Notices
Macan 2014-Current

MACAN GTS Front License Plate dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 04:39 PM
hierlevelz
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rennlist plate mount is what I have but it took some trial and error to position it where it didn't trigger the sensors. I have it bolted on the lowest bolt holes on the 2nd and 3rd columns from the right.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:16 PM
Archer911
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hierlevelz
Rennlist plate mount is what I have but it took some trial and error to position it where it didn't trigger the sensors. I have it bolted on the lowest bolt holes on the 2nd and 3rd columns from the right.
Yes, same scenario here, and if it moves just a little the sensors go nuts. I have needed to realign a couple of times.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:58 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Always just drilled the bumper on the Macans we've owned - it's an SUV and very high production one at that. Not the type of car that typically gets shipped/sold interstate, they're like rats where I live.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:12 AM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Always just drilled the bumper on the Macans we've owned - it's an SUV and very high production one at that. Not the type of car that typically gets shipped/sold interstate, they're like rats where I live.
Not the point of this thread. But you can certainly call the Macans rats if it makes you feel better, when someone like me wants to take care of my Macan GTS ($90k build) similar to my 911 ($150k build).

I did what i did to get by... mainly because i was planning to move to a state where there is no front license plate requirement. It hurt me to drill holes and add this big black piece of plastic onto the nice lines of the curvy front bumper.

In essence, this method got me by until i move July 21.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:59 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Not the point of this thread. But you can certainly call the Macans rats if it makes you feel better, when someone like me wants to take care of my Macan GTS ($90k build) similar to my 911 ($150k build).
Exactly! I pamper my Macan GTS The same way as my 991 or my 993 or my M235i. We simply care. If I drove a Corolla it would look better than anyone else's Corolla because of details like the OP suggested.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:21 PM
DickP
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Update:
The 'RENNLINE' version works really well and is very well built.
Very solid. I will post some pics over the next few days.
Originally Posted by Archer911
Yes, same scenario here, and if it moves just a little the sensors go nuts. I have needed to realign a couple of times.
Any way you could post photos of mounting position that worked for you? I am about to order one and will face same situation.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:15 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by DickP
Any way you could post photos of mounting position that worked for you? I am about to order one and will face same situation.

Sorry....best i could do since i didn't get the message until i got to the airport parking garage. I'm in Atlanta for the week. If you need better pics, send me a pm Friday eve and i can get some better shots.
Attached Images  
Old 08-31-2017, 07:37 AM
MT15

I drilled 2 holes under the front lip and mounted the oem license plate frame there using 2 zip ties. It works if you flip the frame upside down. Voila no grill holes
The following users liked this post:
t-design (03-04-2021)
Old 08-31-2017, 07:42 AM
MT15

Heres another pic. It doesnt mess with the sensors
Old 09-06-2017, 04:00 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I'd go with the Mustang. I don't like the off-center look, and don't like the idea that a small parking lot tap on the plate holder could transmit all of the energy to that small diameter rod, and directly to the tow hook socket and its mounting.

FWIW, I'm also one who just went along with mounting a standard OEM front plate holder, since to me, a centrally mounted plate doesn't look all that bad on the big Macan grille. I'd use a Mustang, though, if I thought of selling the car out of state where no front plate is required, so there aren't visible holes left in the grille.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:02 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

This one looks pretty cool.

https://skenebrackets.com/

Going to leave my front plate off for now. I don't have it on any of my other cars.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:21 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
This one looks pretty cool.

https://skenebrackets.com/

Going to leave my front plate off for now. I don't have it on any of my other cars.
I used the Skeen bracket- two bolts underneath where you can't see it, if it's ever removed.

I'm not home but I'll take some pics on Monday.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:24 PM
ericpso
5th Gear

My front plate needs seem to differ from everyone else.

In Denver, parking on city streets gets you a ticket from the meter maid for "no affixed front plate".

SO, I need a way to affix a plate while I'm parked in the city limits only. The car will never be mobile with the front plate. Placing it in my front window on my dash isn't valid because they will ticket you for it not being "fixed" to the front of the car. I've thought about magnets, but getting behind the front fascia to attach magnets is difficult. Using the tow hook is a pain in the ***, and eventually that body painted toe hook cap will get loose and may not stay secure.

I have driven for years with no front plate and never been pulled over. I've also been cited for speeding and the officer didn't care about the lack of a front plate. It's just those damn meter maids in the city limits.

Ideas? I'm not going to use zip ties because I need this front plate attached MAYBE once per week (when I go into the city for dinner) and that gets to be a pain, requiring scissors to remove, etc...

Thank you
Old 01-19-2018, 08:30 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by ericpso
My front plate needs seem to differ from everyone else.

In Denver, parking on city streets gets you a ticket from the meter maid for "no affixed front plate".

SO, I need a way to affix a plate while I'm parked in the city limits only. The car will never be mobile with the front plate. Placing it in my front window on my dash isn't valid because they will ticket you for it not being "fixed" to the front of the car. I've thought about magnets, but getting behind the front fascia to attach magnets is difficult. Using the tow hook is a pain in the ***, and eventually that body painted toe hook cap will get loose and may not stay secure.

I have driven for years with no front plate and never been pulled over. I've also been cited for speeding and the officer didn't care about the lack of a front plate. It's just those damn meter maids in the city limits.

Ideas? I'm not going to use zip ties because I need this front plate attached MAYBE once per week (when I go into the city for dinner) and that gets to be a pain, requiring scissors to remove, etc...

Thank you
I would use small, neodymium magnets painted black. Glue/silicone them to the front bumper area (that long, horizontal black plastic part of the grill that is just below the grates) after applying some clear film (which can be easily removed without damaging the paint). You'll need to glue/tape steel washers onto the bottom edge of the back of the plate if your plates are aluminum like ours in Maryland.

I'm using this method to temporarily hold the rear plate on my Miata, and the plate has not moved at all. Magnets are available at Home Depot.

In lieu of glue, you can try using some industrial strength Velcro fastener. https://www.velcro.com/products/indu...-strength/?sku
Old 01-19-2018, 08:39 PM
MT15

What if you super glue the plate to one of those cell phone holders that attaches to your air vents and just slip it onto the grill slat?
I guess someone could then steal your plate though.

Quick Reply: MACAN GTS Front License Plate dilemma