Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Incredible, your work is great!

Merit Partners
info@meritpartners.com

Old 03-11-2018, 09:09 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

Brilliant stuff--doubly impressive when you managed the whole thing by yourself!!
Old 03-11-2018, 09:10 PM
jimmyrepasi
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 121 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S_fan
Nice work!
Thank you Dennis! I think its time to update your signature!

Originally Posted by Merit Partners
Incredible, your work is great!
Thanks Guys!

Originally Posted by CRex
Brilliant stuff--doubly impressive when you managed the whole thing by yourself!!
Thanks! This is around my 39th-40th CGT engine I've removed, practice makes perfect!
Old 03-21-2018, 02:55 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Love it, we need more time lapses of your work!

One question - why are the ramps left on the floor throughout the process?
Old 03-28-2018, 12:44 AM
jimmyrepasi
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Love it, we need more time lapses of your work!

One question - why are the ramps left on the floor throughout the process?

Thanks! If you have any requests i wouldn't mind taking some more. The only reason they were left there was because I hadn't picked them up yet. Was trying to work as efficiently as possible. I removed them later for the floors to be cleaned
Old 03-28-2018, 03:08 AM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 130 Posts

Jimmy I have a question for you. I've owned my 2005 cgt for over six years, it still has original clutch and has never had valves adjusted. I take it in to porsche every year for normal fluids and it's had the 15k service. Car runs phenomenal and the clutch measures just under 30mm presently. I have over 21k miles on the clock. Do valves need to be adjusted soon, and if so why? Should I do the clutch at same time if it gives no signs of fatigue? The only thing I notice about the clutch is a slight shimmy when engaging in reverse. Thank you!
Old 03-29-2018, 06:23 PM
jimmyrepasi
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by E-Man
Jimmy I have a question for you. I've owned my 2005 cgt for over six years, it still has original clutch and has never had valves adjusted. I take it in to porsche every year for normal fluids and it's had the 15k service. Car runs phenomenal and the clutch measures just under 30mm presently. I have over 21k miles on the clock. Do valves need to be adjusted soon, and if so why? Should I do the clutch at same time if it gives no signs of fatigue? The only thing I notice about the clutch is a slight shimmy when engaging in reverse. Thank you!

There are many different opinions on when the engine out valve adjustment is necessary on these engines. Following the Porsche Maintenance schedule Porsche states the engine to be removed and the valves adjusted every 30k miles or 4 years. I agree with most in thinking that is far more frequent than necessary when the vehicle is following the balance of the service schedule. What is important, is thoroughly completing the first engine out valve adjustment as early as possible. Documented in a previous thread on PolarPeters Carrera GT found HERE there are a number of items that are addressed in that first valve adjustment service that if put off can cause more costly repairs. The two biggest items being a Porsche Campaign (recall) that is designed to extend the life the clutch slave cylinder ($7k part) that if fails can contaminate the clutch. And second, when the valve covers are removed the camshafts need to be thoroughly inspected. One third of the Carrera GTs I inspect require new camshafts due to the hardened surface on the cam lobe pitting. Below is a photo of pitted camshafts in a Carrera GT with 8k miles. In this instance all camshafts and valve buckets need to be replaced.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:03 PM
lightguy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder what caused the pitting ?
I know with guns lack of oil / lubrication will cause pits.
Incredible as it may seem driving these cars may actually extend the life.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:41 AM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Jimmy, presumably the pitting is occurring while running mobil 1 oil. What do you recommend for the cgt?
Old 05-11-2018, 11:18 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by lightguy
I wonder what caused the pitting ?
I know with guns lack of oil / lubrication will cause pits.
Incredible as it may seem driving these cars may actually extend the life.
Agree at least starting and moving the car even if minimal is required.

Parts with oil or like faculties require movement.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:32 PM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 320 Likes on 92 Posts

For reference, I have a 2004 CGT that I bought in 2006 at 7200 miles. I've had the engine out service completed at 4, 8 and 12 years and the valve clearances have never required any adjustment. Car is on 39k miles now.

I know of one slightly higher mileage car that needed the valves adjusted at 41k miles. From memory very few have required adjustment when I last spoke with Porsche Reading who are the UK service centre for 980.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:54 PM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RS Clubsport
For reference, I have a 2004 CGT that I bought in 2006 at 7200 miles. I've had the engine out service completed at 4, 8 and 12 years and the valve clearances have never required any adjustment. Car is on 39k miles now.

I know of one slightly higher mileage car that needed the valves adjusted at 41k miles. From memory very few have required adjustment when I last spoke with Porsche Reading who are the UK service centre for 980.
I've heard the same thing about the need to adjust valves over here as well. Remind me at how many miles did your CGT need a new clutch? I've scheduled the major for my car in the next few weeks.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:08 PM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 320 Likes on 92 Posts

I've heard the same thing about the need to adjust valves over here as well. Remind me at how many miles did your CGT need a new clutch? I've scheduled the major for my car in the next few weeks.
I'd have to check but around 28k miles. It was at the second engine out service and I was doing about 5-6k miles a year and a lot of track days. We calculated the original might not last until the next engine out service (which may have been another 25k miles) so elected to put a new one in as the engine was out. That clutch is at just under 31.00mm with 10k miles after 6 years or so, with the reduced mileage the old one would have been fine still.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carrera GT Engine Removed In 60 Seconds