Macan 2014-Current

US Macan Diesel: Unicorn?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 04:25 AM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B
Don't need know, need to ask the wife. She wants one bad. I'm not going to question the request. Somethings you just let slide.
Sh*t! That settles it then. Do not question authority. I learned the hard way once.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:58 AM
perlfather
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubik
In full awareness that I'd get blasted for this: And why is everyone so anxious about the diesel? If you want diesel, get a ford F350 super duty.
No blasting. If you are curious - drive an Audi with this engine in S mode and step on it at ~2000RPM when there are 428ft-lbs of torque available. This type of power and the long range on a tank make this an ideal engine for us in this car. You do not get the high revs but oh what power at low RPM.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:20 PM
greenbe
Advanced

In full awareness that I'd get blasted for this: And why is everyone so anxious about the diesel? If you want diesel, get a ford F350 super duty.
Same answer: Wife wants one. I don't even know how she found out about it. But I looked at the specs and it seems reasonable to me. The range on the car seems impressive compared to any in its class but I have not done exhaustive search.... since the decision has already been made. There is only the minor issue if complete lack of the actual car.

As covered above it is not the exact same engine as Audi. It is roughly 30% less horsepower. There is no detail offered on the exact differences.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:13 PM
perlfather
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by greenbe

As covered above it is not the exact same engine as Audi.
I did check with the Porsche engineer in Frankfurt on Tuesday and indeed (according to him) the Macan will get the exact same engine as the US A6, A7, A8, Q5, etc. the 3.0 TDI. - perhaps the very slightly higher rated 3.0 TDI in the 2017 Q7
Old 09-18-2015, 06:53 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by perlfather
... at ~2000RPM when there are 428ft-lbs of torque available. This type of power and the long range on a tank make this an ideal engine for us in this car. You do not get the high revs but oh what power at low RPM.
This part I know. It's the very nature of a diesel engine. But a P!gglet needs the higher revs from time to time, otherwise she won't be a P!gglet.

Case in point: I was returning from an opera last night with my wife. I entered the freeway at a point where the freeway begins and there is no merging, just open highway. Down shift and the RPM is at 3500 and floor it, 5500 up-shift, 5500 up-shift. In the meantime, I'm hearing a symphony from the back of the car while my adrenaline is beginning to reach my toes. Will I get that from a diesel? I think not.

Last edited by Rubik; 09-18-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:37 PM
perlfather
Rennlist Member

Case in point: I was returning from an opera last night with my wife. I entered the freeway at a point where the freeway begins and there is no merging, just open highway. Down shift and the RPM is at 3500 and floor it, 5500 up-shift, 5500 up-shift. In the meantime, I'm hearing a symphony from the back of the car while my adrenaline is beginning to reach my toes. Will I get that from a diesel? I think not.
You are correct no 5500 RPM- Think of the diesel as Luciano singing "Una furtiva lagrima" or "La donna mobile" as opposed to Cecilia Bartoli singing a Mozart aria.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:50 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

You are correct no 5500 RPM- Think of the diesel as Luciano singing "Una furtiva lagrima" or "La donna mobile" as opposed to Cecilia Bartoli singing a Mozart aria.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:04 AM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cayenne diesel sells well here. Perfect for the Cayenne and as a daily driver due to low-end torque.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:08 PM
Powereng
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This part I know. It's the very nature of a diesel engine. But a P!gglet needs the higher revs from time to time, otherwise she won't be a P!gglet.

This is why you always keep a 911 in the stable, when you need the symphony, take the 911, for other times, the Macan will work with real good gas mileage. My wife drives the macan turbo and does not come close to pushing the car, I keep my 911. Best of both worlds. I would have most likely looked into the diesel for the macan had it been available at the time I purchased.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:03 PM
greenbe
Advanced

I did check with the Porsche engineer in Frankfurt on Tuesday and indeed (according to him) the Macan will get the exact same engine as the US A6, A7, A8, Q5, etc. the 3.0 TDI. - perhaps the very slightly higher rated 3.0 TDI in the 2017 Q7
So we are back off topic, I think you should start a new thread on the engine differences. I am interested, but it's a different topic than those who have made the decision to get the diesel no matter the spec, if only they will sell it in the US.

Nonetheless, if you can ask the engineer why the published specs have the SQ5 TDI at 313hp/479lbft and the Macan S Diesel at 258hp/428lbft if they are exactly the same engine? Scroll up for the links. Are they the same cc & format and do they fit the same engine mounts - yes absolutely. Beyond that very hard to find any details.

By the way I did find out how the wife learned about Macan .... but that's a whole 'nother story.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:32 AM
perlfather
Rennlist Member

So we are back off topic, I think you should start a new thread on the engine differences. I am interested, but it's a different topic than those who have made the decision to get the diesel no matter the spec, if only they will sell it in the US.

Nonetheless, if you can ask the engineer why the published specs have the SQ5 TDI at 313hp/479lbft and the Macan S Diesel at 258hp/428lbft if they are exactly the same engine? Scroll up for the links. Are they the same cc & format and do they fit the same engine mounts - yes absolutely. Beyond that very hard to find any details.

By the way I did find out how the wife learned about Macan .... but that's a whole 'nother story.
The 313 hp/479lbft engine is also 3.0l but has 2 turbos while the 240hp/428flbt (currently in the Audis) has a single turbo. In Europe both are available, in the US only the 240hp/428ftlb.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:42 PM
greenbe
Advanced

The 313 hp/479lbft engine is also 3.0l but has 2 turbos while the 240hp/428flbt (currently in the Audis) has a single turbo. In Europe both are available, in the US only the 240hp/428ftlb.
Again off topic ..... I have not seen a link for a 313hp diesel in a Macan body. Is that what you are saying?
Old 09-21-2015, 08:56 PM
perlfather
Rennlist Member

Again off topic ..... I have not seen a link for a 313hp diesel in a Macan body. Is that what you are saying?
I have seen this 313hp diesel engine only offered in Europe on Audis. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:41 PM
jwbeard
Intermediate

Bet these are going to get held up in port thanks to VAG.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:55 PM
Porsches
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Hmmm

Just wondering how long it will be before we hear that adblue was BS and that the diesels throughout the manufacturers lineup in Mercedes, VW, Porsche were polluting to the moon.

Quick Reply: US Macan Diesel: Unicorn?