Coyft
The car is worth more with no AC than with AC especially if it also has radio delete. This is rare. Do not retrofit it. This car is worth a premium for the right buyer.

Hear me now believe me later.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:13 AM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 130 Posts

Unless his priority is driving comfort rather than resale value.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:19 AM
Coyft
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It's nonsense, a car without air con is worth less, than one with.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:56 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Yeah, not sure if the non-ac thing on more modern cars is the desirable option that it once was. That being said, adding it after market is going to be a sunk cost, at best. It's going to be a story to explain if/when you ever sell it. I'd just either buy a non-ac because I wanted it or wait for one when ac instead of adding it on a car.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:41 PM
Me&You
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pors9
The car is worth more with no AC than with AC especially if it also has radio delete. This is rare. Do not retrofit it. This car is worth a premium for the right buyer.

Hear me now believe me later.
As Coyft said, this is total nonsense.

The a/c retrofit should be a simple change and would be easily reversible. Any potential buyer in the future that covets the uniqueness of a non a/c car would still consider this car based on the total package (service, mileage, color, overall condition, etc) and not let something like added (and easily reversible) a/c be a deal breaker. But that buyer pool is a drop in the ocean compared to the vast (vast, vast) majority of buyers that will prefer a car with a/c, regardless of originality.

That's how it is in the 288GTO market - a car that is worth multiples of of a CGT, from an era when a/c wasn't considered standard fare, the market has spoken - originality be damned, most buyers don't want to roast when (even if) they go for a drive.

Quick Reply: prices on CGT?