Sponsored by:

Liquid Metal Silver vs GT Silver

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 01:22 AM
tims16m
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Liquid Metal Silver vs GT Silver

Has anyone seen Liquid Metal Silver and GT Silver on 918s side by side? Really like to know what the real world difference would be. As Liquid Metal Silver is one of the debut and exclusive paints for the 918, will it command the premium and value at resale? Only saw the display car indoors at the Thermal 918 event. Matthew Henry stated the paint really changed and took a different character in the sunlight. It is really impressive how some of these multi layer metallic paint jobs change depending on angle and lighting conditions. If some one has pics of Liquid Metal Silver showing interesting effects from lighting or angle would really appreciate a look. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:39 AM
mhh
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tims16m
Has anyone seen Liquid Metal Silver and GT Silver on 918s side by side? Really like to know what the real world difference would be. As Liquid Metal Silver is one of the debut and exclusive paints for the 918, will it command the premium and value at resale? Only saw the display car indoors at the Thermal 918 event. Matthew Henry stated the paint really changed and took a different character in the sunlight. It is really impressive how some of these multi layer metallic paint jobs change depending on angle and lighting conditions. If some one has pics of Liquid Metal Silver showing interesting effects from lighting or angle would really appreciate a look. Thanks.
Liquid Metal Silver is a stunning colour - darker, deeper and richer than GT Silver. Video is the best way to see this colour as the moving vehicle and changing angles show it off to full effect. There's one of Jay Leno in this colour that will show you how it looks.

I'll hazard a guess and say you won't get your $64K back for the fancy paint on resale and you'll need to look after it (clearbra essential) or any needed repairs will cause grief trying to match the tricky colour.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:49 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 860 Likes on 381 Posts

If you put the two cars together side by side, liquid metal silver is night and day compared to the regular GT silver. Under the sun, liquid metal silver is even more impressive.

The 918 will appreciate in the future for sure, but would someone pay $64,000 more for your car than a GT silver car 5 years down the line? I don't know. Do keep in mind that there will also be a lot of liquid metal silver 918 in total production.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:02 AM
JS
Race Car

Received 465 Likes on 313 Posts

Here are both colors at the VIP Test Drive event I attended last summer. I hope this helps.

Last edited by JS; 08-25-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:28 PM
nostalgic
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know how many 918's were built in GT Silver?
Old 12-22-2017, 05:31 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,953 Likes on 555 Posts

Liquid chrome blue is worth it for sure
Old 12-22-2017, 03:03 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
If you put the two cars together side by side, liquid metal silver is night and day compared to the regular GT silver. Under the sun, liquid metal silver is even more impressive.
^ this, liquid metal silver is so much better a colour when compared side by side it's not even funny. that said one does pay rather a lot for it too....
Old 01-17-2018, 12:04 AM
DLP2015
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 918 Spyder in liquid metal silver and had a 911R in GT Silver. Both are beautiful colors but when I had them parked side by side, the beauty of the liquid metal silver really shines and made the otherwise beautiful GT Silver look ridiculously plain. It was a pricey option, but so worth it in my opinion....

P.S. You do get 9 extra layers of paint with the Liquid metal silver. Only $7k per layer. Great way to rationalize such an investment, right?

Quick Reply: Liquid Metal Silver vs GT Silver