Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Ordering Macan GTS - PTV+ question

Old 10-03-2017, 11:53 AM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 89 Posts

I think he was joking because your bio says you are from Hawaii. Is that an F for a sense of humor?

My Macan doesn't have PTV but if I was ordering one again I would get it. I believe it includes a locking differential as well which should be noticeable as well.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:54 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 544 Posts

No, not that.

If he actually read my post(s), his "joke" about rolling on the floor laughing would not be germane.

I posted about Macan off road and PTV+ handling in mountain driving, half-way through a 2-month ED drive in 3 countries.

No humor there, provided you actually read what you are responding to.

To each his own.

Ahem, tut tut, and apologies all around, old chaps.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:56 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

BTW, why does location or residence data not show up on certain posts, like yours.
Can one opt out of displaying that info, and if so, why would you?
Old 10-04-2017, 02:43 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale
Porsche Torque Vectoring selectively applies the brake to the inside, rear wheel when going around a turn aggressively. When this happens, obviously the outside rear wheel turns faster than the inside wheel through that turn. This transfer of torque has a "pivot" effect, making the turn-in feel more precise and crisp.

In any Porsche, the difference between Torque Vectoring and Torque Vectoring Plus is simply mechanical versus electrical. Torque Vectoring Plus (electrical system) is available on PDK cars, while Torque Vectoring (mechanical) is available on manual transmission cars.

Unless you are driving your Macan very aggressively, there is absolutely no reason to order this option. Most Macans are used for casual daily driving and the system would never be felt. On a Macan, it's a waste of money.

A 911 with torque vectoring is an entirely different story, because 911's are normally driven differently than Macans. Somewhere on YouTube there is a video of 3 different 911 Turbos going around a track. One car has both TorqueVectoring Plus and Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC)l. The 2nd Turbo has Torque Vectoring only. And the 3rd Turbo has neither. As expected, the 911 with neither was the slowest around the track. The 911 Turbo with PTV+ only was quicker. And the 911 Turbo with both PTV+ and PDCC was the quickest. There was about a second separating each one.

Around a track, these individual systems make a difference and those differences add up to better stability, better agility and, consequently, better lap times. On a Macan though, I would spend that money on other options more suited for daily driving, comfort and/or appearance options.

Hope this adds some clarity...
Depends on what you call aggressive. I drive everything quickly, including my pickup.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:43 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Totally agree.

I have been in the Alps for the last month driving my Macan GTS with PTV+, and probably have premature brake wear in the rear from the system activating so frequently.

It is proven technology.

It works.

If you never drive your Macan as aggressively as a 911, save your cash.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:10 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I don’t drive my Macan GTS with PTV as aggressively as I do my 911 but I can attest to the difference PTV makes in even the most mundane situations. I saw this thread again literally after just returning from getting groceries (sigh) in my GTS. Unfortunately for me the closest I can get to seeing the alps are the shiny skyscrapers in the horizon. But on the way home there were no less than a dozen situations where PTV was doing its job making my GTS turn like a Porsche. A quick left across the intersection beating oncoming traffic, the highway cloverleaf, the challenging right-left switchback on the two lane road near the neighborhood, etc, etc, etc. For me, PTV is worth every penny.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:51 AM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PTV a total waste of Money on a MAcan
Old 06-12-2018, 02:28 AM
fuhrius
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by promocop
PTV a total waste of Money on a MAcan
Excellent INput.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:59 AM
JonCanadian
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Loess
My GTS understeers a fair bit with neutral throttle however with a little power it transfers weight off the front and pulls itself around. It really does drive like an awd rear biased vehicle. A bit too much lean for my liking but it is what it is.
This is my GTS experience as well (no PTV+), particularly in Normal mode. I don't regret our lack of PTV because it handles really well as is and I could do without having the extra pad and rotor wear.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ordering Macan GTS - PTV+ question