Macan 2014-Current

Macan S vs SQ5 vs Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 12:32 AM
Goldstar
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also deliberated these models.
Ended up with a loaded SQ5, still much cheaper than comparably equipped Macan S. Also found better performance and much more usable space. Love the SQ5 transmission and Supercharged engine combination. Doesn't handle as sporty as Macan but not that far off. Also easily converts to a luxury truck with Driver Select.
Will still likely get a Macan GTS in near future as a stablemate since this one won't need to have the extra space. I find the GTS is the best looking of the line. I'm partial to the VW/Porsche/Audi products and think they have the best vehicles going. IMHO
Old 05-31-2018, 10:26 PM
QueueCumber
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SkipSauls
My wife is in the market for a new vehicle, and the Macan S has been the front-runner in terms of looks, interior, options, etc., but she's on the fence because of what she considers a "low" driving position. Like many, she likes sitting a bit higher, and the rest of the Macan's greatness may not be enough to offset this attribute.

To back up a bit, she's been driving Lexus RX and GX models for over a decade, but is thankfully tired of them. We used her RX on the trade for my 991 S, and for the past 10'months she's been driving my 2011 X5, which she tolerates but doesn't love. Having her even consider a Porsche was enough to make me very happy, as I hate driving the Lexus marshmallow-mobiles. She wants something smaller than the X5 or RX, so the Macan, X3/4, and SQ5 all meet that criteria.

The Cayenne isn't really much smaller in terms of footprint than the X5, although it feels smaller when driving. She doesn't care about things like sport suspensions, 0-60 times, exhaust notes, etc., so the base Cayenne is appealing because of the higher driving position. That the base is slower than my diesel X5 (and likely the RX for that matter) doesn't bother her. I like the Cayenne well enough, but I really, truly like the Macan much more.

The SQ5 only recently came up as it seems to have a higher seating position, and she might actually prefer the Audi numbness over the Porsche connectedness. I like the looks of the SQ5, and on paper it has good stats, but most reviews and comparisons lead me to think the Macan is the better vehicle.

If you've managed to make it through this long-winded post, I'd appreciate hearing about your own experiences, opinions, and arguments for or against these vehicles. She's not interested in the X3/4 or anything from Mercedes. She loves the looks of the new Jaguar SUV, but it's months away and unproven, and she likes the Evoque except for the visibility and electronics. Help me convince her to get the Macan, and at the very least a Porsche!
I can only speak to the SQ5 and Macan GTS w/ sport chrono, as I test drove both today (2018 models).

To me, as a 6' male, the SQ5 was more comfortable compared to the 14-way GTS seats. Mostly because the leg extension on the seat really supported my whole thigh.

The SQ5 had more body roll, looser handling, more throttle response lag, and larger steering wheel turn radius (which sucks if you want to get the most out of the engine with the paddle shifters--otherwise, not a big deal). The GTS handled great, was agile in turns without too much steering wheel turn radius needed, and with the Sport+ (Sport Chrono) didn't require paddle shifting to achieve optimal throttle response.

The SQ5 interior was nicer IMO, especially the electronics. Google maps, and being able to move things between the driver's view screen and the central view screen was very nice. The seats felt much more comfortable to my body size because of the leg extensions on the seats. Though, the 18-way seats in the TTS are the most comfortable I've been in if you're going to go that route. The extra settings above and beyond the 14-way allow me to get my legs comfortable enough for longer rides.

Neither had the top premium sound systems (the SQ5 had stock, not B&O, and the GTS had the Bose Surround, not Bermester). However, on my TTS Cab I have the Burmester, and it definitely sounds much better than the systems in the SQ5 and GTS I drove today.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for though. You are definitely going to be more engaged with the GTS, but it comes at the cost of not being as relaxing and laid-back to drive. Sometimes it's nice if you already have cars that go faster than the GTS, to have a vehicle you can just relax in and do other things in like listen to audio books or music on a long commute without being completely enmeshed in every aspect of the road. The downside of finally tuned handling and acceleration is that small lapses in concentration mean bigger mistakes on the road.

Last edited by QueueCumber; 05-31-2018 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:52 PM
QueueCumber
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

The main issue I have with the GTS is that once I start pricing out options, it becomes very easy to talk myself into the performance package Turbo instead. Then I start thinking about modding it as well, so it's a true rocket. Then I remember that this is supposed to be for commuting, not a toy, and I end up thinking the SQ5 might be the better practical choice for me, since I already have too many toys.

The SQ5 is also more inconspicuous, which is a plus for where I am working.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:32 AM
LandCruiser
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at the SQ5 and the Macan and Macan S and drove a couple when I was up in Denver.

I like the looks and the handling of the Porsche, but can see how the Audi can be more of a practical daily driver.

Since I already own a proper hardcore off road BOF SUV I just went with the one that has the best on-road manners.
Old 12-20-2019, 01:01 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

Hey everyone, I'm reviving an old thread, as I am considering a new small SUV for my wife. She drove a first generation Cayenne S for many years. It was a wonderful vehicle, but she wanted something just a bit smaller. We sold that in 2014 and bought a new Audi SQ5. The SQ5 has been a great vehicle, but it's getting close to 90,000 miles on the odometer and we're considering a new vehicle. My local Porsche/Audi dealer has a 2019 SQ5 on the lot that's very similar to the one that we own now. They also have a 2019 Macan S that's similarly equipped. The MSRP is within a few thousand dollars between the two cars.

I've had base model Macan for loaner cars when my 911 is in for service, and I've always liked them. I've also rented a Macan in Germany and had a chance to drive it on the autobahn. It did well there.

My question is: which would be a better daily driver for my wife? Have the opinions in this thread changed with the newer models? Does anyone have experience with the latest version of each of these cars? The new Audis have the turbo engine now, so the advantage of supercharging isn't there anymore for the Audi. We also own a GMC Denali Crew Cab truck, so I don't need a huge amount of hauling capacity in a small SUV.

I'd love to hear some thoughts.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:28 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Hey everyone, I'm reviving an old thread, as I am considering a new small SUV for my wife. She drove a first generation Cayenne S for many years. It was a wonderful vehicle, but she wanted something just a bit smaller. We sold that in 2014 and bought a new Audi SQ5. The SQ5 has been a great vehicle, but it's getting close to 90,000 miles on the odometer and we're considering a new vehicle. My local Porsche/Audi dealer has a 2019 SQ5 on the lot that's very similar to the one that we own now. They also have a 2019 Macan S that's similarly equipped. The MSRP is within a few thousand dollars between the two cars.

I've had base model Macan for loaner cars when my 911 is in for service, and I've always liked them. I've also rented a Macan in Germany and had a chance to drive it on the autobahn. It did well there.

My question is: which would be a better daily driver for my wife? Have the opinions in this thread changed with the newer models? Does anyone have experience with the latest version of each of these cars? The new Audis have the turbo engine now, so the advantage of supercharging isn't there anymore for the Audi. We also own a GMC Denali Crew Cab truck, so I don't need a huge amount of hauling capacity in a small SUV.

I'd love to hear some thoughts.
As you are looking at one 2019 Macan, what does it come equipped with?
Old 12-20-2019, 07:51 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts

Sold our Q5 TDI when it went out of warranty and got a "used" 2017 Macan GTS with 17K miles. Absolutely love it and can't believe it's built off the same chassis as the Q5. It is my wife's DD and she loves it as well. Some friends have a new SQ5 and while it is a nice car, I think the steering, brakes, etc have a much better "feel." I've been driving various Porsches for nearly 50 years, and the Macan is actually fun to drive. Can't say that for a lot of SUV's...

We had a first gen Cayenne S as well and were very happy with it.
The following users liked this post:
dg108 (12-21-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 10:12 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wwahl
As you are looking at one 2019 Macan, what does it come equipped with?
Link to the car we are considering:

https://www.prestigeimportsporsche.c...ab2a52klb31919
Boulder Mike (12-21-2019)
Old 12-21-2019, 09:33 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I like the looks of the SQ5, but the Macan S or GTS wins on most counts. It's simply a superior car. Plus, I refuse to buy a car with fake exhausts - the SQ5 exhaust pipes exit from under the vehicle, not through the rear ports where they should. Tacky, IMO.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:01 AM
Aldo
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
I like the looks of the SQ5, but the Macan S or GTS wins on most counts. It's simply a superior car. Plus, I refuse to buy a car with fake exhausts - the SQ5 exhaust pipes exit from under the vehicle, not through the rear ports where they should. Tacky, IMO.
Agreed- the fake exhaust outlet trend is just silly and for me would disqualify an SQ5.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:39 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Link to the car we are considering:

https://www.prestigeimportsporsche.c...ab2a52klb31919
Have to be honest, that seems like a great bargain on a new Macan S.

It's not exceptionally well optioned, but it has all the essentials; it's basically the same car as my 2015 Macan S and that was the best car I've ever owned.

Plus, the color combo is magnificent. Mamba green isn't for everyone, but for those it "speaks to", it really enhances the ownership experience. While it "shouldn't" matter what other people's perception is of the car... it undeniably does for anyone who's considering cars in this segment, and frankly you'll get far more comments and for lack of a better term attention in this car than an SQ5. Plus, just looking at the car and appreciating it really goes a long way in justifying why you didn't just go with a grayscale RAV4, right?

In my opinion the clear taillight looks better as well, and this one comes standard.

I think the choice is clear, but I concede I have a bit of bias.
Boulder Mike (12-21-2019)
Old 12-21-2019, 11:15 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I looked at new and used SQ5s (supercharged older versions and the stupid fake exhaust newer ones) and thought the power delivery was decent. However, I just hated how the e-throttle cut out when I left foot braked, a total deal-killer for me. Also, the steering was as loose and lacking in feel as a video game.

I obviously chose the Macan. If none of the reasons that bothered me don't bother you or your wife, the SQ5 is a better value, IMO.

Old 12-21-2019, 11:32 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Have to be honest, that seems like a great bargain on a new Macan S.

It's not exceptionally well optioned, but it has all the essentials; it's basically the same car as my 2015 Macan S and that was the best car I've ever owned.

Plus, the color combo is magnificent. Mamba green isn't for everyone, but for those it "speaks to", it really enhances the ownership experience. While it "shouldn't" matter what other people's perception is of the car... it undeniably does for anyone who's considering cars in this segment, and frankly you'll get far more comments and for lack of a better term attention in this car than an SQ5. Plus, just looking at the car and appreciating it really goes a long way in justifying why you didn't just go with a grayscale RAV4, right?

In my opinion the clear taillight looks better as well, and this one comes standard.

I think the choice is clear, but I concede I have a bit of bias.
You’re right about the color. It’s not for everyone, but we love it.

We’re at the point now where we are going to either buy the Macan, or keep our current SQ5 (old body, with real tailpipes).
Old 12-21-2019, 07:43 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts

If I remember correctly don't some of the newer GT2 RS's have fake exhausts as well?????
Old 12-21-2019, 09:12 PM
jtm1631
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m in Denver as well and also looking at the SQ5 and Macan. I’m more focused on a 2018 GTS Macan though.

here are my thoughts. The Macan is definitely more fun to drive. I especially like how the transmission and engine work so well together. I’m currently in a 2016 Audi S6 so I want something fun to drive but need something that can get me to our remote cabin in the mountains. The S6 ground clearance limits that.

driving aside I think the Audi Has more features I’m looking for. Heads up display. Adaptive cruise control. Surround cameras. Virtual cockpit. Wireless phone charger.

I’m having a difficult time deciding because the Audi SQ5 isn’t a slouch but not nearly as much fun. However the features for the cost are significantly more. Plus a 2019 SQ5 Prestige can be had for about 15% off MSRP.

Quick Reply: Macan S vs SQ5 vs Cayenne