Macan 2014-Current

Ordering Macan GTS - PTV+ question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 11:50 AM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Ordering Macan GTS - PTV+ question

My wife's Cayenne GTS lease is coming to an end and she would like a Macan GTS to replace it. Is PTV+ a must have option?

TIA
Old 08-04-2016, 01:01 PM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Depending on where you live (looks like Boston) and the climate range you intend on driving it in. If an all-weather vehicle and possibly a spirited drive or two, maybe even a visit to the track - yes, it's worth it.

We have it, love it. But really depends on personal preference.

KS
Old 08-04-2016, 01:14 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Does it make a difference in the snow? I have a X5M which has BMW's implementation of PTV and it helps make the SUV turn like a smaller car but didn't notice anything in the winter.

The Macan will never see the track.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:04 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Not an answer to your question... but ... I can't own a Porsche with an open diff
Old 08-25-2016, 10:58 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

I honestly don't think it's worth it...didnt sway me from picking up a GTS without it.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:49 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses. If the car was for me, I would get PTV+ but since it is for my wife, I decided to forego the PTV+ (I also probably would have gotten a Turbo as well). Our Rhodium Silver Macan GTS will be here this fall.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:50 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
Not an answer to your question... but ... I can't own a Porsche with an open diff
I can't own any car with an open diff (well a McLaren would be ok lol)
Old 09-03-2016, 11:16 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

I have it but to be honest I am not sure ( a common comment by owners) if I can tell the difference when driving. I think it's cool, and perhaps on a spirited drive it helps corner it's 4000+ lbs tubbiness. Also looking ahead at resell is a nice feature. Regardless, enjoy the configuration process and wait. Rhodium Silver is a very beautiful color. When does your build really lock in?
Old 09-03-2016, 02:22 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
I have it but to be honest I am not sure ( a common comment by owners) if I can tell the difference when driving. I think it's cool, and perhaps on a spirited drive it helps corner it's 4000+ lbs tubbiness. Also looking ahead at resell is a nice feature. Regardless, enjoy the configuration process and wait. Rhodium Silver is a very beautiful color. When does your build really lock in?
There are times when I can detect it working, but in day to day driving in fair weather it's invisible. It's an option for edge conditions. How often you explore the fringes of performance will determine if checking this box is worth the cost.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:41 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by cviles
There are times when I can detect it working, but in day to day driving in fair weather it's invisible. It's an option for edge conditions. How often you explore the fringes of performance will determine if checking this box is worth the cost.
That's a good viewpoint. And having a Spyder I tend to explore edges in it rather than a tall lumbering CUV. So that really IS the question: How hard are you going to lean into it with a Macan?

P.s. Regardless, it's still a pretty freakin' cool option...
Old 09-04-2016, 12:55 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm told that PTV+ wears your brakes faster. Even if you don't "feel" it working, it is, often by modulating the brakes in a transparent fashion. That is, transparent until you need new pads.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:42 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I have struggled with this for a long time in the many various configurations of my future GTS. I value the opinions here and agree that in most daily situations PTV+ won't be noticeable. But in the end I think I am leaning toward getting the options which help give my Macan the "most porsche-ness". I like the idea that I can jump out of my 991, get into the Macan and still can drive relatively aggressively if the opportunity presents itself. There are plenty of freeway ramps and sharp corners in daily driving. And if it helps in rain or snow it's just a bonus. I'm coming out of a nice SUV (2012 Touareg TDI Executive) that was more luxury oriented. I am hoping to enjoy the Macan GTS with a sportier edge. I haven't checked the (expensive) box yet...but I think I might!
Old 01-21-2017, 11:10 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 15 GT3, wife just got a 17 Macan GTS. I drove a back to back comparison before speccing her Macan. Couldn't tell a difference with aggressive street driving. The GTS suspension handles very nicely on its own.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:08 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
I have a 15 GT3, wife just got a 17 Macan GTS. I drove a back to back comparison before speccing her Macan. Couldn't tell a difference with aggressive street driving. The GTS suspension handles very nicely on its own.
+1 We have a 991TT and Macan GTS (people back at PCNA are very happy we are a 2 P-car family and even said so in an email!). I probably push the Macan harder than most in curvy, back-roads driving and don't find any need for PTV+. There is very little body roll and yet the suspension is compliant and rides well (even speed humps (the low kind found on streets, not the higher, more steeply angled ones in parking lots) can be taken at insanely normal speeds).
Old 01-21-2017, 02:48 PM
WGJP 993
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
But in the end I think I am leaning toward getting the options which help give my Macan the "most porsche-ness". I like the idea that I can jump out of my 991, get into the Macan and still can drive relatively aggressively if the opportunity presents itself. ... I am hoping to enjoy the Macan GTS with a sportier edge. I haven't checked the (expensive) box yet...but I think I might!
Just do it!
I'm with you. Opinions are mixed. I know I don't need it on the GTS and was going to pass. But now I figure if I'm going to spec one to order, I'm going to check that box and get the maximum performance experience.

Good luck with your config.

Quick Reply: Ordering Macan GTS - PTV+ question