Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help... Hunting for a CGT in the UK/Europe - Good Price and What to look out for

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 09:41 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber

You seem to be correct.

May I ask, do prices drop sometimes on these beauties or do they just keep going up?
They just keep going up.

Any owner who could actually drive one is sorry they let it go regardless of price.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:04 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

How prices trend is anyone's guess and most of us owners are understandably axed one way...

But I do think the *value* of hyper-Porsches relative to 911s will increasingly diverge, as internal combustion engines get phased out and those with means look for "tentpole" vehicles of the fossil-fuel era.

If that's view's too far downrange, in the near term I'm quite convinced that manufacturers have learned their lesson and will not entrust the public with another raw, unassisted supercar which frankly demands finesse. The 918 has already gone the other way (huge respect for that car but it is eminently a different ethos). The CGT is and will remain the last of the no-holds-barred generation.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:37 AM
F40-r
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Most definitely the last raw car made.

Sadly, they have crepped away from the £500’s and are now edging into the 6’s+.

The appreciation will show sometime soon, they are still well priced when compared to very comparable cars that are priced at double and more.

The CGT is a hypercar, the cheapest one in that category. (debatable, although how can you place it in the same Calibre as a Ferrari 360, 911 GT2, Lamborghini Murcielago etc)
Old 01-31-2018, 06:32 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by F40-r

The appreciation will show sometime soon, they are still well priced when compared to very comparable cars that are priced at double and more.

The CGT is a hypercar, the cheapest one in that category. (debatable, although how can you place it in the same Calibre as a Ferrari 360, 911 GT2, Lamborghini Murcielago etc)
i would love a black car but most seem to be Silver. Is silver on brown the most desirable combo? Is this combo the best to go for from an appreciation standpoint? I don’t mind wrapping the car so not a biggie.

Anything wrong with a a 2004? Heard some clutch issues on the 04s.

Thanks
Old 01-31-2018, 06:41 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ervin Wu
You could ask @Whoopsy on Instagram as he has recently acquired a Carrera GT in the UK.
Really nice guy

Originally Posted by CRex
How prices trend is anyone's guess and most of us owners are understandably axed one way...

But I do think the *value* of hyper-Porsches relative to 911s will increasingly diverge, as internal combustion engines get phased out and those with means look for "tentpole" vehicles of the fossil-fuel era.

If that's view's too far downrange, in the near term I'm quite convinced that manufacturers have learned their lesson and will not entrust the public with another raw, unassisted supercar which frankly demands finesse. The 918 has already gone the other way (huge respect for that car but it is eminently a different ethos). The CGT is and will remain the last of the no-holds-barred generation.
This makes so much sense. I am going to have to let some cars go to make this happen. It is my biggest car purchase by a big stretch, but it’s a dream and should appreciate further. This car has so much character!!!

Looking at my incoming cars in a very different light. At the end of an era now and time to decide which can go and which are keepers for the long term.

Going to have really think about which beauties to kiss goodbye.

Thank you
Old 01-31-2018, 06:46 AM
F40-r
Instructor

i would love a black car but most seem to be Silver. Is silver on brown the most desirable combo? Is this combo the best to go for from an appreciation standpoint? I don’t mind wrapping the car so not a biggie.

Anything wrong with a a 2004? Heard some clutch issues on the 04s.

Thanks
No issues with 2004, although most people want a 2005.

Take the plunge, you will not regret it, if anything, like me, you will want a second one.

personslly, I prefer it in silver, it tends to look great and it shows the lines a lot more. I guess silver was the launch colour...

It doesn’t matter whether you go black, ascot or terracotta, they’ll hold the same.

I like Terracotta but stuck with black and I don’t regret it, I believe it will remain timeless in that colour combo.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:42 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Porsche CGT vs Enzo F40 F50 - few things holding it back in part the short term owners and the factory when they adjusted the 918 program by offering all limited editions to the 918 owners to sell out the 918.

Ferrari has a rewards program for their special cars whereas Porsche only the 918 buyers which flooded the market with CGT's trading in for the 918 - knee jerk reaction by Porsche.

CGT is meaningless to Porsche as they offer nothing to the owners which is in part why most CGT owners do not own other Porsches.

Imagine Porsche producing a limited edition for current CGT owners - prices collectability etc would heat up all one has to do is look at the results of Porsche Ferrari McLaren and even Ford with the GT.

Fact is the CGT punches far above it's class at todays price solely on it's own.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 01-31-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:17 AM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used her on slicks once and not much could get away ...

Don't believe the hype , the Cgt can drift with the best of them

It's blasphemy not to track these cars
Hi All,

Can you guys advise me please? I am new to hunting for a CGT and I am in the UK.

I am looking for a car with the following:
- Preferred Colour is Black, second is either GT Silver or White
- Enough miles on it to where it can be can enjoy without really hurting its value or taking a big depreciation hit. Is that around 5k to 10k miles? I don't care about it making money just not losing too much. Advice?

I am based in the UK, so should I try and buy in the UK or in Europe?

What is considered a great price for a car that has been well looked after and meets the above criteria?

My research shows maintenance ins't too bad unless the clutch needs changing? Thoughts?

Anything to look out for when buying?

Thank you for taking the time to help!
I doubt you will get a low miles car for the budget you have in mind .

Best thing you can do is talk to any Keywood or John manning at porsche reading , they deal with and know all the carrera gt's in the uk .
(Tell them doom sent you and say hi please ) expensive is clutch , brake disks and big engine out service .
check the droplinks , I recommend removing the +10 ones if they are optioned (not cheap)
check dampers for leaks (use your hands as fluid can be very thin and not very visible)
try to get the car checked over by john or Andy and factor in the big service or new clutch in the sales price .
dont be put off by a high Miles car that's known to them .
still the best car (very close is the f50)
Old 02-10-2018, 10:54 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

I don't think the prices for cars in this general bracket are gonna go up by much in the near term. If anything, that could be the opportunity to get a second car. Say, a high-miler with dirt in the wheel wells, one which can be driven with (relatively more) abandon...

And kudos to wtdoom for really taking this car to its limit, at one of the most legendary tracks no less!
Old 02-10-2018, 12:23 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Thank you all for the great advice.

If I am going to make this happen and CGT values aren’t due to rise much anytime soon (I know not for certain), I will need to sell at least two of the incoming Porsche’s, after some enjoyment, back through my Porsche dealer. I will let me Dealer know I want them to help me find a CGT through Porsche Reading.

- GT2 RS
- .2 GT3 RS
. .2 GT3 Touring
- 991 Speedster (hopefully)

Which two would you let go in order to have a CGT in the garage? This is my all time favourite car so willing to do it.

Is there one or two you would never sell?

The goal of the garage is to keep truly special cars for the long term, to enjoy with my boys as they grow, while they hopefully show little if any depreciation.

Please note that I have done very little tracking, but I plan on tracking more. I am certainly a beginner.

Thank you all for the amazing advice!
Old 02-10-2018, 12:52 PM
F40-r
Instructor

The GT2RS is a definite keeper, apparently they’re currently reaching £450-500k.

991.2 GT3RS will be second, the other two cars I wouldn’t really bother with.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:34 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

The GT2RS is a definite keeper, apparently they’re currently reaching £450-500k.

991.2 GT3RS will be second, the other two cars I wouldn’t really bother with.
Agree.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:49 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by W8MM
Agree.
Would you let the GT2 go for the CGT? I couldn’t swing both. Training the GT2 with Porsche helps bridge the gap for a nice CGT.

The Speedster is rumoured to have the gt3 4.0 engine, Manual, and essentially be a 911r convertible. Isn’t that a keeper?
Old 02-10-2018, 03:02 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Would you let the GT2 go for the CGT? I couldn’t swing both. Training the GT2 with Porsche helps bridge the gap for a nice CGT.

The Speedster is rumoured to have the gt3 4.0 engine, Manual, and essentially be a 911r convertible. Isn’t that a keeper?

All depends on personal taste.

I gave up my CGT for the 918. I haven't looked back. I actually like to drive my cars on tracks and the 918 doesn't always feel like it's trying to kill me compared to my CGT, which often did. Maybe I'm a "bad" driver, but I like cars that are predictable at the limit. 918 > CGT.

The 991 GT2RS is a seriously fast car, 6'47" vs 7'28" over the CGT on the Nordscheife. That difference is hard to comprehend, it's so great. It's even faster than the 918 there. If your sense of value goes to fast, the GT2RS is much more desirable than the CGT.

If your taste goes to historical high points in which one can be seen, the CGT is absolutely iconic.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:04 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by W8MM
All depends on personal taste.

I gave up my CGT for the 918. I haven't looked back. I actually like to drive my cars on tracks and the 918 doesn't always feel like it's trying to kill me compared to my CGT, which often did. Maybe I'm a "bad" driver, but I like cars that are predictable at the limit. 918 > CGT.

The 991 GT2RS is a seriously fast car, 6'47" vs 7'28" over the CGT on the Nordscheife. That difference is hard to comprehend, it's so great. It's even faster than the 918 there. If your sense of value goes to fast, the GT2RS is much more desirable than the CGT.

If your taste goes to historical high points in which one can be seen, the CGT is absolutely iconic.
You make some great points.

These cars are 90% for street use but I hope to develop a love for tracking. So enjoying “fast” for me is more the driving experience below 110mph (sound, acceleration, handling, etc).

If I am being honest with myself I love the look and performance of the GT2. It is the most tempting of all Porsches in the lineup and does pull at my heart strings. I have always wanted a GT2 since the 996.

When I look towards the future, I think the 992 GT2 will likely be hybrid going forward (which might leave this gt2 as an iconic piece of history), but there will be many epic performance cars with turboed and hybrid engines and flappy paddles. There will likely be ones in the near future that will even beat the GT2 ringtime (720lt, 488GTO, etc).

I have always loved NA cars like the f430 and 458. The sound, high revs and linear power is epic. The only turbo car I ever drove much was the Bentley GT modded and tuned to 700hp. I hated it but that was likely more to do with it being a bloated whale with useless paddles. I also wonder if the GT2 is too fast to even enjoy on the street. Some people even say a manual GT3 is too fast to enjoy on the street.

This current decision is the biggest in my lifetime love of cars and I don’t know if I will be able to afford a CGT in the future. It is truly special.

I am certainly not a “good” driver and the fact you track often means your better than me. Part of me does worry the CGT might be a handful for me. I have driven fast cars hard but they always had computer aids, etc. That danger/hard to master component to the car is also appealing in a weird way.

I can’t ignore the financial component, because I would already be priced out of buying a well looked after low mileage CGT if I wasn’t able to allocate one or two of these upcoming cars to it.

Given all factors, having an iconic, appreciating, drivers car has to be the first priority. I think all GT cars are drivers cars and the CGT certainly is. The GT2 and CGT are both iconic. The GT2 has seen substantial appreciation in th the short, after all they are retailing only around £150k less than a CGT right now, but this is likely short term I would imagine, unless production numbers are around 1,000 cars.

Tough decisions, but fun ones. Sorry for the long winded post but wanted to give more insight into my thoughts and situation.

Thank you all for the continued great advice!

Quick Reply: Help... Hunting for a CGT in the UK/Europe - Good Price and What to look out for