Macan 2014-Current

Wheel studs

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 01:55 PM
mymac
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Wheel studs

How many of you have switched to studs instead of bolts? I'm thinking about it when I add spacers.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:11 AM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 161 Posts

I had a ... what to call it? ... a wheel hanging temporary stud thing for my Cayman. That solves the need for three hands to place a wheel on the axle and start a bolt - is that your goal?
Old 05-15-2017, 08:20 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Yup-^

Now that I'm using one or two of these I find that I prefer wheel bolts.

Note that the above may not be the right diameter and pitch; I just grabbed the first one in the search results.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:35 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts

mymac is concerned with the added thickness of wheel spacers vs. the thread length of the OEM wheel bolts. In addition, studs allow for placing the spacer onto the studs, then easily installing the wheel w/o having to align everything. Using the wheel alignment shaft in the jack tools helps but, considering the weight of the wheels, studs can be a real improvement.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:25 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
mymac is concerned with the added thickness of wheel spacers vs. the thread length of the OEM wheel bolts.
Absent the use of studs, one would need appropriately longer wheel bolts. I figured this assumed knowledge.

In addition, studs allow for placing the spacer onto the studs, then easily installing the wheel w/o having to align everything.
A hub-centric spacer should 'lock in' on the wheel hub and shouldn't need alignment. A 'flat' spacer, would.

Using the wheel alignment shaft in the jack tools helps but, considering the weight of the wheels, studs can be a real improvement.
I won't argue preferences. I will write that I don't mind the wheel bolts now that I've got alignment shafts. I'm still deciding which mechanism I prefer.

Scratch that. Above I wrote that I prefer the bolts. That was written with the hind brain, but I realize that it's true. The Porsche wheel bolts seem to be good pieces and less likely have the collet seize to the wheel face. I've drilled-out too many of the old-style aluminum-alloy nuts over the years (due to the non-use of a torque wrench by the previous nut...)

Quick Reply: Wheel studs