Macan 2014-Current

Towing

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 09:22 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts
Default Towing

Has anyone towed a trailer with their Macan yet?

Sorry if this is an enzo.

I was looking at these yesterday and found that I was much more impressed than I thought I would be.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:31 PM
Rolltide86
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They lowered the tow rating after I ordered mine from over 5,000 lbs to 4,100 lbs (braked trailer - unbraked is much lower) which makes it incapable of towing my trailer with my car on it to the track.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:50 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Rolltide86
They lowered the tow rating after I ordered mine from over 5,000 lbs to 4,100 lbs (braked trailer - unbraked is much lower) which makes it incapable of towing my trailer with my car on it to the track.
Well, that answers that question - will need to look for a used Cayenne I guess.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:25 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought it was reduced to 4400 lbs (braked)?
Old 08-03-2014, 04:33 PM
Rolltide86
Rennlist Member

You are correct - 4,400. Still incapable of towing my lightweight aluminum trailer with my car on it.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:20 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Guys, I had my car in for a tech inspect at the Dealer (the head mechanic is a SpecBox racer and friend so I get to hang with him at the lift, etc., plus its free ). His PCNA Rep was there for Dealership Service Dept certification and hanging around. He had had a 6GT3 so we get talking....

I asked him whether the tow rating for Macan was changed/lowered and what it was now. He said it had not been. He said he recently fielded a call from another Dealership asking this same question. I advised him of the RL post on the subject. He commandeered Tom's computer, which has a direct technical link to PCNA, explaining all TSBs and any changes to specs/service on the model lineup are first set out there and made available across the Country, and showed me the tow rating which remained at 5K+ (cant recall the number - 5500? - only that it was over 5K lbs not 4K+). He did not know where the info re the lowered rating came from but speculated that it may have come from the use of the hidden Euro-hitch (a J shaped thing that comes from under the rear bumper and is a weak point apparently) - something not permitted/fitted out for our (NA) vehicles...

Now I don't know what is correct or right and am only posting what I was told FWIW to the Board.

I would suggest anyone interested request their Dealer verify the tow rating AND recommended tongue weight with PCNA directly pre-pruchase. Frankly, even with the 'original' tow rating, I would have some real concerns over tongue weight (a figure he could not produce in the limited time we had) esp towing a 911 iteration...so it could all be a moot point.

HTH some..
Old 08-04-2014, 11:20 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

Kind of hard to dispute what is posted on their own website and I believe in the vehicle manual s well.

Can someone confirm that's what the manual states?
Old 08-05-2014, 12:38 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

I don't have my Macan yet, but according to the manual you can see in the PCNA "Delivery" app on my iPad, page 336 of the manual says the braked towing capacity is 4409 lbs (2000 kgs). The unbraked capacity is 1653 lbs (750 kgs). The ratings are the same for the Macan S and Macan Turbo.

While you can get the hitch from the factory, I don't really consider the Macan to be much of a tow vehicle. I know I don't have any plans to use mine to haul anything except my own ample butt at very high speeds.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:48 PM
m453w
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitch marked with 4.4k lbs

Just took delivery of S with tow package. Hitch receiver is marked with the lower 4k rating - so it seems something beyond just documentation associated with the Euro hitch.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:44 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
Guys, I had my car in for a tech inspect at the Dealer (the head mechanic is a SpecBox racer and friend so I get to hang with him at the lift, etc., plus its free ). His PCNA Rep was there for Dealership Service Dept certification and hanging around. He had had a 6GT3 so we get talking....

I asked him whether the tow rating for Macan was changed/lowered and what it was now. He said it had not been. He said he recently fielded a call from another Dealership asking this same question. I advised him of the RL post on the subject. He commandeered Tom's computer, which has a direct technical link to PCNA, explaining all TSBs and any changes to specs/service on the model lineup are first set out there and made available across the Country, and showed me the tow rating which remained at 5K+ (cant recall the number - 5500? - only that it was over 5K lbs not 4K+). He did not know where the info re the lowered rating came from but speculated that it may have come from the use of the hidden Euro-hitch (a J shaped thing that comes from under the rear bumper and is a weak point apparently) - something not permitted/fitted out for our (NA) vehicles...

Now I don't know what is correct or right and am only posting what I was told FWIW to the Board.

I would suggest anyone interested request their Dealer verify the tow rating AND recommended tongue weight with PCNA directly pre-pruchase. Frankly, even with the 'original' tow rating, I would have some real concerns over tongue weight (a figure he could not produce in the limited time we had) esp towing a 911 iteration...so it could all be a moot point.

HTH some..
It WAS on Porsche USA's site about a month ago, it stated quite clearly that tow capacity was ~4400 lbs., now the tow specs are off the web site and they only show the "towbar specs", which is a GB/Euro feature. It appears either Porsche is rethinking the rated towing specs or someone mistakenly posted the ~4400 rating on the web site a month ago.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the owner's manual as they print those things long in advance and it's not uncommon for them to post TSB's updating manual info. I'm not saying the manuals are totally inaccurate just if there's a conflict between the TSB or manual I would go with the TSB.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:16 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts
Default braked vs unbraked

Just looking at the numbers, it seems the Macan tow ratings are brake limited. This is a bit sad considering that Porsche has been famous for big brakes for decades now. But they had to use that platform with its brake limitations...
Old 08-09-2014, 09:00 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 993BillW
It WAS on Porsche USA's site about a month ago, it stated quite clearly that tow capacity was ~4400 lbs., now the tow specs are off the web site and they only show the "towbar specs", which is a GB/Euro feature. It appears either Porsche is rethinking the rated towing specs or someone mistakenly posted the ~4400 rating on the web site a month ago.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the owner's manual as they print those things long in advance and it's not uncommon for them to post TSB's updating manual info. I'm not saying the manuals are totally inaccurate just if there's a conflict between the TSB or manual I would go with the TSB.
At a PCNA "Porsche Roadshow" Friday at NJMP with the PCNA/PSDS Instructors and all, to a man/women, swore the Macan tow specs were in the 5K+ range, lol.

Many I know from the PSDS at Barber from visits so they weren't just 'puffing'...

I am beginning to lose faith in Porsche...

Anyhoo, the car (a Macan Turbo) was a scream on the AutoX course! My wife is convinced... now if it could only tow my GT3

Old 08-09-2014, 09:51 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

3100lbs for a GT3 + under 1000 for a trailex. At least that's my plan.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:59 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ChrisF
3100lbs for a GT3 + under 1000 for a trailex. At least that's my plan.
Mmmmmhm.... no extra tires, jack, toolkit, winch, etc....

Therein lies the rub

Old 08-10-2014, 12:12 AM
zanwar
Pro

Track wheels and tools should fit in the trunk

Quick Reply: Towing