Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Technical videos-dealer tech perspective

Old 06-27-2017, 08:00 PM
Ryan Case
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Technical videos-dealer tech perspective

Hey guys, I'm preparing to make a video series for my dealership from a technicians perspective. I was just curious if there were any jobs or services that you guys would want to watch see how they're done. Any and all input is welcome. Here is a VERY basic example of what you can expect. https://gopro.com/v/7Ra569ODaBBN Here I'm calibrating the LCA on a 15' base Cayenne. In the official videos you can expect more detail and explanation.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:37 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm curious as to what the end-purpose is for these videos. What are your goals? How is it to be used? Are they intended to be instructional? To show the public what the tech does? To show the dealer what the tech does?

Typical things would be changing oil. Changing brake pads. Removing a door panel. Removing the rear hatch panel. Calibrating something in the PCM.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:17 PM
Ryan Case
Advanced

My end goal for this is educate/entertain Porsche owners and admirers. To show what happens to your car after the tech gets the keys. I'm a full time Porsche technician and I want to show people my perspective because I feel people would find it interesting. I feel this would also help bring attention to my dealership which has a very small online presence.

These are the kind of topics I'm planning to cover. Thank you for your input.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:09 PM
BradB
Drifting

Should be really interesting. I look forward to watching them.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:20 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

I think you've got a good idea. I don't think techs like it when I watch them work -- they're assuming I'm being critical or judgmental when in reality I'm just curious and wanting to learn some new things.

The more you can throw in the non-obvious details, the better imho. Show the subtleties for why the job is different. Why Porsche designs their cars differently. Why you cross the t's and dot the i's when my first guess is you could skip that step.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:58 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Not trying to be argumentative here but would really like to see how a dealership justifies the price for an oil & filter change. Most are usurious.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:26 PM
Ryan Case
Advanced

BradB-I hope you enjoy them.
cviles- I can understand that point of view about being watched, but I want educate as many people as I can about what's involved by showing as much detail as possible.
NC TRACRAT- I can see where you're coming from. Hopefully after viewing some of the content you will see the value in the oil/filter service as it should be more than just and oil change.

BTW everyone I am still a full time technician and I'm producing/editing these videos on my own. My plan is to have the first batch of content posted in the next few weeks. I will do my best to keep a steady flow on content for you all to enjoy and learn from.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:45 PM
Ranger520
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 22 Posts

I love this idea!
Old 06-30-2017, 04:33 PM
LOUISSSSS
Intermediate

great idea. will you post the videos here when you're done?

I'd like to see the basics like oil change, brakes, all kinds of service work
Old 06-30-2017, 10:31 PM
Ryan Case
Advanced

Ranger520-thanks man!
LOUISSSSS- they will be posted here https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCnHcjkceGqA5BSllxha8m-A
If you guys would like to subscribe to the channel now by all means go ahead so you'll know the second new content is posted. Videos will start to flow in the coming weeks.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:42 PM
Ryan Case
Advanced

First video is live!

Last edited by Ryan Case; 07-26-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:18 PM
BradB
Drifting

I like it! It would be cool to have some text in the video saying things like "oil change", "diesel additive" , etc so we know what is going on. I got a little lost as to what was happening but I still liked it. Kudos for the effort!
Old 07-27-2017, 11:19 AM
Ryan Case
Advanced

Originally Posted by BradB
I like it! It would be cool to have some text in the video saying things like "oil change", "diesel additive" , etc so we know what is going on. I got a little lost as to what was happening but I still liked it. Kudos for the effort!
Thank you! I will keep that in mind for future videos. the purpose of this teaser was to just give you a variety of content so you get the idea of how things will be shown. in the videos to come I will explain whats happening in detail. Thank you for your input!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Technical videos-dealer tech perspective