Macan 2014-Current

Unfortunate series of events with happy ending

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 10:38 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Unfortunate series of events with happy ending

My wife left to take the kids to school, I kissed her good bye, closed the door, put on my coat and heard her horn go off. I opened the door and as she was backing out of the garage the garage door closed and it scarped the back of the Macan.

I went out, looked at the damage, gave her a disgusted look (per her) and stomped back inside wondering how she could be so incompetent (my thoughts)

She left and I was loading a set of tires in the Excursion and the garage door closed again. I thought to myself, I just replaced it last year and the garage door is acting up?

Then it did it again. I reached in my coat pocket and found...the remote for the garage door.

I keep a remote in my 997 and when they took the 997 Monday to get the car serviced I put the remote in my coat pocket. There was also a set of keys in the pocket and I guess when I move it pushes the button.

So it was may fault! (Actually it is Porsche's fault because it took them 4 days to change the PDK clutch fluid in the 997 and if they had done it in one day as promised none of this would happen, but I digress)

Actually it is also my fault because I am too lazy to program the opener in the 997.

I debated not telling my wife and just using it against her for a while, then I debated just telling her it was not her fault, it was the garage door. But I decided to come clean and tell her it was my fault.

When I met up with her for coffee she was telling the story over and over to all of our friends. All the women were saying how great it was that I came clean and their husbands never would have done that. My wife was smiling from ear to ear. I think I am going to get lucky tonight.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:31 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Great story. I've been in your shoes and learned that swallowing your pride is usually the best course of action. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:55 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Apologize for your frumpyness. I too live in a similar glass house.

On your new garage opener? I'm assuming you have the electric eye beam attached to the door guides.
They are installed a max of 6 inches above the floor. Problem is that will only catch a car wheel with the beam. The rest of the car??? it just shoots right under your car. On one house I raise the beam to bumper height. So there was no way "anyone" could close the garage door on the car.
This house? I have been thinking of adding a second layer of electric beams?

Empathetic Smoke
Old 04-14-2017, 10:58 PM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

Honesty sets you free MOST of the time. There are some things that men should take to the grave. With that said, even some of the cheesiest garage door openers have sensors that will stop the door from hitting the car. Do you not have one of these options installed?
Old 04-15-2017, 10:59 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

Yeah but is is 4 inches off the ground. The bumper was above the sensor and the tires were not to the sensor yet. It was timed perfectly.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:37 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

I have been researching the double sensor idea?
They are twice the price here. I am still going to pursue this evil plan.
Another layer of sensors is only $35 bucks. Much less expensive than the diner you will have to buy your wife for that non deserved evil eye.
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2017, 05:35 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
I have been researching the double sensor idea?
They are twice the price here. I am still going to pursue this evil plan.
Another layer of sensors is only $35 bucks. Much less expensive than the diner you will have to buy your wife for that non deserved evil eye.
I tried looking into this a while back after my son closed the door on an open vehicle hatch. Luckily it only resulted in scratches and it was only a Subaru. Anyway, I contacted Liftmaster to see if it was possible to wire a second set of sensors and they told me it was not. Maybe this is just a canned answer but I never actually tried it as it did not seem promising. If you get it working, report back!
Old 04-20-2017, 07:04 PM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 161 Posts

It just occurred to me that I could move a sensor up high, and aim the two diagonally across the opening. That would pick up more than just a running cat (no children in my household).

Quick Reply: Unfortunate series of events with happy ending