Notices
Macan 2014-Current

MACAN GTS Front License Plate dilemma

Old 01-20-2018, 08:37 AM
Archer911
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the Rennline mount on my Macan, butI adapted a GoPro mount for use on my Ferrari. Took about 15 minutes of work. Perfect!
Old 01-20-2018, 09:33 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MT15
What if you super glue the plate to one of those cell phone holders that attaches to your air vents and just slip it onto the grill slat?
I guess someone could then steal your plate though.
I like that idea. Very clever. I have one of those phone holders and it clips on the grill perfectly. I’d glue a piece of steel to the plate, though. And then use the magnet against that. I don’t think criminals go around looking for plates that aren’t bolted on.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:19 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,136 Likes on 3,909 Posts

I would go with the magnet idea. Those little rare earth Magners are super strong. I'm actually in the midst of a project adding g led light strip to my lift to illuminate both up to the car on it and down so I can work on whatever is parked under it and using these Magners to hold the lighting g brakes to the steel lift.

For the temporary plate mount, I'd use the 90 degree plate mounting bracket though and glue the magnets on the underside where they aren't visible and onto the mounting bracket where they show the adhesive trim tape.
​​​​​​

​​​​
Old 01-22-2018, 05:48 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I would jut keep paying the tickets and leave it off....
The following users liked this post:
Fiat88 (11-09-2020)
Old 02-11-2018, 01:18 PM
pcosta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
I used the Skeen bracket- two bolts underneath where you can't see it, if it's ever removed.

I'm not home but I'll take some pics on Monday.
I have a Skeen bracket on my Macan and I'm very pleased with it. Would do it again.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:20 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 674 Likes on 417 Posts

I installed the Rennline plate mount on my GTS. Had to flip it upside down from how Rennline depicts it in the photos above on the white Macan for it to not trigger the sensors. It does not obstruct the fog light at all but does obstruct about half of the bottom intercooler opening.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:37 PM
pjpeterchen
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Thanks everyone for the no drill hole license plate.

I wonder if this will effect the front sensor?

Or if I have to turn off it after installing?

Or if this car will learn it self to know it's part of the body?

(MACAN S).........
Old 05-09-2018, 04:10 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 674 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by pjpeterchen
Thanks everyone for the no drill hole license plate.

I wonder if this will effect the front sensor?

Or if I have to turn off it after installing?

Or if this car will learn it self to know it's part of the body?

(MACAN S).........
Yes, so you have to orientate it specifically.

No, once you have orientated it specifically.

HA! I wish.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:03 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been meaning to close the loop on this topic for a while but haven't gotten around to doing so. When I saw today's post I decided today would be the day.

I looked at the options which blazinpond laid out in his OP. I think the off center tow hook mounted plates look worse than just drilling the front bumper, so I dismissed those options right away. I decided to give the mustang universal bracket a try and actually it's a simple and effective solution that can be put on and taken off quickly and is practically invisible when it's off. The adhesive seems very sturdy, but I haven't really put it to the test to be honest. I added a black CNC aluminum license plate frame from Fast Friends Garage to the set up to make it look complete. A few pictures are worth many words:

The following 2 users liked this post by bwiele:
TMats (10-21-2021), UncleDude (12-12-2020)
Old 05-11-2018, 09:53 AM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by bwiele
I've been meaning to close the loop on this topic for a while but haven't gotten around to doing so. When I saw today's post I decided today would be the day.

I looked at the options which blazinpond laid out in his OP. I think the off center tow hook mounted plates look worse than just drilling the front bumper, so I dismissed those options right away. I decided to give the mustang universal bracket a try and actually it's a simple and effective solution that can be put on and taken off quickly and is practically invisible when it's off. The adhesive seems very sturdy, but I haven't really put it to the test to be honest. I added a black CNC aluminum license plate frame from Fast Friends Garage to the set up to make it look complete. A few pictures are worth many words:
Thanks for following up. It looks like a nice clean solution that works well on the Macan. I am a little concerned about the strength of that adhesive mount with the leverage/moment that the plate could generate when driving at speed. Please provide another update after you have used it for a while or if you experience an issues. Much appreciated!

Is it possible to mount the base with screws instead of adhesive? This might be a good backup plan...
Old 05-11-2018, 10:07 AM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcosta
I have a Skeen bracket on my Macan and I'm very pleased with it. Would do it again.
Originally Posted by montoya
I used the Skeen bracket- two bolts underneath where you can't see it, if it's ever removed.

I'm not home but I'll take some pics on Monday.
Thanks guys, I see that the Skeen website recommends the extra short size bracket for the 2017+ GTS. Did either of you mount this on a GTS and if so can you confirm which size you used?
Old 05-11-2018, 03:00 PM
bwiele
Pro

You could very easily add a couple of screws to the bracket for added strength. And they would be screwed on the underside of the bumper and would not be visible if the bracket were ever removed. I believe the Skene bracket is similar in that regard.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:26 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

You could very easily add a couple of screws to the bracket for added strength. And they would be screwed on the underside of the bumper and would not be visible if the bracket were ever removed. I believe the Skene bracket is similar in that regard.
How is the bracket holding up after a month or so? I have my car now so I need to decide between solutions.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:39 PM
bwiele
Pro

To be honest, I haven't had a need to put the front plate on since I installed the bracket, so so far it is working perfectly sitting in my trunk! I think the local LEOs are scrutinizing sports cars for front plates more than SUVs...

In summary, it's working flawlessly! (I don't mean to be a smart ***, but this is actually my intended use for this bracket - only to put it on when I really need to, and when it's on, not to look ridiculous and attract extra attention to it because it's off center. I've just never been a fan of the off center thing...)
Old 06-22-2018, 11:44 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 164 Posts

To be honest, I haven't had a need to put the front plate on since I installed the bracket, so so far it is working perfectly sitting in my trunk! I think the local LEOs are scrutinizing sports cars for front plates more than SUVs...

In summary, it's working flawlessly! (I don't mean to be a smart ***, but this is actually my intended use for this bracket - only to put it on when I really need to, and when it's on, not to look ridiculous and attract extra attention to it because it's off center. I've just never been a fan of the off center thing...)
Definitely looks like a great option and plan to only use when needed/required.

Looking back at my pic above with the rennline tow hook mount, it does look pretty bad/unbalanced.

I now LOVE being in a state that DOES NOT require the front plate.
The Rennline mount served it's purpose and got me by.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MACAN GTS Front License Plate dilemma