Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Macan Ordering Advice: Listen or Weep!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 09:33 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Guy
Took delivery of our Macan S on April 13th. It now has over 8000 miles on the clock, run up with long drives here in CA and a long drive to VA and back via NC and TX.

When it comes to Macans, I humbly suggest that I'm an expert. Fantastic road car; perfect for long trips for 2 people.

My advice:

1) the roof rack and load management systems are cheap at the price, and super functional - get them!

2) I had to back-fit the running boards as my salesperson talked me out of them...but obviously I needed them (this is my beach and surf car), and back-fitting them cost me $2500 - almost twice the factory order price!!

3) THE BIG ONE!! We have a 2011 Carrera GTS and its Nav/Sirius XM system gives me the traffic reports I rely on here in SoCal.

Ordering the 2017 Macan S with Nav/Sirius XM I assumed I'd be able to get traffic. NO!!! Before our long trip last month I spent hours on the phone with Sirius trying to get the traffic ap to work. No luck. Only then, after hours with Sirius and finally a suggestion I talk to Porsche did a Porsche boss call me back to inform me that because we did not add Connection Plus on the original order, we never will be able to get Sirius traffic updates. Never. Ever. I'm PO'd. The Porsche guy said: "try WAZE." Gimme a break...so I want to look at another device while trying to drive at 80+ mph?? Did I mention that I'm PO'd!!??

What the heck are the Porsche engineers thinking? Obviously when we ordered the new Macan S we had "the right" to assume some technology overlaps...like the traffic ap on Sirius XM!! So now we have put almost 8000 miles in 4 months on a new car we plan to keep, and never, ever will we be able to check traffic like we do every day with our 2011 Carrera GTS (we live in the San Diego/LA area...yes, traffic info is "rather" important). Shouldn't someone in the Porsche organization have tipped us off about the technology "upgrade?"

I'm an old guy...turning our Macan into a WiFi hotspot or whatever just wasn't an issue...but honestly, I would have appreciated a tip off that the 2017 model was materially different than our 2011. Sirius XM is Sirius XM, right?? Well, apparently not. The Connection Plus option was only a grand or so...it isn't that we couldn't have afforded it if we knew we needed it...geezzz.

Oh, did I mention that I'm PO'd!!!!
FIFY.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:42 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lmao....one these too WOW ........small yo killin mezzz.....non stop
Old 08-20-2016, 11:52 AM
911TES
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From everything I've heard the WAZE map/traffic app is fantastic. Something like a iPhone 6+ clipped onto the dashboard would be great.

I'm not sure how all the different applications work, but WAZE takes inputs from all the users in real-time so it's phenominally up-to date.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:02 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

The WAZE app rocks! Nav, traffic conditions, MapQuest, etc, all rolled into one. Sucks up battery tho.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:09 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Guy
3) THE BIG ONE!! We have a 2011 Carrera GTS and its Nav/Sirius XM system gives me the traffic reports I rely on here in SoCal. Ordering the 2017 Macan S with Nav/Sirius XM I assumed I'd be able to get traffic.
Sometimes, Porsche a la carte building and pricing makes you go WTF.

Our Cayenne diesel has the Premium Plus package, Bose sound system, XM/Sirius, PCM, Nav... but no HD radio reciever. Huh? And it's a physical receiver, not just a software enabling switch, so for all the electronics onboard, we can't (ever) get HD radio.

For a premium vehicle, you'd think a basic radio today would have the HD radio equipment... like virtually every other vehicle sold these days. Odd, and very annoying.

Quick Reply: Macan Ordering Advice: Listen or Weep!!!