Sponsored by:

CGT Newbie Q's

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 10:42 PM
EVONick
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CGT Newbie Q's

I recently bought a 2005 CGT, did a major, and now I'm learning it. Here are some q's that don't seem to be addressed in the manual, and I was hoping others might have answers and/or solutions.

1. Are the CGT headlights supposed to be on all the time? Are they light sensitive? On my car the headlight switch only controls the parking and dash lights, the headlights seem to be on constantly.

2. What trickle charger do people recommend? Is it a standardized plug, or a proprietary Porsche socket?

3. I'm too short for the seat. For now I'm using a cushion, but I've heard there is a non-adjustable seat heat adjustment kit. Does anyone have experience with this, or an aftermarket solution to raising the seat that might have adjustability, even if that is just a choice of holes?

4. Do people's cars crunch ever so slightly going into 2nd and 3rd when the car is cold? I mean 60 degree "sat outside all night" cold? And then smooth out within 5-10 minutes of driving?

5. Has anyone done a GMG exhaust that can describe it versus stock?

Thanks
Old 09-27-2017, 11:05 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 177 Posts

Congrats and please post some pics!

1. No. Headlights should turn on two clicks to the right
2. I have Battery Tender brand. I had a Porsche branded one but it didn't stay in the socket very well.
3. I'm no help here.
4. Normal in 2nd on cold starts. Ambient temp doesn't seem to matter. Go from first to third until gearbox is warmed.
5. No but videos are on the interweb.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:00 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

is this Nick Sxxxa with countach?
Old 09-28-2017, 03:44 AM
EVONick
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
Congrats and please post some pics!

1. No. Headlights should turn on two clicks to the right
2. I have Battery Tender brand. I had a Porsche branded one but it didn't stay in the socket very well.
3. I'm no help here.
4. Normal in 2nd on cold starts. Ambient temp doesn't seem to matter. Go from first to third until gearbox is warmed.
5. No but videos are on the interweb.
Thanks for the info.
As for the Battery Tender, what model do you have and what is the interface to the car? Same socket in glovebox? And is that cigarette lighter style?

I only have one pic so far:
Name:  KcF1dXw.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  241.9 KB

Originally Posted by mooty
is this Nick Sxxxa with countach?
Must have me confused with someone else!
Old 09-28-2017, 12:23 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

Congrats!

Re: GMG Exhaust.. You may want to read this thread for your own due diligence..

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...arrera-gt.html
Old 09-28-2017, 12:34 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Mine came with a battery tender. Do not let the battery die or you will have a massive bill to pay.
My gears don't crunch and I've yet to drive at night so haven't even tried the head lights

Best of luck and welcome to the club
Old 09-28-2017, 12:34 PM
mark.jorgensen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EVONick
I recently bought a 2005 CGT, did a major, and now I'm learning it. Here are some q's that don't seem to be addressed in the manual, and I was hoping others might have answers and/or solutions.

1. Are the CGT headlights supposed to be on all the time? Are they light sensitive? On my car the headlight switch only controls the parking and dash lights, the headlights seem to be on constantly.

2. What trickle charger do people recommend? Is it a standardized plug, or a proprietary Porsche socket?

3. I'm too short for the seat. For now I'm using a cushion, but I've heard there is a non-adjustable seat heat adjustment kit. Does anyone have experience with this, or an aftermarket solution to raising the seat that might have adjustability, even if that is just a choice of holes?

4. Do people's cars crunch ever so slightly going into 2nd and 3rd when the car is cold? I mean 60 degree "sat outside all night" cold? And then smooth out within 5-10 minutes of driving?

5. Has anyone done a GMG exhaust that can describe it versus stock?

Thanks

Has the car ever been in Canada? If so I believe they require headlights on all the time in the software maybe that is why they are on all the time? Are the tail lights also on or just the headlights?

Beautiful CGT BTW!
Old 09-28-2017, 12:36 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

You need this for seat height adjustment:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU980SHK.html
Old 09-28-2017, 04:45 PM
Ak3249
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Regarding the 1 to 2 shift when cold, all CGTs are a little tricky with it. You could either skip 2nd n go to 3rd which most do, but I usually don't as it involves revving out the engine which is cold too. Instead when cold and going into 2nd try double clutching then as sliding it in give a slight rev, you'll fell the gear slip in.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:34 PM
Larryf
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best tender hook up is through the engine bay on the right near the jump start point. Use a ctek and have your Porsche mechanic for the CGT work do it for you. The glove box option sucks.

Leave the exhaust alone, you'd be better off upgrading the suspension with the PSI kit. A bit more than the exhaust but a much better improvement to the car's handling.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:01 AM
EVONick
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Congrats!

Re: GMG Exhaust.. You may want to read this thread for your own due diligence..

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...arrera-gt.html
Thanks, done. Unsurprising, and about on par for what I've witnessed in other aftermarket parts scenarios. I'll tread cautiously should I decide to go the GMG route.

Originally Posted by mark.jorgensen
Has the car ever been in Canada? If so I believe they require headlights on all the time in the software maybe that is why they are on all the time? Are the tail lights also on or just the headlights?

Beautiful CGT BTW!
Bing! Bing! Bing! We have a winner!
Yes, Canada is the answer. The car was delivered in SoCal, but spent the last 7 years in Vancouver. I just tested the exact behavior of the lights today, and they act as if you had switched them on all the time: low beams, running lights, taillights. So the switch turns on the dash lights in position 1, and nothing changes from Pos 1 > 2. I'll have my guy look into whether things were re-wired, or Canada just uses a different switch.

Originally Posted by Larryf
Best tender hook up is through the engine bay on the right near the jump start point. Use a ctek and have your Porsche mechanic for the CGT work do it for you. The glove box option sucks.
Yes, I know that a more direct hookup would be the best option, but why does the cigarette lighter in the glovebox "suck"?
Please be more specific!
Old 09-29-2017, 08:52 AM
Larryf
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I know that a more direct hookup would be the best option, but why does the cigarette lighter in the glovebox "suck"?
Please be more specific!
Because the plug has a tendancy to pop out of the holder. It's very small and tucked up under the top of the glove box vs a more traditional car or Porsche location. Trust me, this is one of the easiest, cheapest and most $$ saving mods one can do on their CGT to pretty much guarantee the battery stays on a tender as needed.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:35 AM
mark.jorgensen
Intermediate

"Bing! Bing! Bing! We have a winner!
Yes, Canada is the answer. The car was delivered in SoCal, but spent the last 7 years in Vancouver. I just tested the exact behavior of the lights today, and they act as if you had switched them on all the time: low beams, running lights, taillights. So the switch turns on the dash lights in position 1, and nothing changes from Pos 1 > 2. I'll have my guy look into whether things were re-wired, or Canada just uses a different switch."

Generally it is a reflash in the body control modules not so much a hardware thing although not positive on this with the CGT.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:09 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 177 Posts

Thanks for the info.
As for the Battery Tender, what model do you have and what is the interface to the car? Same socket in glovebox? And is that cigarette lighter style?
I'll have to check the model number. Mine's a direct hookup, which is best. The previous owner had a lead wired straight to the battery and that lead comes out in the passenger side air intake right above where the battery sits. I don't know what kind of plug it is but will try to remember to take a pic.

Please be more specific!
It sucks for several reasons - where it's located, not only that it's in the glovebox but on the roof of it. Furthermore, if something's plugged into it then the glovebox needs to stay open (in which case the light stays on) or you close the glovebox onto the cord. It's also a very shallow receptacle and too short to secure whatever is plugged into it. I learned this the hard way when I had a Porsche brand charger. The plug would fall out of the receptacle and if the car's out of sight or offsite for long periods you'll lose your battery.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:51 PM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 57 Posts

I have a question. When I bought my 2nd CGT, I had the dealer install a new battery. I kept the car in storage and would start the car every few months. About a year ago, I noticed the car was not plugged in the battery tender. When I tried to plug it on the port in the glove box, the plug would not stay in. Not sure what happened but after this happened I could not get the car started. I tried to boost the battery using dealer's booster battery but the car would start and die so now I have to install a new battery. Did the battery go bad because it got completely drained or it went bad because the car was not driven regularly.

Quick Reply: CGT Newbie Q's