Sponsored by:

Why Buying a 918 was an Investment From the Beginning

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 09:57 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 528 Posts

Funny about that 150k number.

I have in my possession the dealer pricing guide for the car and all the options.

Dealer mark up on the car is 40k. Less than 5% even on a base car.

Dealer mark up on options are on average 6-7%.

On a completed car, a dealer only makes peanuts, 5.something % per car.

A dealer makes on average a lot less than 60k on a single 918, not counting the kick back later. Some cars are really CXX-ed and the selling price and options margin are higher, but not much.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:36 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Funny about that 150k number.

I have in my possession the dealer pricing guide for the car and all the options.

Dealer mark up on the car is 40k. Less than 5% even on a base car.

Dealer mark up on options are on average 6-7%.

On a completed car, a dealer only makes peanuts, 5.something % per car.

A dealer makes on average a lot less than 60k on a single 918, not counting the kick back later. Some cars are really CXX-ed and the selling price and options margin are higher, but not much.
That's one part but far from the whole.

Dealers who sold a 918 - did they receive 918 tech training / equipment.

More hard to get dealer allocations like Macans - add those dealers who hold title and require the car be turned back to dealer.

Then add a side deal where all the special P cars go back to the dealer and all those sales - all of which the dealer received from the sale of the 918.

Guessing the avg dealer who sold those same customers 2 - 3 other cars and flipped them perhaps splitting those profits and or the customers 918 made a lil more than 60k as in multiples of 60k.

Looking back - there wouldn't be a dealer who would not take 150k off to get all the potential profits that are associated with the 918.

Again - many dealers require the 918 to be sold back to the dealer for market not to be above sticker - Ferrari dealers have been doing this for a long time even Ford with the GT got into that act. Dealers are working with 918 customers as are GT dealers to split the profits all day long
Old 07-01-2018, 07:54 PM
MikeGT
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't know about Ferrari dealers, but there is no agreement with Ford to sell the FGT back to the dealer. 90% of the transaction is done directly through Ford. The customer chooses the dealer he wants to take delivery and sign the paperwork. Besides the owner having to hold the car for 24 months (and a couple other minor details), the customer can do what he wants with the FGT after two years.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:19 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGT
I don't know about Ferrari dealers, but there is no agreement with Ford to sell the FGT back to the dealer. 90% of the transaction is done directly through Ford. The customer chooses the dealer he wants to take delivery and sign the paperwork. Besides the owner having to hold the car for 24 months (and a couple other minor details), the customer can do what he wants with the FGT after two years.
Agree and believe Ford's exercising rights for the first time - 24 months my guess always be a big premium.

Quick Reply: Why Buying a 918 was an Investment From the Beginning