Whining AC compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 09:29 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Whining AC compressor?

Since new, my 16 Macan S has emitted an intermittent high pitched whine from what sounds like the front left side of the engine compartment (clearly audible in the cabin). I think it's either a fan or the AC compressor itself, because when it's making the noise (usually at idle is when I hear it), turning off the AC will stop the noise.

Not sure if this is normal for the car or not, anyone else?
Old 10-06-2016, 08:42 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
Since new, my 16 Macan S has emitted an intermittent high pitched whine from what sounds like the front left side of the engine compartment (clearly audible in the cabin). I think it's either a fan or the AC compressor itself, because when it's making the noise (usually at idle is when I hear it), turning off the AC will stop the noise.

Mine started doing that last week after 11k miles! I am about to take it in to see if the dealer can tell me why.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:12 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I also get the whine! I can really hear it when I have the windows open.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:49 PM
ctdwp
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the whine in my 2017 GTS (since 1K miles)...as it got colder out, the whine has changed over to a flutter/vibration noise. It would go away as soon as you hit the AC button to turn off AC so the dealer ordered a new compressor. This past week, the new noise now seems to happen even if the AC is off so I am not fully convinced it is the compressor. It's been at the dealer since yesterday and I am hoping to pick it up today. Will report back as to what was done and if the issue is gone.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:49 PM
ctdwp
Advanced

I picked up my GTS this afternoon and so far the whine and/or fluttering noise is gone. It was warmer this afternoon so I would normally have the whine. Occasionally I could go a day without hearing it so I wont know for sure until later this week. I didn't get my paperwork back yet so I don't know everything that was done but supposedly the compressor was replaced. I will report back once they mail me the paperwork and once it's gone a few days with no noise.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:05 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

My first-startup-in the-am- in-the-grage whine hasn't recurred since I posted a few days ago. I think I will use the forum rather than go to the dealer!
Old 10-14-2016, 02:26 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I drove it quite a bit around town yesterday, almost certainly the compressor, does not occur with the AC button off but the cabin fans on. Cycles regularly, as when the compressor clutch would be engaged or not. Most audible at idle. Have not brought mine in just yet. Other than the noise seems to be working okay.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:43 PM
ctdwp
Advanced

So far the whine and other noises are gone...was in the car a lot today. It really seems that it was the compressor. Why would there be this many Macan's with noisy compressors (there are similar posts on another forum)?
Old 11-01-2016, 11:34 PM
ctdwp
Advanced

AC whine still gone after compressor replacement...unfortunately the other clicking/fluttering noise is still there and does not seem to be AC related. Posts on another forum show a number of people with this noise and a couple seem to have fixed it by replacing a fuel pump.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:05 AM
ctdwp
Advanced

My fluttering noise issue appears to go away if the heat/AC fans are completely off so it looks like I had two ventilation issues...one was the compressor whine and now the other seems to be fan related...I guess it's going back into service.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:26 PM
Secondhand_Lube
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3

Same on my 19 Macan S. From my previous experience with AC, that jet-like whining sound should be a result of the AC filter behind the fans that protects the system from dust. The car makers had a terrible design that did not balance the outflow air volume and the hives on the filter well, and the vent went like a guy whistling at your ears. That's really frustrating indeed. Either to revome the filter entirely or to enlarge every single whole on the hive filter could solve this problem.

Quick Reply: Whining AC compressor?