Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Macan Diesel USA estimated MPG

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 11:59 PM
Walt L
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Ditto on the Q5 TDI S-Line... fantastic torque!!!
Had ours almost a year now... could not wait for Porsche to get their act together with the diesel Macan.
That being said... when the diesel Macan comes out ....I will be looking at one!!!

Old 09-27-2014, 08:30 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Would be real curious to see the breakdown between gas, turbo and diesel sales for the Cayenne, maybe give us an idea what Porsche may see for the Macan.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:11 PM
amelen
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

The Macan Diesel already has ECU tuning out as well - which increases torque even more.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:30 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

The Macan S Diesel in Europe has a 258 hp 3.0 turbodiesel V6. The confusing Porsche website claims it consumes
11.8 - 6.7 liters/100 km urban
7.8 - 5.7 l/100 km highway
9.2 - 6.1 l/100 km in mixed driving.

Sounds like driving style has a huge effect on how much the turbo drinks. But to pick a number, the average of the mixed driving claim is 7.7 liters/100 km. According to Wolfram Alpha, this results in a mixed fuel economy of 31 miles/gallon.

For comparison, both the Macan S and Turbo gasoline models are rated at 17/23 mpg for an average in mixed driving of 20 miles/gallon.

It is surprising how poor is the fuel economy of the gasoline models. It would be nice to know if any of you disciplined drivers can achieve significantly better. I hope Porsche soon implements a proper version of the auto stop/start to improve urban fuel economy at least.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:40 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by roule

I hope Porsche soon implements a proper version of the auto stop/start to improve urban fuel economy at least.
I'm not sure what you mean by a proper version. I find the existing version too intrusive, and would prefer to have a 5 second delay before the engine is shut off.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:38 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
I'm not sure what you mean by a proper version. I find the existing version too intrusive, and would prefer to have a 5 second delay before the engine is shut off.
That's exactly what I mean. The user should have control, more than just the ability to turn the system on & off. And the system has to work smoothly. While the Germans on average are better than most, even some high end auto stop/start systems are just too clunky.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:07 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by roule
That's exactly what I mean. The user should have control, more than just the ability to turn the system on & off. And the system has to work smoothly. While the Germans on average are better than most, even some high end auto stop/start systems are just too clunky.
OK, I see. You indicated you wanted a proper version that would improve efficiency. If it was delayed or less intrusive like you and I would prefer, it would actually impair fuel efficiency a little. But on the other hand, I guess if we turn it off due to the intrusiveness, we are less inclined to turn it on again when it would be appropriate, such as at signal lights in urban environments.

Quick Reply: Macan Diesel USA estimated MPG