Macan 2014-Current

New Scan Tool for Porsche...Including Macan

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 08:47 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts
Default New Scan Tool for Porsche...Including Macan

FWIW, ECS Tuning is now selling a scan tool that is specifically for all OBDII Porsches, including Macan. It will do just about everything, including resetting oil service and inspection lights: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...656sch01a~scf/
Old 06-10-2017, 12:42 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 165 Posts

Great find! That is a pretty amazing price too.
I assume it allows unlimited number of P-cars unlike my current version which allows 3 total?
Old 06-10-2017, 01:34 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Correct...no limit. One year warranty and on-line updates, too. Oh, yes...also retracts parking brake and pistons which allows for rear brake pad change. This thing should pay for itself quickly!
Old 06-11-2017, 01:16 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

The manufacturer description listing is a little vague and doesn't mention 991's or Macans. They just say "986/996 and newer including Cayenne". So I take that as meaning it would work, but it could have been written better. But when I use the drop-down application box from ECS it clearly lists my 2014 991 as applicable, but there are no listings for 2016 or 2017 so I am uncertain about my 2017 Macan GTS.

In the small print it says "*Certain functions may be limited from the vehicle manufacturer due to the requirement of a special factory access code." Hmmmm.

I would be most interested to hear if anyone has used this on their cars yet. I am just a bit skeptical if it will do everything it advertises. In the past I've always been told I need the PIWIS? (or whatever it is) from Porsche to do these things.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:05 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

I do know that the Macan is in the drop-downs of models covered but, as for what they can't do, I'll just e-mail and ask them.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:51 AM
trendy996
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of corse
It's not going to let you program or calibrate like a piwis does.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:56 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Initial response from the manufacturer is that they don't know what it won't do, only what it will do. As for me, if it clears oil service and inspection notifications and will allow me to retract the rear brake pistons, it's worth what I paid. Local dealer wanted $65 just to clear my oil service light.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:05 AM
BradB
Drifting

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Initial response from the manufacturer is that they don't know what it won't do, only what it will do. As for me, if it clears oil service and inspection notifications and will allow me to retract the rear brake pistons, it's worth what I paid. Local dealer wanted $65 just to clear my oil service light.
Yep, that's all I really want, too. But I hear conflicting reports on if it will really do that. Sucks that the manufacturer is so cryptic. And I suppose there is no money-back guarantee that it will work as advertised. We need a buyer to be a guinea pig! I am too cheap, um frugal, to be that guy.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:23 PM
geoffucla
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if there is any recording of required services by the dealer such that if the dealer doesn't at least reset the service indicator themselves, they could have grounds for refusing to cover any future issues under warranty (regular or CPO) by claiming that they can't see that it had been properly maintained?
Old 06-14-2017, 02:54 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

I believe the Moss-Magnusson Act applies here. If you or a qualified mechanic perform required maintenance according to schedule, use appropriate quality parts and lubricants and keep a record of that information, they cannot deny warranty coverage.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:04 PM
geoffucla
Instructor

That makes sense. I think the key there is keeping the records. I used to have a great relationship with my dealer and they would reset my light gratis when I changed the oil, but the downside to moving to a new state is giving up those relationships and having to build new ones. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2017, 02:04 PM
Victor2017_Macan
2nd Gear

Will it work on 2017 Macan base?
Old 06-20-2017, 02:28 PM
BradB
Drifting

Originally Posted by Victor2017_Macan
Will it work on 2017 Macan base?
Nobody seems to know what it really will and will not do.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:02 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

This tells what it will do:
Product Details

"The Schwaben Porsche scan tool is the most cost-effective professional scan tool for enthusiasts, small garages, independent repairs, specialized garages and technicians by delivering OE-level diagnosis on all the electronic systems. Not only does it include basic functions such as codes and live data, but also is capable of advanced functions such as actuation, adaptation and programming. In addition, it lets you to access the most commonly required service features such as oil service light reset, throttle body adjustment, DPF regeneration and much more. For the first time ever, an independent enthusiast can diagnose and repair issues on their late-model Porsche, making the water-cooled cars more accessible and enjoyable for hobbyists.
•Compatible with Porsche from 986/996 and newer, including Cayenne
•Compatible with global OBDII/EOBD
•Works on most systems
•Reads and clear codes and turns off MILs
•Requests and records live sensor data
•Provides live data graphing
•Merges graphs for easy and intuitive diagnosis
•Displays freeze frame data
•Performs most adaptations
•Does active tests on systems and components*
•Performs special functions, coding, security access**
•Retrieves ECU information
•Supports all 10 OBDII test modes
•Resets oil service light
•Sets inspection 1, 2 service interval
•Sets (non) long life oil service
•Sets inspection mileage
•Deactivates and re-activates brake control system
•Retracts calipers for brake pad replacement
•Returns calipers to the original position
•Initializes the wear indicator if new pads installed 

•Code troubleshooters for faster and easier diagnosis
•Multilingual menu options and code definitions
•Memory card for data backup and software update
•Large TFT color screen and menu-driven operations
•Multi System Platform capable

*Certain functions may be limited from the vehicle manufacturer due to the requirement of a special factory access code.

*Pre OBDII vehicles will have limited feature availability

This Scan Tool comes with free updates for 18 months from date of sale.

Schwaben recommends purchasing a Bentley Manual to use with your Scan Tool.

Note: Can only be updated on Microsoft PC's not with Apple.

You will need to register your scan tool in order to receive update notice's from Foxwell via E-mail"
Old 08-01-2017, 04:13 PM
trapper
Track Day

Default I BOUGHT A SCHWABEN

I bought the Schwaben tool for Porsche and have been frustrated. It finds my VIN number but says VIN (WP0ABxxxxxxxxxxxx) decoding failed. I entered my VIN manually and the same thing. I tried the manual list and found 987 Cayman and picked >= 2009 (mine is 2011). When I tried to reset oil service I got "A control unit reset causes CAN communication errors in certain other control units. Do you want to carry out a control unit reset now?" I said yes and then I get a message "Drive off assistant failure". My "service now" light still comes on for a short time when I start the car. I have emailed Foxwell twice but have no resolution so I am rather disappointed in this device.

Quick Reply: New Scan Tool for Porsche...Including Macan