Macan 2014-Current

Macan vs. SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 10:20 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

One quick correction to the SQ5 information - the engine is a 3.0L V6 with a supercharger, not a turbo charger. It's a very powerful and responsive engine, and I think the SQ5 compares favorably to the Macan S in many ways.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:34 AM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for clarifying Dennis.

I test drove an SQ5 today. It's a 2014 CPO, 5k miles and I think I can get it at about $57k.

It was a much more involving drive than any other Q5 I've driven, but IMO not as sharp as the Macan. Traffic was ****e, so I'm going back tomorrow morning to drive it more extensively.

Alas, the Macan is just too compact for my needs, so I think I will probably get the SQ5. The other contender was a 2014 V6 Cayenne, which can be had, CPO, at an equal price. However, as comfortable and spacious as it is, the V6 Cayenne just doesn't excite the driver in me at all.

Vivian
Old 10-13-2014, 01:55 AM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

I bought the SQ5.

Thank you all for your input and guidance. Tomorrow I'll drive to my brother's house and we can do a little direct, back-to-back comparison.

Vivian.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:40 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

Make sure to set the drive control to "dynamic"! It still won't handle as well as the Macan, but I think it stacks up pretty well.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:40 PM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Make sure to set the drive control to "dynamic"! It still won't handle as well as the Macan, but I think it stacks up pretty well.
Will do, thanks. My wife drove it home from the dealership - she's chuffed with it and it will primarily be her vehicle.

Other than the test drive, I've yet to really get a proper go at it, but will be sure to set to dynamic. However, from the limited drive I had, I can already tell that the Macan is much more focused.

Vivian.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:32 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
ZF manufactures the transmissions but the design differs. The PDK used in the sports cars is a Weissach design manufactured by ZF. The Macan transmission is a VW design manufactured by ZF. It may be tweaked (mainly software) by Weissach but it is a DSG. Saying that, does not make it bad...

How do I know this? From someone who works with these transmissions.
The information I am working with is that the Macan Diesel transmission is the only one with the VW design since it is mated to a VW group engine. VW had already worked out the transmission parameters /software/ hardware stuff (ZF really) for this engine and Porsche is simply using that transmission. They can call it PDK instead of DSG but it is the same. It would also explain the "clunk" especially at low speeds that another poster mentioned. Typical of the DSG box.

From what I have come across is that the transmission for the Gas Macan S and Turbo since they are mated to the Porsche engines is designed (again ZF) a bit differently for these engines.

OTOH, you may be right if your source is impeccable.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:25 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Anyone have experience towing with the SQ5? Does it have the same capacity as the Macan? Thanks
Old 11-09-2014, 01:08 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't even bother with the SQ5. The power and 0-60 time advantage is negligible. Let's face it, 99.99% of the time we are not going to take off petal-to-metal. But the rest, the Macan outshines if you realize you're buying a 4-door - and I must say a very nimble - Porsche and not a traditional SUV. Oh and as great as handling is on the Macan, most of the ones test driven are not equipped with PTV, which is one of my additions to my build. Should be a fun car. I can't wait. I'm just bummed that my build date is in March

Last edited by Rubik; 11-09-2014 at 02:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Macan vs. SQ5