Notices
Macan 2014-Current

stereo?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 06:52 PM
YerMacanMeCrazy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Specs on the 665 watts Bose system in my Macan?

I'm looking to find any help on the actual dramatic drawing four dimensions of speakers, and amp, possible reconfiguring of the DSP if at all possible and possibly changing to Bermister if I absolutely have to, since Bang and Olufsen doesn't have anything to do with automotive systems anymore now that Harman Kardon bought their vehicle division. My Macan is really really bass-heavy and it has plenty of power especially when just plugged in are playing through Bluetooth on my Note 5 because I have play music at a higher kbp or whatever it's called, much to the surprise of other Macan owners, and self-proclaimed "audiophiles."
I don't know what to do to fix it. I can't get Bose to call me back, and the audio places here just want to sell me an entire new system and I don't want to have to tear everything apart at a place that's not an actual dealership. Somebody please help me we have a 5 axis milling machine the same one that Porsche uses for their Formula 1 racing division and I will gladly make you a set of wheels or whatever you want for helping me. Seriously, I'm not joking.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:55 PM
YerMacanMeCrazy
3rd Gear

Default Specs on the 665 watts Bose system in my Macan?

I'm looking to find any help on the actual schematic drawings and dimentions of the speakers, and amp, possible reconfiguring of the DSP if at all possible and possibly changing to Bermister if I absolutely have to, since Bang and Olufsen doesn't have anything to do with automotive systems anymore now that Harman Kardon bought their vehicle division. My Macan is really really bass-heavy and it has plenty of power especially when just plugged in are playing through Bluetooth on my Note 5 because I have play music at a higher kbp or whatever it's called, much to the surprise of other Macan owners, and self-proclaimed "audiophiles."
I don't know what to do to fix it. I can't get Bose to call me back, and the audio places here just want to sell me an entire new system and I don't want to have to tear everything apart at a place that's not an actual dealership. Somebody please help me we have a 5 axis milling machine the same one that Porsche uses for their Formula 1 racing division and I will gladly make you a set of wheels or whatever you want for helping me. Seriously, I'm not joking.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:58 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by YerMacanMeCrazy
I'm looking to find any help on the actual dramatic drawing four dimensions of speakers, and amp, possible reconfiguring of the DSP if at all possible and possibly changing to Bermister if I absolutely have to, since Bang and Olufsen doesn't have anything to do with automotive systems anymore now that Harman Kardon bought their vehicle division. My Macan is really really bass-heavy and it has plenty of power especially when just plugged in are playing through Bluetooth on my Note 5 because I have play music at a higher kbp or whatever it's called, much to the surprise of other Macan owners, and self-proclaimed "audiophiles."
First off, your message makes it impossible to understand what you're trying to fix, and should probably be a new post in an of itself – not part of this old thread.

What are you trying to accomplish?
Old 08-17-2017, 07:13 PM
YerMacanMeCrazy
3rd Gear

How can I make my Bose system sound better without completely tearing it out and replacing it.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:17 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by YerMacanMeCrazy
How can I make my Bose system sound better without completely tearing it out and replacing it.
Well, you can stop wasting your time reaching out to OEM manufacturers like Bose, Burmester, and B&O – they are going to offer zero assistance. They are production manufacturers and won't have a solution for you.

Your dealer is also not going to be able to help. Once the car is fitted at the factory, that's the audio system your stuck with as far as they're concerned.

Your best and most effective route is aftermarket. The best starting point is replacing the core six speakers in the front including the tweeters in the dash, the midrange in the top of the doors, and the woofers at the base of the door. The factory amp has decent power and you should be able to improve the clarity a good deal this way. I would recommend partnering with a local shop that is trustworthy. If you don't have one that you trust you can chat with me about the remote options(guessing you're not in Oregon?)...

I would be curious what it is that you don't like about the system now and what you want to improve most.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:58 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
It's pretty shameful that it sounds the way it does in this calibre of car – The biggest limitation is the tweeters though. They're harsh, fatiguing, and overall poor quality. We've actually had a few people use our 991 Tweeters in the Macan platform. They fit right in under the factory grilles and improve the Bose sound a good deal. It's no magical fix, but definitely a more enjoyable listen.

Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade

I was going to post on the other thread regarding the tweeters. However my question is more specific to the Macan vs the 991.

There is a good chance i will lock in a November delivery GTS tomorrow. I need to have it finalized by Saturday if i go this direction. The 04 Turbo is tired both the 14 Cayenne GTS and turbo had the Bose system which I hate. No doubt the system in the Macan will be just as horrible. IMO Bose shows you how marketing can sell crap as high end to so many. I have a pair of original 901's and they sucked as well.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Burmeister home products at least the price vs what it offered not interested in replacing the entire system so I won't spend up for it so it leaves me with Bose.

Getting back on track, do you think you will be making another batch of the tweeters. I don't want to buy now if I don't take delivery of the Macan for many months also would i need to modify the grills or are they truly plug and play?

Dynaudio has always made a decent product so I am sure it is a significant improvement. So hopefully I have time but if not, I am assuming I would need the tweeters without the grills?

Thx
Old 08-24-2017, 08:44 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by cobalt
I was going to post on the other thread regarding the tweeters. However my question is more specific to the Macan vs the 991.

There is a good chance i will lock in a November delivery GTS tomorrow. I need to have it finalized by Saturday if i go this direction. The 04 Turbo is tired both the 14 Cayenne GTS and turbo had the Bose system which I hate. No doubt the system in the Macan will be just as horrible. IMO Bose shows you how marketing can sell crap as high end to so many. I have a pair of original 901's and they sucked as well.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Burmeister home products at least the price vs what it offered not interested in replacing the entire system so I won't spend up for it so it leaves me with Bose.

Getting back on track, do you think you will be making another batch of the tweeters. I don't want to buy now if I don't take delivery of the Macan for many months also would i need to modify the grills or are they truly plug and play?

Dynaudio has always made a decent product so I am sure it is a significant improvement. So hopefully I have time but if not, I am assuming I would need the tweeters without the grills?

Thx
Couldn't agree with you more.

Don't worry too much about the tweeters, we're going to keep building them until folks no longer enjoy them. So far that point isn't in sight, so I would expect to see another batch coming up at the end of the year.

We actually have a Macan GTS in here right now that we're doing some further R&D on, so there may even be more options for addressing the audio issues by the time you take delivery.

Stay tuned!
Old 08-24-2017, 09:23 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Tony's post reminds me that ...

I installed Nick's tweeters in our Macan Turbo a couple of weeks ago.

There is a noticeable improvement in clarity over the stock Bose tweeters.

I'm too-slowly working on a write-up for the install. It's not a simple unbolt/re-bolt operation (the install, not the write-up )

I'll chisel on it some more tonight.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:58 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Good to know

I am excited to hear there are options. Lets face it the stereo was never the motivating factor in buying my other Porsche's .

Would be nice to have a better stereo in a Porsche than I have in my Ford Raptor. I am looking forward to what you come up with next.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:49 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Any update on how to install Nick's Dynaudio tweeters in a Macan? I have a set in my 991.1, and would like a similar improvement to my Macan.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:47 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I’ve got something about 80% done, but stopped working on it when Nick decided to be less enthusiastic about the Macan application due to the complexity of the install. If you are not comfortable with using tiny saws and working on ship-in-the-bottle problems....
Old 07-31-2018, 02:13 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Need4S
Any update on how to install Nick's Dynaudio tweeters in a Macan? I have a set in my 991.1, and would like a similar improvement to my Macan.
I can walk you through it verbally with a few photos to help reference. It's not a terribly difficult install, just requires some delicate work in a tight spot. Dave also has a lot of hands-on time with it and some detailed info he might share with you.

Originally Posted by worf928
I’ve got something about 80% done, but stopped working on it when Nick decided to be less enthusiastic about the Macan application due to the complexity of the install. If you are not comfortable with using tiny saws and working on ship-in-the-bottle problems....
I do certainly wish it was easier to support the platform. Turns out the Cayenne is the same way with the dash tweeter mounts, only it doesn't require removal of the A-Pillar to get the grilles off. If you want to rekindle that write-up and need something from me please let me know. I really appreciated what you'd started and I'd be happy to help you get it wrapped up – just let me know!
Old 07-31-2018, 03:09 PM
JDailey
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 1pvr
Unfortunately, the Bose system is woefully inadequate for any Porsche vehicle. Tinny, thin sounding crap, and that's considered an upgrade over the base system!!!!!. Without question, Porsche needs to changer their audio partner.

The Burmeister system is way too expensive to seriously consider (and the Bose costs way more than it should). There has to be some kind of audio system available to Porsche above the Bose in quality (but below the Burmeister, and it really shouldn't cost more than the current Bose). BMW and Mercedes audio systems are far superior.

Overall, in my GT3 it doesn't really matter, but in the Macan and my wife's Cayenne, the pathetic audio performance of the Bose system is inexcusable, particularly at the cost.
My thoughts exactly! The Bose system is really not impressive and the Burmester costs 2x what it should. The Harman/Kardon setup in my current BMW (which cost $48K maxed out with every option) is far better than the Bose. Not sure what Porsche is thinking here, but it is definitely one of the shortcomings of the Macan -- and there aren't many!

-James
Seattle, WA
Old 07-31-2018, 05:10 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JDailey
My thoughts exactly! The Bose system is really not impressive and the Burmester costs 2x what it should. The Harman/Kardon setup in my current BMW (which cost $48K maxed out with every option) is far better than the Bose. Not sure what Porsche is thinking here, but it is definitely one of the shortcomings of the Macan -- and there aren't many!

-James
Seattle, WA
We're working on a bigger upgrade for the Macan at some point this year. Just been tied up with the 991 systems currently. Let me know if you ever decide you want to make a change, we're only a few hours away from you!

-Nick

Quick Reply: stereo?????