Macan 2014-Current

Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 08:47 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts
Default Battery Replacement

I know it's a long way off but as they say, "Knowledge is power". Reading the owner's manual, it states to the effect that a Porsche Dealer must install and initialize the battery. Depending on where and when the battery might "crap out", this could prove to be very inconvenient. This seems to be similar to the BMW IBS, Intelligent Battery System (not irritable bowel syndrome). Not owning another late model Porsche, I'm wondering if the 991, Panamera, Cayenne, etc. require this and, if so, can anyone confirm this and what's entailed? To avoid having to purchase a Porsche battery, it would seem prudent to purchase a battery of your choice at a pre-determined date and pro-actively have the dealer install and initialize it. Any information on this subject will be appreciated.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:03 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know about you but to me that sounds like Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:27 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

The more I think about it, the best course of action would be, after a certain number of years, purchase a replacement battery from Interstate or East Penn, then, in order to maintain continuity, attach a 12v. source to the terminals in the engine compartment while changing out the battery in the trunk....thereby saving money and potential inconvenience due to a dead battery.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:29 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
The more I think about it, the best course of action would be, after a certain number of years, purchase a replacement battery from Interstate or East Penn, then, in order to maintain continuity, attach a 12v. source to the terminals in the engine compartment while changing out the battery in the trunk....thereby saving money and potential inconvenience due to a dead battery.
Would there be s risk of overcharge resulting in burning up ECU and other delicate electrical components?
Old 10-09-2015, 01:55 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Absolutely not. Think about it in these terms: When you attach a battery tender to your vehicle, you're doing the same thing: attaching a 12v power source to the vehicle. If you disconnect the battery in the trunk, the added 12v. source is still there powering the various memory functions in the vehicle until you can install a new battery. The vehicle only draws the amperage that it needs from a battery. At rest, it's only in the low milliamp range.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:35 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a plan then.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:22 PM
nyca
Three Wheelin'

Received 723 Likes on 400 Posts

Can't comment on the Porsche system, but on the BMW, you can get away without registration if you use the exact same battery as the one you are replacing. On the BMW, the charging system is coded for the specs of the battery - so if you replace with anything other than an exact spec replacement, the charging profile will not be changed if you don't register, and that will affect your new battery. That's the main issue regarding registration - matching the specs of the replacement battery to the charging system profile stored in the ECU (which knows about the "old" battery), at least it is for BMW. In a BMW, you will get warning message in advance of the "crap out" that let's you know you should change the battery (again, not sure about Porsche), so that's not the issue, what people dislike about the registration is the cost of the factory replacement/dealer installed battery.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:16 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Good info., nyca! Would be nice if there are any Porsche techs on board to either confirm or deny that the Macan requires the exact battery as a replacement. Can anyone confirm the correct AGM battery size? Is it an H7?

Last edited by NC TRACKRAT; 10-11-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:42 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AGM

Good info., nyca! Would be nice if there are any Porsche techs on board to either confirm or deny that the Macan requires the exact battery as a replacement. The required battery size is an H9 Group 95 AGM and there are a number of sources for them. They weigh 65 lb.!
Yes because of the start stop feature new cars are using The absorbed glass mat (AGM) batteries. They do last longer than the old style batteries.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:13 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

After doubting my own post, I started looking in earnest for any definitive listing for battery size and found this from VARTA:
https://www.varta-automotive.com/en-...2%7D&find=find
It shows two sizes, a G14 353mm and a H15 394mm. Anyone else find any other manufacturer's listing?
Old 10-19-2017, 07:27 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Interesting. No doubt a good independent with the ability to access the system can do whatever it takes to do what is required.

I am picking up a GTS Saturday and I doubt the battery will last as long as it did in my 04 Cayenne turbo. I have had that car since new and just replaced the battery last month. Interestingly it still tested as good after all these years. I have never had any other brand battery last over 7 years usually less. I guess only time will tell.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:55 AM
GasStation
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DEAD BATTERY

I am taking possession of a brand new Macan GTS 2018 next Monday 10 Jun 2019. I know the battery was dead for a couple of days while the car was sitting in the sales room of the dealership. I suspect the battery is an AGM type and if similar to my 2015 911 AGM Banner battery, the manufacturer suggests a recharge as soon as possible if the open circuit voltage drops below 12.5 VDC.

I intend on requesting a brand new battery replacement before taking possession. Would you agree this to be a reasonable and conservative request given the fact it is a brand new battery and an although a warranty item, it is pro-rated for wear and tear.

Gas
Old 06-07-2019, 10:00 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

"I know the battery was dead for a couple of days while the car was sitting in the sales room of the dealership." Dead or just disconnected? Some dealers will disconnect batteries of new vehicles on the showroom floor for safety reasons. If just disconnected for a few days, there will be no harm. If you have concerns, have the dealer load test the battery to determine its condition.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:43 AM
GasStation
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I know the battery was dead for a couple of days while the car was sitting in the sales room of the dealership." Dead or just disconnected? Some dealers will disconnect batteries of new vehicles on the showroom floor for safety reasons. If just disconnected for a few days, there will be no harm. If you have concerns, have the dealer load test the battery to determine its condition.
The battery was "Dead" not disconnected. The trickle charger was not plugged in properly probably because of neglect. This is a heavy sales period in Canada. Hence, no one, i.e. sales personnel, took the time to care for the vehicle.

Is it unreasonable for a customer purchasing a $100,000.00 ++ car with 22 km on the odometer, to insist that the battery commences the 4-year warranty period at peak performance?

Gas

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement