Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Considering switching from a 997TT to a Macan...weird, I know.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 08:57 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Considering switching from a 997TT to a Macan...weird, I know.

Previous owner of a 997.2 C2, current owner of a 997.1 TT. The 911 turbo is a 4th vehicle for us, and though I enjoy it, I am looking to get something I'll daily drive (and get rid of my pickup which is my current daily). I want a sporty SUV...something with a little of the practicality of my truck, but with a little of the fun of a sports car. Looking to keep the price below $60k, and looking to buy something slightly used where someone else has taken the depreciation hit. The "short list" includes the Audi SQ5, Cayenne S, and Macan S (or Turbo if the exact right deal pops up).

The Macan wasn't even on the list at first, but I went to my local dealership and sat in one, and it is surprisingly roomy. It's not what I'd take on a road trip with 3 friends necessarily, but there's enough room for two adults to sit in back for driving around town. My personal rule is to not test drive until I'm ready to purchase, so I haven't driven one yet, but from everything I've read, it's closer to a sports car than a Cayenne could ever be, which is more appealing. Before purchasing anything though I'll drive all three on my short list.

So, any former or current 911 owners here? How have you guys been enjoying the daily drive and every day utility? Any must have options? I'm thinking a black or sapphire blue S would fit what I'm looking for quite nicely, and should be attainable in the price range where I'm looking.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:18 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I am a current owner of a '96 993 4S and a '14 991S. I was driving my '12 VW Touareg TDI when I became part of the VW diesel scandal and VW graciously decided to buy back my car for more than I paid for it new almost 6 years ago. So I started shopping for a replacement and drove everything on your list. I even had a Macan S and a Cayenne S as well as a regular Q5 each for extended weekends so really had the time to feel them out. By far the Macan is tahe sportiest of the bunch.

I really like the Audi's a lot, (have owned many sedans and S models in the past) and the Q5 is a solid performer if a little less than exciting. The SQ5 is relatively quick but it just has a few upgrades to a car that starts out much more sedate and pedestrian, compared to the Macan which has much sharper handling and a vastly superior transmission. PDK alone is a reason I would choose the Porsche over the Audi.

The Cayenne is larger and heavier and you feel every bit of it. The Cayenne is a sporty Touareg, IMO and while they are pretty awesome, they are not in the league of the Macan when it comes to handling dynamics, steering feel or sportiness.

When I get in my Macan, (I have a GTS) I feel like I am truly in a "Porsche". I feel at home in it and it feels very special. It handles spectacularly. You feel like you are in a car, not a truck. It sounds fantastic, steers amazingly well has great engine performance. As I said, the PDK alone makes this incredibly fun. It's responsive and reads your mind regarding shifting.

I have no regrets. The only downside of Porsche is that they are behind the times regarding infotainment technology. They always have been. And you pay through the nose for all options. First world problem, I guess.

Letting someone else take the depreciation hit is wise. I never learned that since I am too picky with desired options. You mention the S and the Turbo, but you should really also test drive a GTS. It's the "sharpest" of the line and what I would consider the sweet spot for people who appreciate the 911 feel. But all of them are excellent.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:31 PM
m32
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 143 Posts

Good thoughts BradB and nice GTS! I actually just picked up a 2016 CPO Macan turbo this weekend (bought in Pittsburgh and drove it ~1350 miles home to houston). I would say I am pleasantly surprised by the Macan. I test drove an S and GTS before I bought the turbo. I originally wanted the GTS but couldn't find a good deal on a used one. I like the GTS styling but decided to look at the Turbo and am glad I got it. Although it doesn't look as good as the GTS, the turbo has the 3.6 engine and rides more comfortable. The 1350 miles home was a breeze. In terms of looking at the S, the price of a new nicely optioned S will be in the used turbo price. I picked up my 16 with 10k miles (CPO) for $68K (sticked was $91K). I think I got a pretty good deal.

For me, the must have options are: LED headlights, Active suspension, premium package and sport chrono. My macan has everything but the LED headlights and the AS but I'm still happy with it.

Here are some pics

Name:  62E4E571-0AA8-430B-96E7-4AF31AF772F6_zpszrwpryu6.jpg
Views: 3013
Size:  197.4 KB

Name:  24FB1515-97B3-4722-851E-4F84A64E603E_zpskwz96kru.png
Views: 3021
Size:  438.1 KB

Name:  2A80B0E3-86E3-4813-AED0-010B6F526F25_zpsh5zupafx.png
Views: 3032
Size:  362.2 KB

Edwin
Old 06-19-2017, 02:12 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks to both of you for the thoughtful posts. Of course I have to test-drive everything to make my own decisions, but on paper the Macan definitely seems to be the sports car of the SUV bunch. I am a big believer in purpose built cars, meaning a truck is always going to be a better truck than an SUV, and a sports car is always going to be a better sports car than a sport sedan, having said that, the realities are sometimes we need to make compromises. I think the Macan has enough utility for me to get by and enough of the sports car look and feel for me to be happy to drive it. I am looking forward to it. I will look at the GTS as well. They are harder to find though on the used Market.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:23 PM
BradB
Drifting

Originally Posted by m32
Good thoughts BradB and nice GTS! I actually just picked up a 2016 CPO Macan turbo this weekend...

Edwin
Excellent! Nice color combo, very classy. Enjoy!
Old 06-19-2017, 03:24 PM
BradB
Drifting

Originally Posted by vbb
Thanks to both of you for the thoughtful posts. Of course I have to test-drive everything to make my own decisions, but on paper the Macan definitely seems to be the sports car of the SUV bunch. I am a big believer in purpose built cars, meaning a truck is always going to be a better truck than an SUV, and a sports car is always going to be a better sports car than a sport sedan, having said that, the realities are sometimes we need to make compromises. I think the Macan has enough utility for me to get by and enough of the sports car look and feel for me to be happy to drive it. I am looking forward to it. I will look at the GTS as well. They are harder to find though on the used Market.
I totally agree. Good luck with your test drives. Let us know what you test drive and what you think.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:55 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

I did NOT sell my 991C2S when I got the Macan S. Hate to admit it but, I drive it less because the Macan is as much a Porsche and a pleasure.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 11-16-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:03 PM
reps70
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our 997.2tt with new Macan GTS. Unfortunately, 6 days old, PDK failed. Has been in workshop for 2 weeks waiting for replacement box.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:50 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 512 Posts

I also have a macan GTS and I will echo other posters. It isn't a 997TT but it is very fun to drive for a practical car. And it's also the easiest car to hop in and go fast in (including flying over potholes or uneven pavement) and with great creature comfort (ventilated seats!).

I am overall a big fan. The only thing I don't like is the automatic but then again, I knew I wouldn't like it much since I've never owned an auto and I really like shifting my own gears.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:58 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,191 Likes on 549 Posts

I, too, echo what BradB posted above: The Macan is as close to a sports car experience that an SUV can provide.

I test drove two of them in the LA area two weeks ago. First was @ Rusnak in Pasadena- lightly optioned Macan GTS- short ride through city, then on and off the feeway. Kind of 'Meh", but I was able to peruse several other examples on the lot. (The "Configurator" is a poor substitute for the real thing, especially color, interior look/feel and actually operating the switches and controls.) Salesman was super busy, so I moved on.

A dealership in Woodland Hills was equally slammed, but a friendly salesman handed me the keys to an awesome Carmine Red GTS, and directions to the Mulholland Highway, which bisects many, many Malibu Canyon roads. (He is awesome: Nicholas Bourbon, The Auto Gallery, if you are looking for a P-car in SoCal.)

Not a lot of better twisty roads in the world, IMO. The drive was sublime- and during that drive I decided to order one for Euro Delivery. Mine will have PTV Plus, which the Carmine Red "tester" did not have.

(My Macan GTS build:http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ1DPZI9)
Pick up in Leipzeg on Sept 5...

I had been driving my own 997 GTS hard in those canyons, as well as on the Angeles Crest Highway, Big Bear Lake area and San Bernadino National Forest roads for the previous 4 days- so it was a hard act to follow my 911.

But the Macan really did impress in SPORT or SPORT+ PDK mode and (standard) Air Suspension at the lowest/firmest setting. It felt like an anchor had been set inside every apex line I took, and the damn thing was attached to it by a rope.

Cannot wait to drive one on the factory track and off road course at Leipzeg.

In short, I do not think you will be disappointed if you buy one.

Here is a short video that encapsulates my visceral reaction to the Macan GTS:

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 06-22-2017 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-26-2017, 11:49 PM
DEK911
8th Gear

Traded my 991 C2 on a Macan GTS. Never tracked the 991. Macan gives me most of the 911 handling with ease of access. And I can carry stuff. 991 was my DD so made a change. Happy so far.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:27 AM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 161 Posts

Got my Macan last Friday, indirectly replacing a 987.2 CS PDK. Wait, I can type and shouldn't indulge in arcane Porsche codes: A 2009 Cayman S with the newer, IMS-less engine.

The Cayman was a superlative handler that makes the Macan seem ponderous. For what it is, however, the Macan is a superlative handler. I think it's silly to drive most SUV/CUVs as sporty cars, but not the Macan. But here's the main thing: the Cayman was the sort of car, let's face it, that you inflict upon your passenger. My wife and I are going on joy rides in the Macan that we never did in the Cayman.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:25 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by DEK911
Traded my 991 C2 on a Macan GTS. Never tracked the 991. Macan gives me most of the 911 handling with ease of access. And I can carry stuff. 991 was my DD so made a change. Happy so far.
I'd love to hear more about your impressions as I'm currently debating between a Macan GTS and 991.1 C2. Which car feels more powerful/faster in day to day driving? I was set on a 911 since I already had a Macan S with SportDesign, Spyder's and AS, but each time I drove the Macan GTS, I was/am convinced it's honestly the best overall package/car I've ever driven. It's like the perfect balance of everything. And whatever Porsche did underneath the GTS, it really is a different experience from an S even outfitted as closely to be a "faux GTS (like mine)" as possible.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:24 PM
DEK911
8th Gear

K-A, 911.1 does feels like a faster car than the GTS, but it could be due being closer to the pavement. Earlier posts from forums have stated the Macan is 80% 911 and 20% Cayennne. The GTS is like 90/10. When I was looking at the Macan two years ago and then drove the 991 C2 (two year old C2 was about the same price as a new Macan), my heart said the 911. Being a daily driver, the 991 was a hard to get in and out of, limited storage and really only one passenger, my head said go back to the Macan. You are correct about it being a good balance of everything.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:45 PM
Canefan
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I traded in my 991.1 C2 for a Macan S about 1 month ago. I loved the 911, but as my daily driver in Atlanta traffic, found myself in bumper to bumper traffic going 20 MPH the vast majority of the time. It was always my dream car, but was the wrong car at the wrong time. I will own one again someday. That said, as my 1st Porsche (after many BMWs) it totally sold me on the brand, and I opted for a 2017 Macan S which is the perfect daily driver for me right now.

Quick Reply: Considering switching from a 997TT to a Macan...weird, I know.