Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960 (https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-supercars-carrera-gt-918-960-112/)
-   -   CGT needs better rubber (https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-supercars-carrera-gt-918-960/1055017-cgt-needs-better-rubber.html)

nuvolari612 03-04-2018 10:47 AM

CGT needs better rubber

After receiving the CGT from a recent service including new tires - there is a difference but still old tech.

Michelin or another factory needs to step up and introduce a newer tire - amount of use most CGT tires age out before they wear out.

cgt04115 03-04-2018 11:03 AM

I can agree, any car with similar specs built today would have PS Cup 2 tires at minimum.

FORTUNATELY if you move to a 345 rear the PS Cup 2 becomes an option. I don’t think the extra width throws anything off but would love to hear others opinions. Will most likely go this route next tire swap.

nuvolari612 03-04-2018 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by cgt04115 (Post 14845797)
I can agree, any car with similar specs built today would have PS Cup 2 tires at minimum.

FORTUNATELY if you move to a 345 rear the PS Cup 2 becomes an option. I don’t think the extra width throws anything off but would love to hear others opinions. Will most likely go this route next tire swap.

Tried - P dealer looked into it and would not or perhaps could not install.

PS cup 2 would be massive improvement - Porsche needs to help out with this even the improved tire wasn't much of an improvement.

cgt04115 03-04-2018 05:11 PM

Your dealer most likely won’t stray from anything stock for various reasons. Legal mostly......

a little fat out back never hurt no one right? To me the Cup tires are available for this car.

Maybe im wrong?

nuvolari612 03-04-2018 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by cgt04115 (Post 14846566)
Your dealer most likely won’t stray from anything stock for various reasons. Legal mostly......

a little fat out back never hurt no one right? To me the Cup tires are available for this car.

Maybe im wrong?

Agree and agree which is why I thought it would be a no brainer but got the no.

If someone else is or would be the guinea pig be great to hear.

It's been 4 -5 years since Porsche and Michelin have invested in the CGT - can't be that big of deal to upgrade us to a proper tire.

3000 lb.s 610hp is deserving.

CRex 03-05-2018 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
After receiving the CGT from a recent service including new tires - there is a difference but still old tech.

Michelin or another factory needs to step up and introduce a newer tire - amount of use most CGT tires age out before they wear out.

Which Mich tire are you running? Pls don't tell me the PS2...

RS Clubsport 03-06-2018 03:38 AM

I’ve run Pilot Sport Cup 2 and Pilot Sport 4S and absolutely no issues at all, both in 345 Rear sizes.

nuvolari612 03-06-2018 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by CRex (Post 14848046)
Which Mich tire are you running? Pls don't tell me the PS2...

Not much of a choice - see the invoice. https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...cd95884247.jpg

nuvolari612 03-06-2018 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by RS Clubsport (Post 14850158)
I’ve run Pilot Sport Cup 2 and Pilot Sport 4S and absolutely no issues at all, both in 345 Rear sizes.

Noticeable difference?

I'm sure they work but Porsche needs to authorize - dealers won't install I think it's illegal in some places to run unauthorized tires then you have insurance list goes on.

Porsche simply needs to invest to properly update the CGT.

go-ran 03-06-2018 09:55 AM

Im sure the dealer would install if you purchase them and bring them for installation.

Catorce 03-06-2018 12:48 PM

Why does the dealer need to install them for you anyways. They are tires for god sakes. Any tire shop can do this. Put the car up on a lift (you do have a lift in your garage, right?), remove wheels, take wheels to tire shop, replace tires.

TJF 03-06-2018 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Catorce (Post 14850852)
Why does the dealer need to install them for you anyways. They are tires for god sakes. Any tire shop can do this. Put the car up on a lift (you do have a lift in your garage, right?), remove wheels, take wheels to tire shop, replace tires.

There magnesium rims and I would not let just any shop work with them.Find a shop with some touchless machines.

Catorce 03-06-2018 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by TJF (Post 14850981)
There magnesium rims and I would not let just any shop work with them.Find a shop with some touchless machines.

Of course, I wasn't suggesting taking them to the Wal Mart tire center. Find a good local who knows what they are doing. For example, the local America's tire does all my stuff. They just used the touchless on my $15K custom width Speedlines on my Turbo Targa. No issues at all, as usual. Also, they have a road force balancer which is nice; balances the tire with simulated road pressure on the tires. Find one good technician, tip well, and have them do all your stuff.

For this reason, I never bring the cars to the tire place. I lift the car, remove tires, put in SUV, then have them work on just rims and tires. This way there is no issue with test drives or improper lifting.

nuvolari612 03-06-2018 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Catorce (Post 14850852)

You are a sponsor here - Bubba Gump pert dat dere Karrera GThingy up on yer der liffft n rtcht dat torker off dat centr cap tughten it left lossy rity tity n shuv it on der thn tk dat cntr cappy n tigten her up agin shes be gooded den bfor ... that's being kind :) no offense but a nice scrape to a wheel or fender bumper etc and car takes a 50k loss.

Friend took his CGT to a Porsche dealer they nicked the door with another car door he felt it took a 50 -75k depreciation as he had a seller. The buyer agreed to 50k and the P dealer wrote him a check this was a year ago.

I'm pretty sure Bob's tire shop does not want to work on a 6 - 800k 200mph car knowing the risk.

Regardless absolute zero relevance to what I posted - point is Porsche simply has to push Michelin to step up.

Catorce 03-06-2018 06:27 PM

First and foremost I'm an enthusiast and collector. I had to get a sponsorship because I sell one thing (1). So I decided to support the board, but I have been retired for years. Second of all, you were complaining the dealer would not install modern tires on your car. Why you don't bypass the dealer altogether is beyond me. Why you are waiting for the factory to continue to support a car decades out of production is also lost on me.

My suggestion, like one other person posted, is to put modern rubber on the car, dealer and factory be damned. It has EVERY relevance to your post. It's not a Veyron, it doesn't use bespoke tires, move on.