Sponsored by:

prices on CGT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 04:08 PM
bojali
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

the carrera gt registry web site: http://www.carreragtregistry.de/

has a good listing of cars and their status. Might be a good place to start and see what the current status is. (of the web host/list master)
Old 09-06-2018, 04:29 PM
pors9
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

GT Silver/Terracotta https://**********/vehicleid/502622

[
QUOTE=F40-r;15270633]

According to Carfax, the car was grey/silver.

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...&partner=ATD_W

Interior seems to have been retrimmed.
[/QUOTE]
Old 09-06-2018, 04:55 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Sure the maintenance is expensive but even my modern Ferrari's are a PITA with maintenance and frankly I'd take the CGT over all 3 of my Ferraris.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:17 PM
pors9
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
Default PORS9 Pebble Beach 2018 Recap

Just posted and ready for consumption. One CGT performed way beyond expectation!

https://**********/2018/09/05/pebble-beach-2018-recap/
Old 09-07-2018, 07:42 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
I would sell the 16M and the SV first before considering the CGT for your hypercar. You might regret it down the line
My SV Roadster is for sale - Speciale GT3RS Voo Doo will be next ...

Time to make room - you are correct but CGT is the easiest need two to go.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 09-07-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:35 PM
tims16m
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 42 Posts

I sold my 16M to make room of the CGT. I miss the 16M but comfortable letting it go to be replaced by the CGT. Maybe get another Ferrari at some point, but the CGT is just climbing in terms of price acquisition. For a good CGT it is getting more difficult to acquire at a reasonable price. I think the Ferrari while a great car is not in the same supply/demand category. However I hate the whole process of buying Preownesd cars and doing all the prepurchase inspection. So I can appreciate holding on to a car you know about even though the value may not be in your favor.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:09 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

Anyone here know anything about the higher mileage black one that was listed recently for $550k? Black isn't my favorite color personally, but could be a the right price.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:11 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

if I see a CGT at $550, I would very very briskly RUN away from it.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:28 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with your recommendation Mooty. I had been checking some of the CGT on the market as I search for very good condition CGT for a reasonable price. Those that are rather cheap in pricing requires a lot of work (money). CGT is not cheap when it comes to maintenance. Buying a rather neglected one, would cost some serious $$$.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by mooty
Old 09-08-2018, 07:21 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
Understand your thoughts Mooty, but mileage is actually good for these cars to some extent. The ones sitting and not running are a much bigger problem long term. They need to be driven. Personally, I don't want one that has less than 10k miles and I'm fine with 10-25k miles since I would drive it. Of course, if it needs tons of work and has accident history, that's a whole new discussion. Most of the time, you are correct, but once in awhile, you find a sleeper. I'm young enough to wait for that sleeper.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:42 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The difficulty with finding a high mileage car that's been properly cared for is not many owners who have driven the cars those miles and care enough to keep them in good condition are going to want to sell them!
Old 09-08-2018, 10:35 PM
ncoburn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joejenie
Understand your thoughts Mooty, but mileage is actually good for these cars to some extent. The ones sitting and not running are a much bigger problem long term. They need to be driven. Personally, I don't want one that has less than 10k miles and I'm fine with 10-25k miles since I would drive it. Of course, if it needs tons of work and has accident history, that's a whole new discussion. Most of the time, you are correct, but once in awhile, you find a sleeper. I'm young enough to wait for that sleeper.
That go-to belief that low mileage cars suffer due to lack of use is perhaps right with certain cars. I don’t think it applies in the same way to the CGT. I spent a very long time looking for the right CGT. You will find that cars with 10k+ miles may be decently maintained mechanically, but often are severely lacking cosmetically, as the drivers who put the miles on these examples weren’t thinking about collectability, particularly if those miles were put on in the early life of the cars, or when values were depressed and people weren’t thinking about it as a long-term collectible. I learned a lot watching Jimmy Repasi at Porsche Fairfield do a major on my very low mile example. With the benefit of hundreds of photos he sends of the service process, you see that the CGT is really a race car for the road, that is designed to be disassembled and maintained to an extent I’ve never seen in most road cars. The notion of an old car sitting where “all the seals and hoses are dried up” just really isn’t the case here. A major service is going to cost you $30-40k most likely, and more if a major component needs replacement, most likely from use, not non-use. Porsche recommends it on a far more frequent basis than most owners would ever tolerate, and there are many cars out there that have never had it done. And there are many examples where a service was recorded, but it was done poorly, by a mechanic who hasn’t had much CGT experience, leading to continuing problems with the vehicle. Bottom line, every CGT gets significantly refreshed during a properly done major service, and if I were looking again, and knowing I was going to have to do this service to whatever car I bought, I’m much more likely going to end up with a better overall car if I find a low mile, well cared for example than a high mile one. If there is a high mile CGT out there that has been fastidiously maintained with repeated major services ever 4-8 years, and the owner wrapped the car so the paint was perfect from day 1, and the interior still looked fresh, it is going to be priced high to account for the care it has received, and very likely, that owner isn’t looking to sell. If it is a high mile car with a lacking service history and a lot of unanswered questions about what will be found once the car actually does go into service, it will be the $550-650k car Mooty is running from, rightfully so. The no-mile car that sold at Monterey for $940k will still need a major, new tires, etc, and that owner will be in for over $1 million, and when he sells it one day, he will very likely recoup that investment and more, because good examples are increasingly hard to find, and eventually find a long-term home with a patient collector who knows he has something special. You can convince yourself by hiring a good CGT mechanic and sending him on the road to review the $600k examples for sale. They all will leave you wanting for something better. The good ones aren’t trading on Ebay, that’s for sure…

Old 09-08-2018, 10:48 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 860 Likes on 381 Posts

Agreed 100%!

In today's market, any CGT that sells below 600K is highly questionable and I would be real careful on the inspection. I'm not saying gems can't be found, but it is highly unlikely. Buying cars from well known owners with full service history is a plus. At least you know the car has been taken care of by like-minded car guys.

CGT is slowly creeping up to becoming a million dollar car, and as it should be, especially if you look at its comparable on the market today.

Originally Posted by ncoburn
That go-to belief that low mileage cars suffer due to lack of use is perhaps right with certain cars. I don’t think it applies in the same way to the CGT. I spent a very long time looking for the right CGT. You will find that cars with 10k+ miles may be decently maintained mechanically, but often are severely lacking cosmetically, as the drivers who put the miles on these examples weren’t thinking about collectability, particularly if those miles were put on in the early life of the cars, or when values were depressed and people weren’t thinking about it as a long-term collectible. I learned a lot watching Jimmy Repasi at Porsche Fairfield do a major on my very low mile example. With the benefit of hundreds of photos he sends of the service process, you see that the CGT is really a race car for the road, that is designed to be disassembled and maintained to an extent I’ve never seen in most road cars. The notion of an old car sitting where “all the seals and hoses are dried up” just really isn’t the case here. A major service is going to cost you $30-40k most likely, and more if a major component needs replacement, most likely from use, not non-use. Porsche recommends it on a far more frequent basis than most owners would ever tolerate, and there are many cars out there that have never had it done. And there are many examples where a service was recorded, but it was done poorly, by a mechanic who hasn’t had much CGT experience, leading to continuing problems with the vehicle. Bottom line, every CGT gets significantly refreshed during a properly done major service, and if I were looking again, and knowing I was going to have to do this service to whatever car I bought, I’m much more likely going to end up with a better overall car if I find a low mile, well cared for example than a high mile one. If there is a high mile CGT out there that has been fastidiously maintained with repeated major services ever 4-8 years, and the owner wrapped the car so the paint was perfect from day 1, and the interior still looked fresh, it is going to be priced high to account for the care it has received, and very likely, that owner isn’t looking to sell. If it is a high mile car with a lacking service history and a lot of unanswered questions about what will be found once the car actually does go into service, it will be the $550-650k car Mooty is running from, rightfully so. The no-mile car that sold at Monterey for $940k will still need a major, new tires, etc, and that owner will be in for over $1 million, and when he sells it one day, he will very likely recoup that investment and more, because good examples are increasingly hard to find, and eventually find a long-term home with a patient collector who knows he has something special. You can convince yourself by hiring a good CGT mechanic and sending him on the road to review the $600k examples for sale. They all will leave you wanting for something better. The good ones aren’t trading on Ebay, that’s for sure…
Old 09-09-2018, 12:28 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by isv
The difficulty with finding a high mileage car that's been properly cared for is not many owners who have driven the cars those miles and care enough to keep them in good condition are going to want to sell them!
right on.
but my will go from 2k to 10k by mid 2019 and it will be maintained and detailed to death.
don't think I will ever sell the thing

Originally Posted by ncoburn
the car sold at Monterey should have been a lot less. I saw the car and know the owner.
and yes, you are right, it needs a lot of service.
and not many cars have had engine out every 4 years. I got really lucky. the freak owner did engine out service every 4 years like clock work. one owner car with paper dating to day 1

Originally Posted by unotaz
Agreed 100%!

In today's market, any CGT that sells below 600K is highly questionable and I would be real careful on the inspection. I'm not saying gems can't be found, but it is highly unlikely. Buying cars from well known owners with full service history is a plus. At least you know the car has been taken care of by like-minded car guys.

CGT is slowly creeping up to becoming a million dollar car, and as it should be, especially if you look at its comparable on the market today.
yep. so lmk when you don't like your anymore ;-)
preferably before it hits $1MM
Old 09-09-2018, 04:06 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Ncoburn, I found quite the opposite on CGt's including feedback from the techs/mechanics that work on them. Cosmetic condition, I agree, lower miles usually = better example. On the mechanical side, the low mile examples I inspected needed as much of more mechanical attention. Many have never had an engine out. And there are some mechanical issues specific to CGTs that tend to be more problematic in examples that sit.

At the ends of the spectrum, I had a 600mi car that needed $30k and a 12kmi that needed wiper blades.

And, yes, Jimmy is the man when it comes to these cars.

YMMV

Quick Reply: prices on CGT?