Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Porsche Connect for Macan?

Old 08-11-2014, 02:18 PM
kiya
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Connect for Macan?

I just got my 2014 C2 991 and realized they aren't Porsche Connect (iPhone app) compatible.. not a big deal, it's just a fun thing to have.
Ordered a Macan S a month ago and am reading on another forum about an owner using Porsche Connect on his Macan but i'm not finding anywhere that the Macan comes with this.
On the Porsche site it only states the Panamera comes compatible with Porsche Connect. Any insight?

http://www.porsche.com/international/carconnect/
Old 08-11-2014, 04:04 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

For US-spec cars, Porsche Car Connect is option code 7G9 and costs $420. You can't add it to the car after it's built, either. If you use the configurator, the option is under "Audio and Communications".

But be aware the purchase price is negligible compared to the cost of the wireless service required to use it. As I recall, the 3rd party that provides the connectivity to your car from your phone charges in the neighborhood of $50/month. That's $600/year, every year, for a feature you're going to use how often? It just didn't look like it did enough to justify that kind of ongoing expense for me.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:27 PM
kiya
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cviles
For US-spec cars, Porsche Car Connect is option code 7G9 and costs $420. You can't add it to the car after it's built, either. If you use the configurator, the option is under "Audio and Communications".

But be aware the purchase price is negligible compared to the cost of the wireless service required to use it. As I recall, the 3rd party that provides the connectivity to your car from your phone charges in the neighborhood of $50/month. That's $600/year, every year, for a feature you're going to use how often? It just didn't look like it did enough to justify that kind of ongoing expense for me.
Oh, screw that.. didn't realize it was $50 a month just to use it.
Used to have the same thing on a Cadillac and it was free and had the same functionality (even if you cancelled OnStar).
Old 08-11-2014, 08:04 PM
jcontardi
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

My salesman told me that it is ideal for the eHybrid models; not so valuable for other models. I did not order it on mine.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:09 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

Looks like Cobra may have revised their fee schedule. According to cobratelematics.com, the current schedule is:

Service 6 months 12 months 24 months
Porsche Vehicle Tracking Services (PVTS) 169 $ 269 $ 489 $
Remote Services 149 $ 249 $ 449 $
Bundle (PVTS+Remote Service) 179 $ 299 $ 539 $
E-Mobility Services 69 $ 119 $ 199 $

So it's still $300 if you bundle PVTS and remote services on a 12 month contract. Pretty steep after the 6 month grace period for something I don't have now and don't really see myself using.

The last line (E-Mobility Services) only applies to hybrids that already come with 5 years of service bundled into the price of the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche Connect for Macan?