Macan 2014-Current

Anyone tow with their Macan?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 12:26 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Anyone tow with their Macan?

Was thinking of ordering a GTS but I want to two my GT3 or GT4 to the track on an aluminum open trailer. It's close to the towing capacity max weight which I think is around 4500lbs.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2015, 02:48 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Is it true they upped the towing capacity to 5200lbs?

Reading conflicting info.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:04 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

I do, to some extent.

6GT3 and Trailex 7541: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...l#post12442133. Weights are 850 + 3200 roughly.

I did hardwire a Tekonsha P3 - see here: http://www.macanforum.com/forum/engi...-does-tow.html - for safety reasons. Car has tow package and air susp.

I have had no issues or problems. The car pulls well, accelerates fine, brakes well, and I have felt no handling issues. That said, I "know", ie can feel, there is a loaded trailer back there and drive accordingly for safety reasons (ie take my time, etc..). I have performed panic stops in a parking lot and fast(er) side to side avoidance maneuvers (but it is very hard to replicate highway speeds in a parking lot, so....).

I live in southern NJ which is flat and have a track (NJMP) about 30+/- miles from me. Mainly I wanted the ability to get the GT3 to my mechanic periodically and to take it to NJMP. For out of State tows I can use another (larger and less comfy) vehicle.

Depending on geography and distance your experiences (and resultant wear) may be different. Bottom line, given geography and usual towing distances, my use and resultant stress on the car is relatively minimal. And I am very careful/extra cautious when towing.

HTH..

Last edited by cello; 01-02-2016 at 12:56 PM. Reason: fixed typos and add thoughts..
Old 01-02-2016, 12:12 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I did not order car with tow package but it can be added later. Here is link to parts. https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PKMACANHITCH.html
Old 01-02-2016, 07:15 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cello
I do, to some extent.

6GT3 and Trailex 7541: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...l#post12442133. Weights are 850 + 3200 roughly.

I did hardwire a Tekonsha P3 - see here: http://www.macanforum.com/forum/engi...-does-tow.html - for safety reasons. Car has tow package and air susp.

I have had no issues or problems. The car pulls well, accelerates fine, brakes well, and I have felt no handling issues. That said, I "know", ie can feel, there is a loaded trailer back there and drive accordingly for safety reasons (ie take my time, etc..). I have performed panic stops in a parking lot and fast(er) side to side avoidance maneuvers (but it is very hard to replicate highway speeds in a parking lot, so....).

I live in southern NJ which is flat and have a track (NJMP) about 30+/- miles from me. Mainly I wanted the ability to get the GT3 to my mechanic periodically and to take it to NJMP. For out of State tows I can use another (larger and less comfy) vehicle.

Depending on geography and distance your experiences (and resultant wear) may be different. Bottom line, given geography and usual towing distances, my use and resultant stress on the car is relatively minimal. And I am very careful/extra cautious when towing.

HTH..
Thanks for the feedback.

I'd be towing further 250-350 miles per way.

Have you towed with a Cayenne in comparison?
Old 01-03-2016, 02:34 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I tow with my Macan without air suspension and I tow my Z06 on a 20' Featherlite. The car has no issues towing and is very stable at speed. The only issue is the fuel tank is fairly small, and I only average about 12 MPG so I have to fill up fairly often.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:37 AM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by STALKER99
Thanks for the feedback.

I'd be towing further 250-350 miles per way.

Have you towed with a Cayenne in comparison?
WC

I do not own the Cayenne (wife did not like the size). That would have been my first choice if towing usage were primary (...as you know the Macan is a pretty fun tossable fast 'suv', so for day to day it wins hands down).

Been in/driven Cayennes towing open and enclosed trailers however. Cayenne wins hands down for towing. Dont even "feel" an open back there and if an aluminum enclosed barely feel that.

The two things that worry me about a lot of towing use is (1) how the pdk/transfer case/diffs/etc will hold up over time and (2) braking and stability in emergency situations (given the short wheelbase and the smaller calipers esp on the S).

#2 you can control to a certain extent, but the more and longer and higher the speed the greater the risk....
#1 might be a problem over longer distance and/or more taxing tows as the tranny was not designed (to my understanding) with any extra robustness or cooling.

Bottom line, if it is 'horses for courses' then its the Cayenne when towing is to be at least a reasonably significant part of intended usage IMO & FWTW. I would think Porsche looks at it that way as well so there may be a third worry unfortunately and that would be P's position on warranty coverage/good will if #1 and there is reason to believe or know there was a lot of towing use at max or near max capacity...
Old 01-09-2016, 11:41 PM
Astrix
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 66 Posts

Good info Cello ^^

We are waiting on our Turbo and ordered it with tow pack. We also have a 996 GT3 like you... I just need to find a good Aluminum trailer.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:54 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

The two things that worry me about a lot of towing use is (1) how the pdk/transfer case/diffs/etc will hold up over time
I thought I read early on that's why PDK is not offered on Cayenne...concerns over impact of towing.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:20 AM
goodmdo1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WC

The two things that worry me about a lot of towing use is (1) how the pdk/transfer case/diffs/etc will hold up over time and (2) braking and stability in emergency situations (given the short wheelbase and the smaller calipers esp on the S).

#2 you can control to a certain extent, but the more and longer and higher the speed the greater the risk....
#1 might be a problem over longer distance and/or more taxing tows as the tranny was not designed (to my understanding) with any extra robustness or cooling.

Bottom line, if it is 'horses for courses' then its the Cayenne when towing is to be at least a reasonably significant part of intended usage IMO & FWTW. I would think Porsche looks at it that way as well so there may be a third worry unfortunately and that would be P's position on warranty coverage/good will if #1 and there is reason to believe or know there was a lot of towing use at max or near max capacity...
#2 could get real interesting when one of the crazies out there pulls a bone head maneuver in front of you.

I tow my open featherlite with a cayenne and once was headed downhill in the rain on a divided highway when a crazy going in the other direction decided to do a left turn right across my path. Somehow got slowed in time to miss him but was already visually checking out the traffic density going in the opposite direction for a possible escape route!

The suncoast link for the Macan hitch said max hitch weight of 440 pounds - be sure to check that, positioning to stay under the 670 or so weight for the cayenne took some time. 440 seems tougher.

Last edited by goodmdo1; 01-20-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:35 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

440 pounds is a small trailer for track wheels/tires or a bicycle carrier. I don't think we're hauling 28' boats. At least I'm not.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:45 AM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by goodmdo1
The suncoast link for the Macan hitch said mas hitch weight of 440 pounds - be sure to check that, positioning to stay under the 670 or so weight for the cayenne took some time. 440 seems tougher.
Not sure if directed to me or you are making the broader point to watch tongue weight generally ..

Not hard to get the tongue weight below that figure if one has a 911 and a properly set up Trailex (axles located correctly). There is a reason why they are known as 'the 911 trailer' . Mine is in the 200+lb range.

You are correct on the other point - thats all it takes.....
Old 01-19-2016, 01:10 PM
danit
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can tow an Airstream Sport!
Old 01-19-2016, 04:24 PM
PCecilian
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Need4S
I did not order car with tow package but it can be added later. Here is link to parts. https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PKMACANHITCH.html
Is this as good as the factory tow package? I have been thinking of going Macan for a family car and towing my kart around the east coast. New Cayenne is beyond my budget.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:15 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PCecilian
Is this as good as the factory tow package? I have been thinking of going Macan for a family car and towing my kart around the east coast. New Cayenne is beyond my budget.
I would think so as I think it is a factory kit and parts, but don't have direct personal experience. Give them a call?

Quick Reply: Anyone tow with their Macan?