Macan 2014-Current

GTS vs Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 12:32 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweeper
Hello, need to fess up.. We were offered such a good deal on a turbo, we decided to go that way. The price took a high sticker turbo and made it GTS price. It has 90% of what options we would want. And a couple Kool ones for a turbo, PSE, and air suspension are a two with sport chrono, launch control. She's gonna be a ticket getter(wife). The problem is that my son takes initial delivery, on Saturday, and regurgitates it back to us once we return, in 3-4 months. This is a first! We bought our fl house site unseen, and it was twice as easy as this.. Fretting. I could fly up and get it but he will drop it at a site for Xpel install and bring it home, and put it to bed. He's a good boy, and I trust him completely.. Wanted the GTS but couldn't come together on it. So, it is available, arriving in 2 weeks.. Pm me for info
All I can hear is that song......."chick a chickah"!
Old 04-13-2017, 10:19 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm in a difficult spot here...

My wife wants to get out of her big 2017 Q7 (17k miles).... they're offering us 64k on trade in at Audi for a 62k 2018 SQ5 which was her first choice. Not sure what Porsche dealer will offer until tomorrow.

I've been looking at a new Rhodium Silver 2017 GTS with a lot of options stickered at 85k. I'm sure I can get some movement on this price as a multiple-GT-car purchaser. They have a used 2017 Macan Turbo (10k miles) for sale for the same price.

I think I like the GTS spec better, but I'm sure I'll take quite a depreciation hit on it. Considering the Turbo as that hit has already occurred and someone else had to pay the price.

Or I just get an SQ5 and have extra money for a 964 backdate RSR tribute car.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:05 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Only because the Macan is so different from the SQ5. They are based on the same platform, but Porsche has changed the suspension, engine, and almost all of the critical systems, so that they are more like distant cousins.
I agree the turbo is the way to go. GTS is my fav., but i was selfish to want the only GT car in my family.
Why take another hit? THe Q7 hit must be a tough pill to swallow.

Does tHe SQ5 have everything you want? Don't care for the PDK in the porsche vs the slush box in the Audi and Cayenne? This amongst many other things. THese are the things that swayed me towards Porsche. FOr the minor difference in price, i'd get the Macan..

Good luck, post up what you decide..

Rob

BTW I didn't swallow the Porsche pill to easily on an SUV..
Old 04-13-2017, 11:44 AM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

When you say that you like the way the GTS is speced out vs. the Turbo, what specs are you talking about? Will you both be driving the Macao (or SQ5), or mainly your wife? Does your wife like to drive very hard?

A used Macon Turbo for 85K seems steep to me regardless of the current model year. The car should lose darn near 20K in its first year (or 10K miles).
Old 04-13-2017, 12:27 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

I appreciate the responses!

Originally Posted by Sweeper
Only because the Macan is so different from the SQ5. They are based on the same platform, but Porsche has changed the suspension, engine, and almost all of the critical systems, so that they are more like distant cousins.
I agree the turbo is the way to go. GTS is my fav., but i was selfish to want the only GT car in my family.
Why take another hit? THe Q7 hit must be a tough pill to swallow.

Does tHe SQ5 have everything you want? Don't care for the PDK in the porsche vs the slush box in the Audi and Cayenne? This amongst many other things. THese are the things that swayed me towards Porsche. FOr the minor difference in price, i'd get the Macan..

Good luck, post up what you decide..

Rob

BTW I didn't swallow the Porsche pill to easily on an SUV..
Yes, the Q7 hit was a real kick in the shorts.
I'm going to drive both and get a feel. The Turbo is in Volcano Gray with black wheels / red calipers and my wife loves the color. Does have the (only) chrome around the windows which I guess I can just wrap black. I'm not a chrome guy.

Haven't seen the specs on the SQ5 yet as it arrives on the truck on Wednesday. I'm fine with Daytona Gray though. She used to have an SQ5 and absolutely loved it, but I think she would love a sporty Macan too.

I just get involved because I'm the one driving when we're all together so I can't be driving some mini van or regular car. She claims I force these expensive cars on her, but when I offer to buy her a Kia, she laughs ... so I think she's come around a bit.

Originally Posted by Philip Goughary
When you say that you like the way the GTS is speced out vs. the Turbo, what specs are you talking about? Will you both be driving the Macao (or SQ5), or mainly your wife? Does your wife like to drive very hard?

A used Macon Turbo for 85K seems steep to me regardless of the current model year. The car should lose darn near 20K in its first year (or 10K miles).
Specs as in I love rhodium silver with all the black accents, black interior (kids) and it comes with Air + P(A?)SM suspension and seemingly everything except Burmeister and PTV+. My dealer says he can work out a great deal for us on that... whatever that means.

I assume he can do the same on the Turbo. More my wife's color preference and less depreciation hit. I like the idea of a more raw / drivers GTS as I thought even my tuned RS7 was too cozy and comfortable and not raw enough. She's going to want comfort and wouldn't tell you she drives hard, but she likes hearing a little exhaust and getting a giggle out of it. The Turbo does come with PSE + Burmeister.

It would be her daily... I DD an F150 right now waiting for my second garage to finish getting built. Then I want to add an RS3 to daily and a throwback tribute P-car for mountain driving. GT3 RS for the track and occasional date night when I know I have safe parking or valet.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:42 PM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
The Turbo is in Volcano Gray with black wheels / red calipers and my wife loves the color. Does have the (only) chrome around the windows.

Specs as in I love rhodium silver with all the black accents, black interior (kids) and it comes with Air + P(A?)SM suspension and seemingly everything except Burmeister and PTV+.

I assume he can do the same on the Turbo. More my wife's color preference and less depreciation hit. The Turbo does come with PSE + Burmeister.

It would be her daily...
Sounds like they are both loaded cars. Do each have Porsche Connect, Connect+, Apple CarPlay, etc? Since you mentioned kids, you might want to consider cargo space. The Macan has significantly less cargo space than the SQ5 (we went from a Q5 to Macan S in our family) and the Turbo will have even less space in the back as the Burmeister raises the floor of the cargo area significantly.

The GTS does have a more aggressive suspension, but it sounds like your wife would prefer the Turbo's ride quality.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:06 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Philip Goughary
Sounds like they are both loaded cars. Do each have Porsche Connect, Connect+, Apple CarPlay, etc? Since you mentioned kids, you might want to consider cargo space. The Macan has significantly less cargo space than the SQ5 (we went from a Q5 to Macan S in our family) and the Turbo will have even less space in the back as the Burmeister raises the floor of the cargo area significantly.

The GTS does have a more aggressive suspension, but it sounds like your wife would prefer the Turbo's ride quality.
Ugh, more things to mull over. Not sure about Connect/+ and CarPlay. She has Carplay now as well as the overhead parking camera thing that triangulates all the cameras on the car. I absolutely love this feature for parking... doesn't seem like there's a front camera either. How could Porsche be behind Audi on this??

Cargo is not a big deal as we are probably going to get a roof-mount storage container for Florida trips or whatnot. Good info to have though as I would not have even considered that with the sound system differences.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:06 PM
JeffD
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does she like the Carplay? I have it in my GTS and after the 1st day I haven't touched it. Most of the apps that I use don't have a good interface with it, and it's much easier to mount my phone to the vent and use bluetooth (personally). I got my GTS off the lot but it came nearly fully loaded with the exception of Burmester and a couple other minor things.

The 360 degree sensors are great when parallel parking and for the adaptive cruise control, but I probably would have been fine with just a backup cam.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:25 PM
modkrazy
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Technically, a Macan GTS is not an SUV, it's classified as a wagon.

Quick Reply: GTS vs Turbo