Help... Hunting for a CGT in the UK/Europe - Good Price and What to look out for - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Reload this Page >

Help... Hunting for a CGT in the UK/Europe - Good Price and What to look out for

Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:

Help... Hunting for a CGT in the UK/Europe - Good Price and What to look out for

Old 02-10-2018, 05:14 PM
  #31  
BrntRubber
User
Thread Starter
 
BrntRubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 838
Default

Originally Posted by wtdoom View Post


I used her on slicks once and not much could get away ...


Don't believe the hype , the Cgt can drift with the best of them


It's blasphemy not to track these cars
Just Awesome!
BrntRubber is offline  
Old 02-11-2018, 10:10 AM
  #32  
Taffy66
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 237
Default

When the CGT was launched it was so advanced,so far ahead of its time that tyre technology at that time was at least one generation behind..This in itself is not a problem on everyday cars however in the CGT case it imbued it with a rather unfair 'widow maker' reputation..Rather ironically the CGT is more relevant today as the latest tyres eg Michelin PSS and PS4S have finally caught up resulting in a safer and ultimately nicer driving experience IMHO..
The CGT is also my favourite car of all time and in your case i would unfortunately let the GT2 RS go especially if get the much mooted £500k for it as it would fund 80% of the new CGT.. The new .3RS.2 and Touring will both be the last ever of their kind as both are NASP and one manual but the 992 GT2 RS will be an even quicker version of the current one..
Taffy66 is offline  
Old 02-11-2018, 11:08 AM
  #33  
BrntRubber
User
Thread Starter
 
BrntRubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 838
Default

Originally Posted by Taffy66 View Post
When the CGT was launched it was so advanced,so far ahead of its time that tyre technology at that time was at least one generation behind..This in itself is not a problem on everyday cars however in the CGT case it imbued it with a rather unfair 'widow maker' reputation..Rather ironically the CGT is more relevant today as the latest tyres eg Michelin PSS and PS4S have finally caught up resulting in a safer and ultimately nicer driving experience IMHO..
The CGT is also my favourite car of all time and in your case i would unfortunately let the GT2 RS go especially if get the much mooted £500k for it as it would fund 80% of the new CGT.. The new .3RS.2 and Touring will both be the last ever of their kind as both are NASP and one manual but the 992 GT2 RS will be an even quicker version of the current one..
Very helpful! Thank you
BrntRubber is offline  
Old 02-12-2018, 05:02 AM
  #34  
Whoopsy
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Whoopsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,901
Default

Originally Posted by Ervin Wu View Post
Sorry, I wasn't thinking straight. I mean @Woppum on Instagram. Whoopsy lives in Vancouver. Woppum is also on Rennlist.
Haha you caught yourself in time. But then again I haven't been in here for a while.

I wa trying really hard to find 'my' CGT in my garage and I couldn't find it
Whoopsy is offline  
Old 02-12-2018, 05:11 AM
  #35  
Whoopsy
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Whoopsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,901
Default

To OP, aka BrntRubber,

Price of CGT are coming back down to earth, actually all collectors cars are. if you are not in a hurry to get one, wait a bit and they will come back even more.

I was in Scottsdale earlier, and while Goodings sold one at 650k US, Worldwide's CGT couldn't cross 600k and went unsold. It had a reserve of 625k and it was offered to us at 600k. No one bite. The next day, the CGT that was suppose to go on the block at Bonhams got pulled because of the no-sale at Worldwide the night before.

Oh, as for your choice to let go among the 4 cars, keep the GT2RS and the Speedster if you can get one. The GT3 Touring is over rated and the .2GT3RS is not THAT much improved over the .1 GT3RS. Majority of the gain will be from the N2 tires vs the N1. The new engine does pull harder in the mid range though.
Whoopsy is offline  
Old 02-12-2018, 06:01 AM
  #36  
Taffy66
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 237
Default

Originally Posted by Whoopsy View Post
To OP, aka BrntRubber,

Price of CGT are coming back down to earth, actually all collectors cars are. if you are not in a hurry to get one, wait a bit and they will come back even more.

I was in Scottsdale earlier, and while Goodings sold one at 650k US, Worldwide's CGT couldn't cross 600k and went unsold. It had a reserve of 625k and it was offered to us at 600k. No one bite. The next day, the CGT that was suppose to go on the block at Bonhams got pulled because of the no-sale at Worldwide the night before.

Oh, as for your choice to let go among the 4 cars, keep the GT2RS and the Speedster if you can get one. The GT3 Touring is over rated and the .2GT3RS is not THAT much improved over the .1 GT3RS. Majority of the gain will be from the N2 tires vs the N1. The new engine does pull harder in the mid range though.
Very interesting insight..I have a new GT3 PDK and i love it and probably upgrading to the new .2GT3RS end of the year and agree the new one seems only a slight improvement on the gen 1..When you say the Touring is overrated what exactly do you mean as i've only read good things however i accept its only a cosmetic change over the winged version..
Taffy66 is offline  
Old 02-12-2018, 06:06 AM
  #37  
BrntRubber
User
Thread Starter
 
BrntRubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 838
Default

Originally Posted by Whoopsy View Post
To OP, aka BrntRubber,

Price of CGT are coming back down to earth, actually all collectors cars are. if you are not in a hurry to get one, wait a bit and they will come back even more.

I was in Scottsdale earlier, and while Goodings sold one at 650k US, Worldwide's CGT couldn't cross 600k and went unsold. It had a reserve of 625k and it was offered to us at 600k. No one bite. The next day, the CGT that was suppose to go on the block at Bonhams got pulled because of the no-sale at Worldwide the night before.

Oh, as for your choice to let go among the 4 cars, keep the GT2RS and the Speedster if you can get one. The GT3 Touring is over rated and the .2GT3RS is not THAT much improved over the .1 GT3RS. Majority of the gain will be from the N2 tires vs the N1. The new engine does pull harder in the mid range though.
Great to know pricing is coming down. Thank you! I will let it be known I am looking and sit tight. The markets seem to entering troubled times which might also help push prices down further.

Thanks for giving your thoughts on which to let go. Is the Speedster definitely getting the 4.0? The 4.0 and a manual is really tempting.
BrntRubber is offline  
Old 02-12-2018, 06:14 AM
  #38  
Whoopsy
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Whoopsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,901
Default

Originally Posted by Taffy66 View Post
Very interesting insight..I have a new GT3 PDK and i love it and probably upgrading to the new .2GT3RS end of the year and agree the new one seems only a slight improvement on the gen 1..When you say the Touring is overrated what exactly do you mean as i've only read good things however i accept its only a cosmetic change over the winged version..
Exactly. Mechanically, it IS a GT3 in manual, nothing more. Even the shocks tuning is the same. Only reason some people went gaga over it was that it doesn't have a wing and can pass for a 911R. If not for the single mass fly wheel, which not all the 911R has, the manual GT3 is better in any way measured. The firmer suspension will make the car more connected to the road and it has the better engine, proper Motorsport derived no less.

For canyon carving, it will react exactly the same as a wing-ed GT3, the spoiler won't come in effect at those speed, which also means more direct than a 911R, which will have more body roll.

But for you, going from a .2 GT3 to a .2GT3RS will be a big step. An RS is an RS, it will be more hardcore track focused. The advantage will show up big time on a track. But for street driving, a GT3 will be miles better. The less firm suspension will be much better to live with. But for those with a .1 GT3RS, there really isn't enough difference. But knowing most here on Rennlist, they will all go nuts trying to get the 'last' of the NA GT cars. Until the Speedster comes along...........
Whoopsy is offline  
Old 02-12-2018, 06:34 AM
  #39  
Whoopsy
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Whoopsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,901
Default

Originally Posted by BrntRubber View Post

Great to know pricing is coming down. Thank you! I will let it be known I am looking and sit tight. The markets seem to entering troubled times which might also help push prices down further.

Thanks for giving your thoughts on which to let go. Is the Speedster definitely getting the 4.0? The 4.0 and a manual is really tempting.
As I said, not just the CGT, basically every car that went across the block last month either barely meet the low estimate or not even getting there. Some auction houses gave unreal estimates for setting reserve and those obviously went no-sale. Others are more realistic and accommodate the lowered pricing. Lately the stock market won't help propping up prices either.

Some here will fiercely disagreed with the lowered price, but they were artificially inflated because of how Paul Walker died and people went into a feeding frenzy. The low mileage one would fetch the most but they will also be the ones with the most problems. Porsches are made to be driven, and if a car doesn't have enough mileage on it, it just means the car has been neglected. Problems will appear down the road. Perhaps a 30k clutch job, or oil and fluids that had been sitting for a year or 2 or 3. If a car has been sitting for that long, any oil film that had remained on surface would have been drained dry, so that first start up after a couple years in storage will be bare metal to bare metal contact. And we haven't even got to those 15 year old tires.

A car you would want will be one that has perhaps 12,000-15,000 miles on the clock, averaged out to be slightly over 1k a year. These will be actual be considered 'high mileage', so the pricing will be even lower than those 'pristine' ones. A clutch job done already would be preferred. Fair market price should be around 550k-600k US. But unfortunately you won't be able to find many at that price, as a lot of the current owners bought in during the bubble and that's around or even lower than their purchase price.

As for the Speedster, don't hold your breath unless you are a big shot at your dealership. It should be quite limited in numbers. And for intents and purposes will be the swan song for 991.

Many have seen the 'prototype' a couple years ago already. But no one will be talking about it in detail just yet. But using educated guesses, it will basically be a 911R with the roof chopped off.
Whoopsy is offline  
Old 02-12-2018, 07:00 AM
  #40  
BrntRubber
User
Thread Starter
 
BrntRubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 838
Default

Originally Posted by Whoopsy View Post
As I said, not just the CGT, basically every car that went across the block last month either barely meet the low estimate or not even getting there. Some auction houses gave unreal estimates for setting reserve and those obviously went no-sale. Others are more realistic and accommodate the lowered pricing. Lately the stock market won't help propping up prices either.

Some here will fiercely disagreed with the lowered price, but they were artificially inflated because of how Paul Walker died and people went into a feeding frenzy. The low mileage one would fetch the most but they will also be the ones with the most problems. Porsches are made to be driven, and if a car doesn't have enough mileage on it, it just means the car has been neglected. Problems will appear down the road. Perhaps a 30k clutch job, or oil and fluids that had been sitting for a year or 2 or 3. If a car has been sitting for that long, any oil film that had remained on surface would have been drained dry, so that first start up after a couple years in storage will be bare metal to bare metal contact. And we haven't even got to those 15 year old tires.

A car you would want will be one that has perhaps 12,000-15,000 miles on the clock, averaged out to be slightly over 1k a year. These will be actual be considered 'high mileage', so the pricing will be even lower than those 'pristine' ones. A clutch job done already would be preferred. Fair market price should be around 550k-600k US. But unfortunately you won't be able to find many at that price, as a lot of the current owners bought in during the bubble and that's around or even lower than their purchase price.

As for the Speedster, don't hold your breath unless you are a big shot at your dealership. It should be quite limited in numbers. And for intents and purposes will be the swan song for 991.

Many have seen the 'prototype' a couple years ago already. But no one will be talking about it in detail just yet. But using educated guesses, it will basically be a 911R with the roof chopped off.
This is VERY helpful! Noted on ideal mileage, average annual mileage, clutch job, etc.

I sure hope I can get a Speedster. 911R with roof chopped off is a forever car for me! I was hoping to have a good chance considering I would have purchased a GT2, GT3T, .2 3RS in the same 6 month period. My dealer said I can have one verbally but nothing in writing and I don’t think they know allocation numbers yet.

Any advice? Should I have a conversation with them now and offer to trade the GT3T for it or even the .2 3RS? I know there isn’t a single Touring for sale in the UK and I don’t mind if they make all the profit on it. Have enough to enjoy for time being anyway.

Will it be announced at Geneva?
BrntRubber is offline  
Old 02-12-2018, 04:39 PM
  #41  
Whoopsy
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Whoopsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,901
Default

Originally Posted by BrntRubber View Post

This is VERY helpful! Noted on ideal mileage, average annual mileage, clutch job, etc.

I sure hope I can get a Speedster. 911R with roof chopped off is a forever car for me! I was hoping to have a good chance considering I would have purchased a GT2, GT3T, .2 3RS in the same 6 month period. My dealer said I can have one verbally but nothing in writing and I donít think they know allocation numbers yet.

Any advice? Should I have a conversation with them now and offer to trade the GT3T for it or even the .2 3RS? I know there isnít a single Touring for sale in the UK and I donít mind if they make all the profit on it. Have enough to enjoy for time being anyway.

Will it be announced at Geneva?

Speedster is the unicorn. Porsche is tight lipped about it. Nothing official yet and they can still canned it. You won't see it in Geneva however. Make no mistake though, that should be your primary target and trying secure one almost no matter what.

But at the end of the day, it is your money and your purchase, you should be the one deciding what to keep and what to sell, you know better than anyone that which car will make you happy.
Whoopsy is offline  
Old 02-12-2018, 07:44 PM
  #42  
BrntRubber
User
Thread Starter
 
BrntRubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 838
Default

Originally Posted by Whoopsy View Post
Speedster is the unicorn. Porsche is tight lipped about it. Nothing official yet and they can still canned it. You won't see it in Geneva however. Make no mistake though, that should be your primary target and trying secure one almost no matter what.

But at the end of the day, it is your money and your purchase, you should be the one deciding what to keep and what to sell, you know better than anyone that which car will make you happy.
Thank you for great advice! All well noted
BrntRubber is offline  
Old 02-12-2018, 10:44 PM
  #43  
nuvolari612
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: midwest
Posts: 1,964
Default

Originally Posted by Whoopsy View Post
As I said, not just the CGT, basically every car that went across the block last month either barely meet the low estimate or not even getting there. Some auction houses gave unreal estimates for setting reserve and those obviously went no-sale. Others are more realistic and accommodate the lowered pricing. Lately the stock market won't help propping up prices either.

Some here will fiercely disagreed with the lowered price, but they were artificially inflated because of how Paul Walker died and people went into a feeding frenzy. The low mileage one would fetch the most but they will also be the ones with the most problems. Porsches are made to be driven, and if a car doesn't have enough mileage on it, it just means the car has been neglected. Problems will appear down the road. Perhaps a 30k clutch job, or oil and fluids that had been sitting for a year or 2 or 3. If a car has been sitting for that long, any oil film that had remained on surface would have been drained dry, so that first start up after a couple years in storage will be bare metal to bare metal contact. And we haven't even got to those 15 year old tires.

A car you would want will be one that has perhaps 12,000-15,000 miles on the clock, averaged out to be slightly over 1k a year. These will be actual be considered 'high mileage', so the pricing will be even lower than those 'pristine' ones. A clutch job done already would be preferred. Fair market price should be around 550k-600k US. But unfortunately you won't be able to find many at that price, as a lot of the current owners bought in during the bubble and that's around or even lower than their purchase price.

As for the Speedster, don't hold your breath unless you are a big shot at your dealership. It should be quite limited in numbers. And for intents and purposes will be the swan song for 991.

Many have seen the 'prototype' a couple years ago already. But no one will be talking about it in detail just yet. But using educated guesses, it will basically be a 911R with the roof chopped off.
I doubt anyone lets their 600k - 1M CGT sit for 2 years without starting and Paul Walker passing 4 1/2 years ago does not effect todays pricing they were US 350k after he passed and now doubled and tripled few that have reached over 1M US.

The Speedster - nothing confirmed. Given the customers begging for production of .23RS and 2RS they could scrap the speedster but if they do produce it's Porsches last kiss to all the 918 owners - enjoy it Whoopsy


CGT is not a car for the faint of heart like the 918 RS R and so on - whole different ball game of ownership. Have a 991 RS will get the .2 but and it's like builds are nowhere near the CGT - first clue is when you open the engine bay which speaks volumes when comparing a 991 and CGT.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 02-13-2018 at 12:10 AM.
nuvolari612 is offline  
Old 02-13-2018, 12:24 AM
  #44  
Whoopsy
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Whoopsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,901
Default

BrntRubber;

See what I mean by someone will say something?

But then again he always shows up when giving the chance to trash the 918 and blow the CGT horn at the same time, noting new.

Here is a little background: He was pissed that he didn't buy a 918 and hence got left out of the 'VIP' program and couldn't get any allocation for anything mildly important from Porsche. The hate and rage is strong with this one, using the Star Wars analogy, he has turned to the Dark side. In his eyes, nothing is better than his CGT and his Viper.







I doubt anyone lets their 600k - 1M CGT sit for 2 years without starting and Paul Walker passing 4 1/2 years ago does not effect todays pricing they were US 350k after he passed and now doubled and tripled few that have reached over 1M US.

The Speedster - nothing confirmed. Given the customers begging for production of .23RS and 2RS they could scrap the speedster but if they do produce it's Porsches last kiss to all the 918 owners - enjoy it Whoopsy


CGT is not a car for the faint of heart like the 918 RS R and so on - whole different ball game of ownership. Have a 991 RS will get the .2 but and it's like builds are nowhere near the CGT - first clue is when you open the engine bay which speaks volumes when comparing a 991 and CGT.
Whoopsy is offline  
Old 02-13-2018, 12:44 AM
  #45  
Whoopsy
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Whoopsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,901
Default

Originally Posted by nuvolari612 View Post
I doubt anyone lets their 600k - 1M CGT sit for 2 years without starting and Paul Walker passing 4 1/2 years ago does not effect todays pricing they were US 350k after he passed and now doubled and tripled few that have reached over 1M US.

The Speedster - nothing confirmed. Given the customers begging for production of .23RS and 2RS they could scrap the speedster but if they do produce it's Porsches last kiss to all the 918 owners - enjoy it Whoopsy


CGT is not a car for the faint of heart like the 918 RS R and so on - whole different ball game of ownership. Have a 991 RS will get the .2 but and it's like builds are nowhere near the CGT - first clue is when you open the engine bay which speaks volumes when comparing a 991 and CGT.

And now your turn, this one is addressed to you buddy

No one dispute the fact that the CGT is not for the faint of heart. Some member here can ride it like a horse on track, see wtdoom.

Unlike you sweating about the 'value' on a CGT, which you keep blowing it up to be a million dollar car, I couldn't care less about the 918's pricing. They are coming back. just like the CGT over the auctions. I am actually HAPPY about the price coming down, cause that means I can drive it again.

Of course nothing is confirmed with you on the Speedster, but it doesn't mean others also doesn't know anything But knowing and posting is two different thing.

But does it matter to 918 owners? Nah, not a single bit. The entertainment is not from the car but from reading posts from people like you who try to downplay it, just like you did with the 911R I believe. Me? I am not sweating it. I don't need to, an offer to buy the car at MSRP will come to me when the time comes. Just like any other car Porsche makes, from way back when the .1GT3 came out, which I turned that one down. Macan? I took a Macan S. .1 GT3RS?got one of the first ones. 911R? Did a 2300km Euro delivery trip last year. .2 GT3? Took delivery of mine back in December. New Panamera Turbo S? Got one config-ed, not sure if I want it yet. New Cayenne? They are sending us to South Africa to do a test drive from Windhoek to Cape Town in April; Turbo S Exclusive? Picking it up at the factory April 18th. GT2RS? Picking that one up at the factory June 29th. .2 GT3RS? It is coming too.

Oh, and the CGT? The price are coming back down to me, still waiting, not in a hurry to get one. But eventually.

But I am not just buying Porsches, already got a Aston Vantage V12S with the dogleg; A Lamborghini Huracan Spyder, turned down the offer buy a Performannte; commissioned a Ridler Award winner to build me a hot rod and also JUST bought a Alfa Romeo 4C. Not to mention a Golf R that I bought last year also.

Seriously, I really am not sweating at all about cars to buy. Think I am only just focusing on another gift from Porsche aka Speedster? Nope.
Whoopsy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help... Hunting for a CGT in the UK/Europe - Good Price and What to look out for


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: