Macan 2014-Current

New Scan Tool for Porsche...Including Macan

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 10:25 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by trapper
I bought the Schwaben tool for Porsche and have been frustrated. It finds my VIN number but says VIN (WP0ABxxxxxxxxxxxx) decoding failed. I entered my VIN manually and the same thing. I tried the manual list and found 987 Cayman and picked >= 2009 (mine is 2011). When I tried to reset oil service I got "A control unit reset causes CAN communication errors in certain other control units. Do you want to carry out a control unit reset now?" I said yes and then I get a message "Drive off assistant failure". My "service now" light still comes on for a short time when I start the car. I have emailed Foxwell twice but have no resolution so I am rather disappointed in this device.
That's disappointing to hear. I appreciate the update. Report back you get it figured out. I would love to be able to clear my service reminders.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:55 PM
trapper
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have more issues now - not only does my "service now" light still flash when I start the car, but I can't turn on "sport mode" anymore.

Foxwell says "The engineer will update the scanner." I think this is going to cost me $$$ at my Porsche shop to get sport mode back....
Old 08-03-2017, 09:40 PM
mymac
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

That sucks! Was hoping for some positive reports.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:40 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

same here - does it work for resetting the oil service?

...anyone - first hand experience?

thx!!
Old 08-04-2017, 04:34 PM
trapper
Track Day

Angry

Originally Posted by PSEE
same here - does it work for resetting the oil service?

...anyone - first hand experience?

thx!!
I just received a new ecu.bin file from Foxwell to load on my scan tool. Now it does automatically recognize my car as a 987 Cayman from the VIN scan. It looks like I was also able to reset the "Service now" message. The bad news is that I still can't turn Sport mode on after it was disabled by the first bin file. If I can pay to get my Sport mode back I'm sure not going to try to reset my service light again as I don't want to possibly kill sport mode a second time. So, I guess my tool will just be a dust collector on my garage shelf. I guess I can use it as a generic OBDII tool on my other cars but the Porsche app? NO!
Old 08-05-2017, 10:12 AM
BradB
Drifting

I just received a new ecu.bin file from Foxwell to load on my scan tool. Now it does automatically recognize my car as a 987 Cayman from the VIN scan. It looks like I was also able to reset the "Service now" message. The bad news is that I still can't turn Sport mode on after it was disabled by the first bin file. If I can pay to get my Sport mode back I'm sure not going to try to reset my service light again as I don't want to possibly kill sport mode a second time. So, I guess my tool will just be a dust collector on my garage shelf. I guess I can use it as a generic OBDII tool on my other cars but the Porsche app? NO!
Hugely disappointing. I would hope you can get your money back for a tool that does not work as advertised.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:36 AM
trapper
Track Day

Originally Posted by BradB
Hugely disappointing. I would hope you can get your money back for a tool that does not work as advertised.
It may work to reset the service light now but I'm not willing to take the chance that there may be other negative side effects. I'm still hoping that my Porsche shop can reactivate my sport mode without too much financial pain!
Old 08-05-2017, 01:04 PM
PSEE
Pro

Default NOT a POSITIVE advertisement for this scan tool...

ECS - Foxwell - are you listening?!?

It certainly would be a great idea if a product like this was validated
BEFORE it went on the market... You know, like some sort of QA process?
Old 08-06-2017, 02:57 PM
trapper
Track Day

There were no customer reviews for this tool. I submitted one last week but it has not been published on the ECS website, guess it didn't get past the editor.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:27 AM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 161 Posts

... Do you want to carry out a control unit reset now?" ...
I'd have said "no" to a scary question like that, if only because I had the sports mode buttons added by the dealer. The software portion of the bill was nearly $1000, and it required a connection to a computer in Germany to activate it.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:02 AM
trapper
Track Day

Originally Posted by Adk46
I'd have said "no" to a scary question like that, if only because I had the sports mode buttons added by the dealer. The software portion of the bill was nearly $1000, and it required a connection to a computer in Germany to activate it.
My Porsche tech thinks he can reactivate it, we'll see.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:33 PM
trapper
Track Day

I called ECS and am returning the Schwaben tool. After looking at other forums I decided to give the iCarsoft POR-II Porsche a try. At least it looks like it will reset the service now message without killing sport mode. I should get it next week.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:30 PM
BradB
Drifting

I called ECS and am returning the Schwaben tool. After looking at other forums I decided to give the iCarsoft POR-II Porsche a try. At least it looks like it will reset the service now message without killing sport mode. I should get it next week.
Well that's good news, at least. I'm very interested in hearing what you think about the POR-II. I hadn't heard about this one.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:40 PM
trapper
Track Day

Originally Posted by BradB
Well that's good news, at least. I'm very interested in hearing what you think about the POR-II. I hadn't heard about this one.
There is a thread about it here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...scanner-2.html
Old 08-11-2017, 12:03 PM
PSEE
Pro

Default the reviews (on Amazon) are all over the map...

Some reviews suggest this is a great tool, while others recite a litany of issues trying to use the tool, upgrade its s/w, etc. See this link:

Amazon Amazon

I'd venture the positive reviews are posted by people connected with the company that sells or manufactures the tool. And what of the negative reviews? Are people simply fabricating these - and if so for what possible gain?

It would seem likely this tool has many issues in dealing with various Porsche models.

Help in Chinese? Gee, thanks... Not responding to emails? Thanks again!

Caveat emptor!!!

Quick Reply: New Scan Tool for Porsche...Including Macan