Macan 2014-Current

Macan GTS 2017, Volcano Grey

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 11:05 AM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Macan GTS 2017, Volcano Grey

Purchased a Volcano Grey GTS, 2017, to my specs. Took delivery about six weeks ago, and have a bit over 1000 miles. Love the color. Volcano Grey changes from dark grey to a bluish grey depending on the sunlight. Just beautiful.

A few observations. Softer than expected, but that may be the all season tires. Deceptively faster than expected (have to watch the speedo to make sure I'm not excessively speeding), but not exceptionally quick off the mark. Handles well. Overall, drives really well, at about 8/10's of a sport sedan.

I drive it in manual mode exclusively, and on three occasions it's upshifted on its own from second to third at about 3000 rpm. Anyone else have this occur?

Also, the passenger side mirror doesn't tilt down in reverse (and yes, I have it set to do so). Tries to, but barely moves. Have to get this addressed at a service.

Otherwise the fit and finish is excellent, per Porsche's usual standards.
Attached Images    
Old 04-16-2017, 11:07 AM
1pvr
Racer

More pics...
Attached Images   
Old 04-16-2017, 11:11 AM
1pvr
Racer

With my 2015 GT3 (Agate Grey). Interior of the GTS similar to my GT3. GT3 wearing winter wheels and tires.
Attached Images     
Old 04-16-2017, 11:14 AM
1pvr
Racer

More pics, including a comparison of Volcano Grey and Agate Grey...
Attached Images     
Old 04-16-2017, 03:33 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 53 Posts

Very nice - I have a similar Volcano GTS but with the black/alcantara interior. Love it. So much bang for the buck. I love the tech and overall package. Agree on power - great once going but not terrific off the start; as a daily driver it is perfect for me. I have sports cars for the off-the-line fun.
Enjoy and congrats.
JC
Old 04-16-2017, 06:43 PM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 161 Posts

Your photos are making me impatient for my car.

One night I'm on the sparsely traveled interstate coming home in my Cayman S PDK, still new to me. I've forgotten I've set in manual mode, cruising in 7th. I come to a hill, hit the gas a little - doesn't shift down. More gas, more gas, won't shift. Pedal to the floor - holy mother of god it shifts down to 4th, gives me the flat six scream and makes me think of my mortality.

How come? Well, PDK knows what you really want when you goose it - for the Cayman, it means overriding your manual mode when you hit the full throttle switch. Perhaps a Macan's PDK overrides manual mode in more sedate directions. Of course, PDK always overrides manual mode as you come to a stop if you don't downshift yourself.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:36 PM
1pvr
Racer

One thing I don't like with the Macan PDK is the creep at a stop. Wish the clutch would fully disengage, like the GT3.

The problem that I experienced was an upshift from 2nd to 3rd (about 3k rpm to 2k), putting it outside of the power band, while in manual mode and under acceleration. Aside from downshifting automatically when coming to a stop, I've never experienced a PDK in manual decide to shift either up or down, even when bouncing off the rev limiter. I'll have to try flooring the pedal in manual mode to see if it downshifts, though again that doesn't happen in the GT3. However, to my mind, a Porsche should never short shift under acceleration, regardless of transmission mode. Goes against the general philosophy of the company.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:50 AM
chaosoul
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1pvr
More pics, including a comparison of Volcano Grey and Agate Grey...

ooooo congrats.

matching interior :P
Old 04-17-2017, 08:39 AM
1pvr
Racer

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:52 AM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks great.

I too have the passenger side mirror issue on our Macan GTS. My 911 works fine. Really annoying.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:52 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Volcano is a fantastic hue. Absolutely no offense intended but I never really cared for Agate... it looks too "brown" to my eyes in direct sunlight. Volcano, on the other hand, is just about perfect.

Beautiful cars. Many happy, safe miles.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:52 PM
1pvr
Racer

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Volcano is a fantastic hue. Absolutely no offense intended but I never really cared for Agate... it looks too "brown" to my eyes in direct sunlight. Volcano, on the other hand, is just about perfect.

Beautiful cars. Many happy, safe miles.
Yes, I definitely prefer the volcano to the agate, though in varying light the agate can look like GT Silver to charcoal grey. The brownish color really shows in the comparison photos.

Even though there looks to be a similar amount of metallic flecks between the two, the Volcano shows way more red, blue, purple and green than the Agate, which looks flat in comparison in real life.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:02 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

Did I miss it or did I read GT3 with winter tires? WTF.

Anyway the Macan does not have a PDK. It has a VWDK. That's dual clutch supplied by VW. Look at you shift **** and the letters PDK are not there. I swear they were there when I bought the car but then just vanished.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:14 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=dgjks6;14121827]
Anyway the Macan does not have a PDK. QUOTE]

With respect, I believe you are incorrect. Porsche USA's website states that the dual clutch in the Macan is, in fact, the PDK.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/ma...an-gts-models/
Old 04-19-2017, 01:41 PM
1pvr
Racer

Originally Posted by Adk46
Your photos are making me impatient for my car.

One night I'm on the sparsely traveled interstate coming home in my Cayman S PDK, still new to me. I've forgotten I've set in manual mode, cruising in 7th. I come to a hill, hit the gas a little - doesn't shift down. More gas, more gas, won't shift. Pedal to the floor - holy mother of god it shifts down to 4th, gives me the flat six scream and makes me think of my mortality.

How come? Well, PDK knows what you really want when you goose it - for the Cayman, it means overriding your manual mode when you hit the full throttle switch. Perhaps a Macan's PDK overrides manual mode in more sedate directions. Of course, PDK always overrides manual mode as you come to a stop if you don't downshift yourself.
Just confirmed, the Macan downshifts automatically when in manual mode when the pedal depressed all the way down, through and activating the downshift button on the floor underneath the throttle.

Quick Reply: Macan GTS 2017, Volcano Grey