Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wing didnt close fully flush

Old 01-08-2017, 09:27 PM
Allan-BilletDesign
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Rear wing didnt close fully flush

Anyone have this issue? After driving today, I noticed the rear wing on the passenger side was about a 1/4 inch higher than on the driver side. I tried to open and close it manually but it stayed the same. No warning lights. Is there a fix for this or does it need to go to the dealer? Thank you!
Old 01-10-2017, 03:03 AM
ByeEnzo
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 78 Posts

The system is hydraulic. Raises under pressure and lowers when the low pressure side releases. There is a return spring that pulls the towers on both sides down. One side is hanging up (binding). My wing did this and I had both sides (struts) replaced. $8k including labor at Porsche dealer.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:49 PM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 57 Posts

I also had to spend $7000 to fix mine. My mechanic suggested not to leave the wing up when car is turned off as this would eventually damage the pumps.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:21 PM
smokeygt
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

What you're saying is, is that pressure pushes it up and springs pull it down. If that is the case, then leaving it up surely stretches that spring and it would get weaker if left in the up position. Great tip! That's what I love about this forum.

I seem to recall on an earlier post, someone was talking about an electric actuator retrofit, anyone have any experience with them they are willing to share?
Old 01-12-2017, 02:53 AM
MikeGT
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

Allan,
I had this happen a couple of months ago. I worked it up and down a few times and it finally landed straight. No problems since... but I'm sure it will be back... cause I'm just not that lucky...

If you need it fixed but do not want to spend 7-8k, PM me for a contact.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:58 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default eRam Kit

Originally Posted by smokeygt
What you're saying is, is that pressure pushes it up and springs pull it down. If that is the case, then leaving it up surely stretches that spring and it would get weaker if left in the up position. Great tip! That's what I love about this forum.

I seem to recall on an earlier post, someone was talking about an electric actuator retrofit, anyone have any experience with them they are willing to share?
That would be our eRam product. A gentleman called me today about fitting an eRam kit onto a CGT. I'll see if it's possible. For a bit of light reading, here are at least 12 THINGS that can go wrong with the hydraulic system, a poor design to start with.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:48 AM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
That would be our eRam product. A gentleman called me today about fitting an eRam kit onto a CGT. I'll see if it's possible. For a bit of light reading, here are at least 12 THINGS that can go wrong with the hydraulic system, a poor design to start with.
Word of advice. DO NOT leave the wing up when you park the car. The hydraulics go bad. This was my $7000 lesson.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:59 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Can anyone time the wing from down to up and up to down. I am working on a solution to the hydraulics.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:38 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

I found the wing speed in a YouTube video. It is fast. Development work continues - the 3D cad work is nearly done. I'm tracking the engineering and build work HERE if anybody is interested.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:39 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

The Carrera GT electric wing actuation using eRam system development is nearly finished. Video of prototype operating
Facebook Post
Old 05-14-2018, 06:17 AM
chayanin
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any news at all, my CGT rear wing is starting to have the same problem especially on the passenger side doesn't want to come down sometimes. Thank you.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:33 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

We have installed the Carrera GT eRam Kit in Florida. I'm waiting for pictures.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:47 AM
ByeEnzo
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by chayanin
Any news at all, my CGT rear wing is starting to have the same problem especially on the passenger side doesn't want to come down sometimes. Thank you.
Chayanin,

Thank you for your inquiry. The wing on the CGT is hydraulic. High pressure from the pump pushes it up. When it comes down the system has a low pressure return of hydraulic fluid to the pump reservoir. What hangs up is the return spring inside the strut. It is mechanically binding. That causes it to come back down slowly. My struts had to be replaced a few years ago. Cost me $6000 parts plus $2000 labor USD. Someone was thinking of designing an electric non hydraulic version aftermarket....looks like it's finally installed in Florida! Hope this helps!
I was on a ocean cruise that stopped in Bangkok and Koh Samui last year. Loved visiting your country!
Regards, AC

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear wing didnt close fully flush