Macan Diesel USA estimated MPG

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 01:17 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by JEI-Porsche

I bought the 228d Xdrive wagon over a Macan Turbo and am loving it. In general I don't like BMWs but this car is great for what it is & wants to be; a very good looking (especially in the Mtrim), super fuel efficient, spacious, & relatively sporty wagon.
...I bought a new '13 Passat SEL TDi...my first VW ever and it is delivering consistently 42-45mpg (mostly highway) after 17 months and 44,000 miles. Been a great car...
I badly need a wagon to haul stuff and drove the 3-series diesel wagon but was not impressed at all.

I am really hoping that I can get a Macan Diesel soon and that it would hit get into the 35mpg+ (highway). Passat has been a pleasant surprise but darn boring car...
Old 07-20-2014, 04:02 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 956 Likes on 427 Posts

I routinely get 36mpg in my diesel Cayenne on the highway drive to work. Lovely vehicle, the diesel is just perfect for the Cayenne. Blasting around the back roads is for my 911.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:46 PM
Eurotrio
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Now I am really interested in the macan.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
That would likely mean late 2015 at the earliest. Not bad I guess.
on the ground in U.S. 1q 2016. don't ask- don't tell policy in effect.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:32 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer911
on the ground in U.S. 1q 2016. don't ask- don't tell policy in effect.
That's a long wait.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:20 AM
Enilder
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckfever
That's a long wait.
But worth the wait.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:35 AM
Buckfever
Racer

Originally Posted by Enilder
But worth the wait.
My indy was trying to talk me out of the Diesel last week and I was ignoring him so clearly it's what I want. Maybe they'll be the option to paint the rear spoiler body color by then. I didn't mind the October time frame as I figured I'd have half the money at the time of the order and have it covered by delivery. As things went I'm ready to order now, so delays are not appreciated.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Enilder
Instructor

My indy was trying to talk me out of the Diesel last week and I was ignoring him so clearly it's what I want. Maybe they'll be the option to paint the rear spoiler body color by then. I didn't mind the October time frame as I figured I'd have half the money at the time of the order and have it covered by delivery. As things went I'm ready to order now, so delays are not appreciated.
A slightly(?) more expensive option is always available and it looks great, Sport Design package.

I never owned a diesel vehicle and can't say much about it since I've never driven one but my sales rep has been pushing me for a diesel...
Old 08-09-2014, 01:41 PM
Pratfall
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Enilder
A slightly(?) more expensive option is always available and it looks great, Sport Design package.

I never owned a diesel vehicle and can't say much about it since I've never driven one but my sales rep has been pushing me for a diesel...
Fwiw, I have a Q5 TDI and the engine is a fantastic fit for the vehicle. V8 torque with hybrid mpg -- perfect for real world driving. The lack of high-revving oomph you get in the petrol models is basically irrelevant since no one drives an SUV like a Honda Civic Si anyway. Even if the diesel Macan is just an improved version of the Q5 diesel, it will be ideal at fulfilling the Macan's mission of combining some fun with everyday practicality.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:34 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Originally Posted by Pratfall
Fwiw, I have a Q5 TDI and the engine is a fantastic fit for the vehicle. V8 torque with hybrid mpg -- perfect for real world driving. The lack of high-revving oomph you get in the petrol models is basically irrelevant since no one drives an SUV like a Honda Civic Si anyway. Even if the diesel Macan is just an improved version of the Q5 diesel, it will be ideal at fulfilling the Macan's mission of combining some fun with everyday practicality.
That's precisely my thinking. Anyway the mpg #s on the S are coming in too weak for me so I got to wait. And I suspect if there is a base offering it won't be near as compelling as the Diesel.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:40 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's precisely my thinking. Anyway the mpg #s on the S are coming in too weak for me so I got to wait. And I suspect if there is a base offering it won't be near as compelling as the Diesel.
I concur. The diesel will be fantastic.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:30 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Was told today that there is a meeting in October, might get improved visibility on the diesel then.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:40 PM
perlfather
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tone
What's the best guess here? Seen estimates in Europe but hard to determine what US specs will be after imperial vs. US Gal & Euro vs. US mpg regulatory testing.
?
From the recent UK Autocar test they got 46.3mpg which if you divide by 1.2 (imp gallon vs. US gallon) should be about 38.6. Not too shabby. This looks like the identical engine we'll get here (same max torque, now in the various Audis and Cayene), except I am guessing perhaps the top RMP will be 4800 RPM instead of 4600 RPM - thus slightly higher hp (255 vs. 240) .
Old 08-19-2014, 05:07 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...and same engine as found in the VW Touareg. Would be great if it gets low 30s average. Real-world probably 28-31 average. Very popular engine and one reason why we do not have it here yet.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:14 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 880 Likes on 533 Posts

I too have a Q5 TDI S-line as I didn't want to wait for the diesel Macan. Had a Cayenne diesel last summer and was really impressed with it so I got the Q5 last fall. Love it and the torque is addicting. Never been below 30mpg combined except in the coldest parts of the Iowa winter.

In a year or so my son may be interested in buying my Q5 from me and then I would be interested in the Macan diesel, with air suspension etc. That's the only thing I wish the Q had, but the adjustable shocks on it do pretty well. Just wish it didn't sit so high, and I don't want to go to the expense to put on the euro springs.

Would think the Macan diesel would sell pretty well as I think the Cayenne diesel has done pretty well here.

Quick Reply: Macan Diesel USA estimated MPG