Macan 2014-Current

17 Macan Turbo or 16 Cayenne GTS

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 11:10 AM
Cherryblock
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 74 Posts
Default 17 Macan Turbo or 16 Cayenne GTS

New untitled 16 Cayenne GTS- Rhodium with Black, nicely spec at 107 MSRP - delivery miles 95 K purchase or 17 Macan Turbo 107 MSRP, Volcano Grey, Two tone black and ivory interior, heavy optioned including burmester etc at 97,500 - I know this is a Macan forum but overall thoughts as I have had Cayennes in the past but not the Macan.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:00 PM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

In my family we have a '17 Macan S with Air Suspension, '16 Cayenne Turbo, (those belong to my wife and me), '15 Macan Turbo (parents') and '08 Cayenne GTS (additional utility vehicle belonging to my parents). Having spent extensive time driving all four of those vehicles in various environments, I think that I can help by offering my opinion but it's tough without knowing what you'd be using the SUV for.

Any towing? Off roading? Often carrying passengers in the back seats (and would they be kids or adults)?
Old 09-28-2016, 04:59 PM
atwnsw
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Philip Goughary
In my family we have a '17 Macan S with Air Suspension, '16 Cayenne Turbo, (those belong to my wife and me), '15 Macan Turbo (parents') and '08 Cayenne GTS (additional utility vehicle belonging to my parents). Having spent extensive time driving all four of those vehicles in various environments, I think that I can help by offering my opinion but it's tough without knowing what you'd be using the SUV for.

Any towing? Off roading? Often carrying passengers in the back seats (and would they be kids or adults)?
I am not trying to hijack this thread but I am also undecided between the following:
2015 Macan Turbo CPO ($65k vs $85k MSRP)
2017 Macan S ($65k after 7% discount)

2 adults, no kids, no towing or off roading. Occasional passengers in back, adult only. Light driving around town.

Thoughts?
Old 09-28-2016, 07:27 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by atwnsw
I am not trying to hijack this thread but I am also undecided between the following:

2 adults, no kids, no towing or off roading. Occasional passengers in back, adult only. Light driving around town.

Thoughts?
The Turbo's considerably quicker, and warranty will likely be longer on the CPO 2015. For me, the Turbo is the clear choice, everything else being equal.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:45 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherryblock
New untitled 16 Cayenne GTS- Rhodium with Black, nicely spec at 107 MSRP - delivery miles 95 K purchase or 17 Macan Turbo 107 MSRP, Volcano Grey, Two tone black and ivory interior, heavy optioned including burmester etc at 97,500 - I know this is a Macan forum but overall thoughts as I have had Cayennes in the past but not the Macan.
The terminal value of the Cayenne GTS will be much higher, as the base price difference between the models is considerable.

I just ordered a Macan GTS as the Macan better suits my needs and preferences, but I'm not facing your choice and the value equation matters considerably to me.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:47 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thoughts?
I like new and a lot of initial quality bugs have been worked out. How many miles on the turbo?
Old 09-29-2016, 12:07 AM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 534 Likes on 292 Posts

The choice between the Macan and Cayenne depends on whether you want a sporty cuv or a sporty suv. The Macan will drive better than the Cayenne, but the Cayenne will have more room and is more capable off road (most people won't be taking it off road). For my family, the Macan GTS was the perfect choice for my wife. Decent utility and fun to drive. My LX470 is a real suv that we use for camping/skiing/hauling more than 4 people. My Cayman GTS is my daily driver.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:29 AM
atwnsw
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckfever
I like new and a lot of initial quality bugs have been worked out. How many miles on the turbo?
14k miles
Old 09-29-2016, 08:03 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 223 Posts

It's a matter of space..how much space do you need. A cayenne fits a family on any size pretty well with a decent cargo area. The macan is starting to get tight for us, I'm 6' and my 13 year old son hitting 6'1 this creates space issues in the macan we all have to sit a certain way, he sits behind my wife and my daughter sits behind me.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:28 AM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 474 Posts

Thoughts?
Turbo. That's a good price for a CPO model with 85K msrp. For reference I just sold my 2015 Turbo (21k miles/79k MSRP) to Carmax for $60K. My car is not on their website yet but I am guessing they will offer it around $65,000 w/o CPO of course.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:03 PM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherryblock
Mostly 2 passengers, but when 4 all adults, major trips are between our home in the city and our Lakehouse - 2 hr drive - used mostly for golf, grocery getter and carrying my road bike from time to time - 5000 miles annually
I'd mostly be echoing what people have already said in your sister thread in the Cayenne forum and in this thread regarding cargo and passenger capacity. I'll add that the size difference between the models looks smaller on paper than it actually is. In my experience, the space for rear passengers and cargo in the Cayenne is significantly larger than the Macan and it's immediately noticeable. It's such a difference in fact that I would drive well out of my way to swap our Macan for our Cayenne if I had to ferry passengers around for anything longer than a few minutes.

On the performance side of this question, I think that the discussion becomes one of personal driving tastes. Our MY16 Cayenne feels more robust and solid on the road than our MY17 Macan (less affected by strong crosswinds, less road and wind noise transferred through the glass) so I greatly prefer it as a highway cruiser. Having said that, both our Macan S and the MY15 Macan Turbo that my parents have are much more fun to drive through corners. They feel similar to an Audi S4 that I drove until recently, in fact. In a word, nimble. The PDK transmission is nothing short of awesome (much better than Audi's dual clutch, I'll add), the lower weight of the Macan compared to the Cayenne is impossible to ignore, and the steering feels light while maintaining excellent road feel.

So I guess it comes down to where you'll be driving more than anything else. Lots of time on winding scenic backroads warrants the nimble nature of the Macan and its faster acceleration. If driving out to your lake house and golf courses will take up most of your time behind the wheel, I'd got Cayenne GTS all day long.

I hope that helps a bit!
Old 09-29-2016, 01:54 PM
Cherryblock
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 74 Posts

Appreciate all the terrific feedback, RL is a great forum! Decided to go with the CGTS- thanks again everyone !

Quick Reply: 17 Macan Turbo or 16 Cayenne GTS