Macan 2014-Current

New PCM Nav System Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 12:26 AM
kkapoor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New PCM Nav System Confusion

So everyone knows now that all Macan's from 2017 model year onwards have the new PCM system. There are 3 variations of how you can option the Macan. (Option 3 Below is standard on the new 911)

1. Connect (Apple Car Play) - Pulls all data from iPhone and uses it's data connection. Uses Apple Maps for navigation.

2. PCM with Navigation Module (Built in Google Maps without live traffic or google based services)

3. PCM with Navigation Module + Connect Plus (same as Connect but with incar wifi hotspot, real time traffic, google based services)

Option 1 is simple. The confusion arises with option 2 and 3. I found the following disclaimer on Porsche's website regarding the new built in nav system.

"* The real-time traffic information, Google Street View and Google Earth services include a free inclusive period of at least 12 months and can be extended for a charge at www.porsche.com/connect. Use of these services and wireless Internet access requires a data SIM card. A separate contract with a mobile phone provider, with an associated charge, is required."

This statement implies that in order to get 'Real Time Traffic' or the other Google based services you need to option (Connect Plus) and after 12 months subscribe to a secondary data service for the car to maintain these services.

This is bizarre. If Option 1 above uses the phones data connection why can't the built in system also use the phones data service to pull in traffic info, map updates etc. The way this is structured it seems that the built in Google Maps system might still require paid annual updates in order to update the map database and require a data service subscription just for the car for traffic etc.

I spoke to a dealer who had no clue what the reality of it is since he says they haven't been trained on the new system as yet.

Can anyone add any clarity to this or let us know if they have conflicting information.

Last edited by kkapoor; 01-08-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:17 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Yeeesh! I know what you are talking about. I can't help. I finally just ticked the boxes for 3) so I would have something that worked and would be sellable later on.

Last edited by Zeus993; 01-09-2016 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:21 PM
dave-t
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I read somewhere where it was reviewed that carplay alone which is standard can be used for Nav but it uses your cellphone signal. If you are in the boonies where most likely you would need the nav most likely you will not be able to get a cell signal and it is not going got work. Normal Porsche PCM nav is connected to the car antenna which the carplay is not. Also going in tunnels you would lose signal and have a slight delay which could be annoying. The conclusion I got from the review was that you should get Porsche PCM and Carplay.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:19 PM
kkapoor
Instructor

Originally Posted by dave-t
I read somewhere where it was reviewed that carplay alone which is standard can be used for Nav but it uses your cellphone signal. If you are in the boonies where most likely you would need the nav most likely you will not be able to get a cell signal and it is not going got work. Normal Porsche PCM nav is connected to the car antenna which the carplay is not. Also going in tunnels you would lose signal and have a slight delay which could be annoying. The conclusion I got from the review was that you should get Porsche PCM and Carplay.
That makes sense but still the question remains weather you need a separate data plan for in the built in Nav system to make use of all its features. The new system uses Google Maps who's best feature is dynamic routing with live traffic integration. It would really suck if the system can't use the phones data connection but requires a separate data subscription. Also what about Map updates? Can you update the maps database through your phone or do you need to pay for updates on an annual basis through the dealer.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:44 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

You are correct, options 2 and 3 mean you install a SIM card into your Nav and you pay a monthly fee for your car to be one more cell phone in your life.

Like all automobiles, Porsche's Google-based Nav modules rely on cell networks for connectivity, so the reality is that other than a different interface, it cannot perform significantly better than the smartphone in your pocket. I fail to see the value proposition of the more expensive Nav modules.

Anybody who thinks that option 2 or 3 adds considerable convenience or resale value is delusional. Today's exciting dashboard electronics will be as exciting as 8-track tape decks tomorrow.

Why pay to duplicate the features of any smartphone into the vehicle dashboard when CarPlay works so well? Your phone will link beautifully and give you hands-free turn-by-turn directions. If you don't like Apple Maps, feel free to use alternatives Mapquest, TomTom, Waze, or whatever you prefer. It just doesn't make sense to me to pay for Google infotainment services in your car when you already have them in your pocket.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:36 PM
kkapoor
Instructor

Originally Posted by roule
You are correct, options 2 and 3 mean you install a SIM card into your Nav and you pay a monthly fee for your car to be one more cell phone in your life.

Like all automobiles, Porsche's Google-based Nav modules rely on cell networks for connectivity, so the reality is that other than a different interface, it cannot perform significantly better than the smartphone in your pocket. I fail to see the value proposition of the more expensive Nav modules.

Anybody who thinks that option 2 or 3 adds considerable convenience or resale value is delusional. Today's exciting dashboard electronics will be as exciting as 8-track tape decks tomorrow.

Why pay to duplicate the features of any smartphone into the vehicle dashboard when CarPlay works so well? Your phone will link beautifully and give you hands-free turn-by-turn directions. If you don't like Apple Maps, feel free to use alternatives Mapquest, TomTom, Waze, or whatever you prefer. It just doesn't make sense to me to pay for Google infotainment services in your car when you already have them in your pocket.
Bingo! This is exactly what I mean by confusion. Especially since with CarPlay the phone functions as the computer and the PCM just acts as a display for the Phone. As the iPhone software and hardware are updated you benefit from that in the car. CarPlay is just an interface protocol for the phone. The only issue is that Apple only allows Apple Maps to be used in CarPlay at the moment. Who knows if that will change.

The other confusion is can you still use CarPlay navigation while using the radio or Sirius or once you enter the CarPlay interface you are cut off from those functions.

Either way there is too much redundancy the way that the packages are in the Macan. Porsche should have just had one option which bundled everything together like in the 911.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:46 PM
dave-t
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kkapoor
That makes sense but still the question remains weather you need a separate data plan for in the built in Nav system to make use of all its features. The new system uses Google Maps who's best feature is dynamic routing with live traffic integration. It would really suck if the system can't use the phones data connection but requires a separate data subscription. Also what about Map updates? Can you update the maps database through your phone or do you need to pay for updates on an annual basis through the dealer.
I believe it is similar to what Audi does with their NAV (MMI) you use a sim card and get a paid subscription for the WiFi hot spot through T Mobile or other service provider that gives you the Google Earth, Google Maps and Google real time Traffic. I paid something like $450 for 4 years. There were other plans but the more you got the better the price. That senerio would be for Connect Plus. Not sure how just Connect would work unless that is off a sim card as well. Someone on another forum saids it was sim card based.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:46 PM
kkapoor
Instructor

Originally Posted by dave-t
I believe it is similar to what Audi does with their NAV (MMI) you use a sim card and get a paid subscription for the WiFi hot spot through T Mobile or other service provider that gives you the Google Earth, Google Maps and Google real time Traffic. I paid something like $450 for 4 years. There were other plans but the more you got the better the price. That senerio would be for Connect Plus. Not sure how just Connect would work unless that is off a sim card as well. Someone on another forum saids it was sim card based.
Connect (CarPlay) does not require a sim card. It uses your phone's data.

If you option the PCM Nav module, however, if you want Google Traffic, then not only do you need to option (Connect Plus) but you also need a separate data subscription for your car.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:07 PM
kkapoor
Instructor

So I just got an email from dealer who contacted Porsche Canada directly. This information is for Canada specifically.

Email sent to dealer from Porsche Canada Technical Product Planner:

Point form summary of our conversation regarding Connect options on Macan GTS:

- All Google based services have not been released for the Connect packages on any models. We will not see these roll out until next year. We have done our best to erase all mentions of these features from the cc and website but if one exists please advise.

- Connect pkg can only be selected with the basic PCM head unit. If the customer desires the navigation module as well as Connect features (Car Play) they must select Connect Plus.

- Apple Car Play offers Apple Maps with Real Time Traffic Information - requires iPhone 5 or newer and must be plugged in via Apple lightning cable, not available through Bluetooth.

- Further clarification on what is actually available in Canada below:

- Regarding MapCare nav updates, I am still waiting on some clarification on the frequency of the updates included with the new head unit. Will follow up when I hear back from Germany.

Last edited by kkapoor; 01-08-2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:17 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

So I just got an email from dealer who contacted Porsche Canada directly. This information is for Canada specifically.
Thanks for the clarification!
Old 01-10-2016, 09:56 PM
AlD
Intermediate

Just noticed this post

Regarding CarPlay, we have it in one of our cars (which also has a GPS-based Nav system).

my personal advice, at a minimum get Carplay, if only because upgrading features will be as easy as an iOS update or a new phone, and ALL carmakers are about 12-24 months behind on their infotainment systems.

If you are going to go off-road (which, statistically is rare, but you may), an organic GPS system is nice to have, but so far, the (very basic) Apple apps have worked really well.

We have SiriusXM with traffic data, and so far, they have been about equal. I'd like Apple to allow WAZE as an app, but unlikely to happen as Waze is Google now.

My suggestion - get CarPlay with the lowest-level GPS you can in any car. We have Sirius in all of our cars, but now we can also play the Sirius app on the phone as well.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:53 PM
nicoff
Racer

I just visited Porsche's website and checked out the navigation options in the Macan. I agree that the info provided can be confusing.

I drive an Audi that has several of the features mentioned: Google Maps, Google Earth, Google Street View, real-time traffic, wifi hotspot, picture POI, an App that can "talk" to the infotainment system, etc. Those features require a SIM card installed in the car. After the free 6 or 12 month period, a separate data plan will be required to keep using many of those features.

I noticed that Car Play is available for the Macan. I do not have Car Play in my Audi, but I got to see Car Play being used in a car that I demoed. Based on what I saw, while I see LOTS of potential, Car Play is still very limited in its capabilities. No Waze or Google Maps and just a handful of apps available to date. But I also think that as new apps and capabilities are added, it is just a matter of time before Car Play and/or Google's Android Auto become must-have in new vehicles.

Most auto manufacturers are not very good at adapting the newest technology to their vehicles and rarely keep it updated. Porsche is one brand that comes to mind, but there are many (Toyota/Lexus is one of the worst that I have experienced). So I can see why many auto manufacturers would be perfectly happy providing a basic infotainment system and letting others develop and update those systems (and they can save money while doing it!). After all, car manufacturers are not software companies and it shows in many of their lousy implementations.

We carry in our phones navigation Apps that put MOST in-car navigation systems to shame. I seldom use the PCM navigation in my P-car because it cannot match the power and flexibility of Google Maps and Waze (heck, I hardly ever use my radar detector anymore since Waze will even warn me where the cops are!)

My wife drives a car that did not come with navigation when she bought it nine years ago. The dashboard looks very clean without any kind of distracting screen. When needed, she uses her phone for navigation. She was pointing out that technology made the in-car navigation system obsolete and marvels at how pretty her dashboard looks without an intrusive screen. I can see her point.

Last edited by nicoff; 01-16-2016 at 08:01 PM. Reason: added info
Old 02-07-2016, 11:09 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 197 Posts

Further to this conversation regarding Connect and Apple CarPlay, the Connect portion IMHO is frivolous and rather costly for not much benefit. In typical Porsche fashion, it combines something of little use with something you might want like CarPlay, but charges 4 times what everyone else charges for the option to better justify the purchase.

As none of the 3 local dealers in BC could provide much detail on Connect, I called Porsche Canada (same call centre as PCNA) to get a better understanding. They didn't give me much detail and transferred me directly to the Connect service provider.

ALL Porsche Connect customers get a 1 year free service. Hybrid Porsches get 5 years. After that there are 3 levels of paid service. At first the agent refused to give me any prices as I didn't have a contract yet! Say what? I said I'm about to purchase a new Macan and need to know what the Connect service is all about. Put me on hold. Came back and again refused to give me any pricing! I stated this is ridiculous, how do you expect anyone to purchase a service without knowing the cost?! She relented, and I can see why they don't want to give out the costs, but that is besides the point.

Porsche Connect basic service is $119 per year. You get the free app, (chuckle!) for your phone and you can do delightfully useless things like the fellow in the Macan GTS ad as he chirps his car from across the street to scare the bird away from pooping on his GTS. He has a chuckle and just at fade out the bird poops on him! Funny ad, but whats really funny is that after knowing the costs, I see why he got pooped on! By the Connect service provider!!

For the 2nd tier, Safety Service at $159, you get the basic AND the app will tell you when your airbag deploys . . . ah, kinda late!

The 3rd tier, Security for $219.00 per year, you get 1 and 2, PLUS . . . vehicle tracking, like if someone steals your car. Say what? When was the last time someone stole a new Porsche without the key? I guess it might be helpful if the tracking told me that my new Macan GTS was on a container heading to some distant land. Would be fun to track it across the planet . . . like when you track your incoming package with FedEx. Look its in Japan. Now its in Alaska! Wow, now its in Tennessee!

Frankly, I wouldn't want it back. I'll take the insurance and buy the latest new GTS.

With level 1 you can remotely fold your mirrors, see if you forgot to lock the doors, the window is open etc. Things you normally do when you park. The level 2 safety with air bag deployment notification . . . if a family member had an accident, one could be notified. Not that there is much I could do about it. I could start panicking earlier! With level 3 I could be the ultimate Family Big Brother and follow my wife around town . . . like around Christmas. Oh look, she dropped into my fav mountain bike store, YES! Now it's to the golf store, YES again! Oh no . . . now she's at her divorce lawyer!
Old 02-10-2016, 03:27 PM
kkapoor
Instructor

Originally Posted by CarManDSL
Further to this conversation regarding Connect and Apple CarPlay, the Connect portion IMHO is frivolous ..........!
I agree the connect portion is quite frivolous given the ongoing service cost. In my view Porsche simply bundled it with Apple Carplay so they could have an option they could charge for. CarPlay should be standard for any vehicle at this price point. The only options should be PCM with Nav and possibly the connect plus option.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:51 PM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree the connect portion is quite frivolous given the ongoing service cost. In my view Porsche simply bundled it with Apple Carplay so they could have an option they could charge for. CarPlay should be standard for any vehicle at this price point. The only options should be PCM with Nav and possibly the connect plus option.
Haven't been checking out configurator since my last porsche purchase but I think ( and I stand corrected),

#1 is pcm with no built in navigation feature which also means no hard drive. Thus uses phone (through carplay) navigation features.
#2 pcm with build in hard drive and navigation feature. For non iphone users but need car's nav and built in HDD for music perhaps.
#3 as number 1+2. For all-in-one users.

2 and 3 should be able to use your phone's sim card as well instead of the built in sim card slot on the pcm.

I have pcm with navigation feature on my MY14 TTS as standard. And adding "telephone module" option, it has capability of reading and using the phones sim card for the pcm (through bluetooth connection, no cable required). It also automatically uses the built-in car's antenna (thin wire placed inside the windshield glass) for better signal.

In other words, your pcm become your phone now (without additonal sim inserted on the pcm itself). You cannot dial number through the phone anymore, everything being taken by pcm. Without it (telephone module option), pcm cannot utilize phone's sim.

Quick Reply: New PCM Nav System Confusion