Macan 2014-Current

Just ordered a Macan, to taste.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 11:21 AM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Just ordered a Macan, to taste.

I've never had the patience to order a car before, but compared to my Tesla 3 reservation, it will come very quickly (June, per salesman).

Four cylinder. Trying to be responsible (see fleet listed below).

I owned a Lexus RX-300 for a long time; there's a resemblance, I think.

I've perused the discussions here about options - very helpful. You'll see a lot of safety-related options, aimed at compensating for various age-related issues:

- Palladium Metallic (a redundant name, but I require R != G != B)
- Two-tone black/Luxor beige interior (light-colored dashes produce reflections)
- PDLS (for old eyes)
- Keyless (like my '12 base Prius!)
- Park assist with surround view (for old, stiff neck)
- Trailer hitch ("U" is for utility, doh)
- Roof rails ("U" is for utility, doh)
- PASM (not the air suspension, after thinking about all those tubes, fittings, valves, sensors, controller, air pump, and $150/h labor rate)
- Lane change assist (not the lane keeping, after reading about how it resists, for example, moving left to give cyclists (like me) a wide berth - phooey on that)
- Auto-dimming mirrors (like the Lexus - I've longed to have it again)
- 14-way seats (for my old back, or indulgence - not sure)
- Adaptive cruise control (for my decreasing powers of concentration)
- Dark walnut interior panels (pure indulgence)
- Porsche Connect (dammit, req'd for Apple Car Play)

Old 03-08-2017, 12:26 AM
tigger1197
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you get the LKA, Lane keeping assist? That paired with the adaptive cruise are deal breakers for me if the car doesn't have them. How long till you get to drive her home?
Old 03-08-2017, 07:44 AM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

The salesman suggested a June delivery. He'd be wise to make a pessimistic prediction, so I'll predict early June. What's it been lately?

LKA seemed like a good idea, provided it was smooth, gentle and unobtrusive. I have a particular problem it would address: my inner ears don't work well, and I cannot look away from the road without veering. But I read too many comments that it was not smooth, gentle and unobtrusive – that I'd probably turn it off. I can still be talked into it....

On a related note: My greatest hesitation in buying any car right now is about the coming universality of Tesla-like Auto-Pilot capabilities. Romantic phrases like "driver engagement" notwithstanding, hours into a long drive on a boring interstate - most people will switch it on, even in a Porsche. I recall the European reluctance over cruise control in the 1960's. And cup holders. Time marches on. Porsche may be among the last to include the necessary sensors, but resistance is futile.

In 18-24 months, our garage might have this Macan on one side, and a Tesla 3 on the other. We'll see for ourselves which car we prefer for different sorts of trips. Both cars are in the daily driver category, with certain similarities, but with two huge differences. It's a disturbing thought, but we might come to think that the Macan is an excellent example of old technology.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:36 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Very classy build! Due in June? We may be on the same boat!
Old 03-09-2017, 02:01 AM
tigger1197
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its better to have it and not need it than to not have it and want it. Plus its cheap compared to most check boxes, even most you already have.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:38 AM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tigger1197
Its better to have it and not need it than to not have it and want it. Plus its cheap compared to most check boxes, even most you already have.
Good points. I'll give it more thought. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:11 AM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

OK, I read more reviews of lane keep assist, and have asked to change my order to include it. Thanks for prompting me to rethink it, tigger1197.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:56 PM
LOUISSSSS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm only 30, so our tastes are clearly different. I'd recommend against the LKA because I'd rather drive the car myself. i don't ever plan to fall asleep at the wheel while I'm driving the macan (the next 5-10 years). My next car depending on my state of health also may not have it.

LKA also doesn't work well when the lanes narrow in construction zones, double parked cars, generally narrower lanes, when its raining, when its snowing, when there's dirt or mud on the ground, when the lane lines are not drawn well, and I'm sure under a bunch of other situations.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:05 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I also found LKA to be far too intrusive at times and innaccurate at other times. I passed on it. But it's a personal choice, enjoy!
Old 03-13-2017, 05:25 PM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

I appreciate all input - thanks. There's a risk I won't like LKA or use it much, or at all. My best guess is that I'll find it useful in certain situations, especially when it adds safety. But on the curvy stuff where I live, no. The $690 is small potatoes.

I won't be taking the "Life - Intensifed" tagline that seriously with this car. Driving the Bugeye Sprite around - now that's pretty intense once you get up to 50 mph!
Old 04-08-2017, 10:22 AM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

My sales guy said this about my order status: "your car is set to enter the body shop on April 28th."

The dealer is north of Albany, NY. Who wants to make a guess on delivery? Or, more particularly, before or after my 928 gathering scheduled for June 16-18? (June 16 would be 7 weeks after Apr 28).
Old 04-16-2017, 11:23 AM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Palladium looks way better in person than on the configurator, kind of like Mahogany.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:25 PM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1pvr
Palladium looks way better in person than on the configurator, kind of like Mahogany.
Thanks for this reassurance. I've only the sample/demo articles to go by. I was happy to see it next to the interior piece.

I would have gotten the Mahogany if it were available on a base car. I've seen it on a 911 - luscious. I've had enough of dealer stock neutral colors.

I was a metallurgist, so I'm not so happy with the name "Palladium Metallic". First, it's redundant. Second, Pd is a white metal, like platinum. The actual color is more like cesium.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:31 PM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adk46
Thanks for this reassurance. I've only the sample/demo articles to go by. I was happy to see it next to the interior piece.

I would have gotten the Mahogany if it were available on a base car. I've seen it on a 911 - luscious. I've had enough of dealer stock neutral colors.

I was a metallurgist, so I'm not so happy with the name "Palladium Metallic". First, it's redundant. Second, Pd is a white metal, like platinum. The actual color is more like cesium.
Saw one when I was speccing my Macan, with I believe your interior color. Very nice combo. Wasn't a GTS so I didn't consider it, but certainly I took note of it because it was the first Palladium that I saw.

The Mahogany is a very underrated color, also because it shows poorly on the configurator. It's quite deep in person.

I got the LKA on my car but not the LCA. Figured that I didn't need help changing lanes, but if I was tired and driving alone the LKA would potentially save me if I nodded off. Otherwise I keep it turned off.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:29 PM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

I didn't describe or show the interior well - it's the two tone version, beige with black. Looks good, but I mostly wanted the upper dashboard to be dark to minimize reflections.

Agree on the LKA. The LCA - darn these terms - is the thing that monitors your blind spots, right? BSM. Seems like a very good thing....

Quick Reply: Just ordered a Macan, to taste.