Macan 2014-Current

AC Evaporator Freeze Up

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 11:08 PM
HT#70
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AC Evaporator Freeze Up

First really hot and muggy day today, and after an hour on the road no airflow from AC. Parked for an hour, big puddle of water under car and airflow is back. Seems like evaporator froze. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 05-07-2015, 11:16 PM
Powereng
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear, never experienced a problem like that. You want to give your local dealer a yell and see what they say..
Old 05-08-2015, 07:51 AM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

HT,
I'm not familiar with the Macan, yet, however most ac system designs have an thermo probe sensor located inside the evaporator core to regulate compressor on/off. Assuming your model is like 'most,' and its new, I'd say you have probe sensor, or hvac controller, failure. If you have a 2015 take advantage of your warranty: drop it off at the dealer, get a loaner and let them handle the worry.

Griff

http://griffiths.com/porsche/air-conditioning/
Old 05-12-2015, 10:47 AM
kellf190
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had this exact same issue, 2 days in a row. My Macan is 3 weeks old and has less than 800 miles on it. An hour into a trip AC air flow was almost zero. It's going to the dealer tomorrow.

Did you find a fix to yours??
Old 05-16-2015, 10:38 AM
HT#70
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kellf190
I just had this exact same issue, 2 days in a row. My Macan is 3 weeks old and has less than 800 miles on it. An hour into a trip AC air flow was almost zero. It's going to the dealer tomorrow.

Did you find a fix to yours??
Not yet, I don't live anywhere near a dealer and need to plan a trip to get the car there. I also fortunately live where windows open is fine most of the time. Will try to get it to dealer by end of month. Please post if you learn anything more taking yours in.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:41 PM
Whammo
1st Gear

Yes, I have the same issue on my 2015 Macan S. Took to dealer last fall and they found nothing wrong. The problem recurred last weekend on a humid day while driving from Chattanooga to Atlanta. I do not have a fix yet.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:10 PM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

If you find the ac is working perfectly for a period time in your drive and then it starts to degrade (warmer air). And, say you stop the vehicle and park for 15 minutes with AC off, notice a puddle of water under the car after waiting, you start the AC again it seems to work again.... the evap core is freezing up: defective temp sensor in evap core, control head, or location of sensor in evap core has to be changed.

Last edited by griffiths; 07-16-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:56 PM
HT#70
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by griffiths
If you find the ac is working perfectly for a period time in your drive and then it starts to degrade (warmer air). And, say you stop the vehicle and park for 15 minutes with AC off, notice a puddle of water under the car after waiting, you start the AC again it seems to work again.... the evap core is freezing up: defective temp sensor or control head.
And when you report these symptoms to the service center, they hook up a PWIS, report no fault codes and evaporator temperature cycling between 2.5 and 4 C, per spec. I'm just going to have to wait for the sensor or control head to fail outright so that it can be replaced. Fortunately it doesn't happen often, only whenever it is hot and humid
Old 06-02-2015, 01:27 AM
clorigo
Instructor

FWIW I had the same problem - dealer said it was delivered low on freon and added some to bring it to the proper pressure.

It happened twice after about an hour of driving in hot / humid Weather. Since the fix I have not driven the car for the same length of time. I a, sure I will and I will report back.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:08 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by clorigo
FWIW I had the same problem - dealer said it was delivered low on freon and added some to bring it to the proper pressure.

It happened twice after about an hour of driving in hot / humid Weather. Since the fix I have not driven the car for the same length of time. I a, sure I will and I will report back.
This would be my first thought as well -- either the system was never fully charged or there is a leak somewhere. If the pressure in the system is too low, when the refrigerant expands in the evaporator it happens too rapidly and it ices up. This really should be an easy thing for a tech to find and fix.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:41 PM
scbryan
1st Gear

I am having the same evaporator freeze up issue.. rough day when temps are 100+
Old 07-08-2015, 08:23 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

This problem is occurring on my wife's Macan S. It has happened on three occasions. She brought the car into the dealer who scanned the diagnostics. They told her that Porsche is aware of this problem but has not figured out a solution at this time. She is now on a future recall list for when (HOPEFULLY) they come up with a solution. They suggested turning off the system for a few minutes when it occurs.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:35 AM
clorigo
Instructor

You may want to ask to get the pollen filter replaced. After a year of use I bet it is somewhat more restrictive...
Old 08-05-2015, 11:10 PM
clorigo
Instructor

My sources say that there will be a software update to come...
Old 08-14-2015, 09:41 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Mine just had the update done today

Also waiting for a new driveshaft...tsb out to make the whine at 30 mph go away

Quick Reply: AC Evaporator Freeze Up