Macan 2014-Current

Another Macan problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 09:21 PM
Rolltide86
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another Macan problem

From Macan Forum - apparently the PDK is now causing issues - poster reported issue below and others are apparently experiencing the same thing - not sure if it is a common issue or just quality control on certain cars.

I picked up my Macan five days ago and started noticing a clunk when I came to a stop. Seemed to get worse each day, the clunk got more severe, to where I felt I shouldn't drive it. Took it back to the dealer and they contacted Porsche, thinking maybe it was a software issue. Porsche has decided to send a new transmission and study what was wrong with mine. I am sure that they will figure it out. Anyone else experiencing that clunk?
Old 06-17-2014, 09:50 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

I saw the same post, and I'm not sure what to make of it yet. There really aren't that many examples on the road yet to know if the Macan is going to have a lot of first-year problems. I haven't seen a lot of PDK failures on other models, but then I haven't been looking for them either.

PCNA has always been good to me about covering failures, even giving me a goodwill fix after the warranty expired on my 911. I'm sure they'll do what's necessary to make things right if I have problems when mine shows up in a few months.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:00 PM
Rolltide86
Rennlist Member

I have an official complaint into PCNA regarding my Macan (non) delivery. If they don't address it appropriately, I will be very displeased.

With regard to the Macan, Porsche is very disorganized, and has alienated long-time customers.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:01 PM
Rolltide86
Rennlist Member

And….I have learned a lesson. Never, Never, Never custom order a Porsche.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:14 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rolltide86
I custom ordered my 911 and it was one of the best experiences I've ever had buying a car. No delays, no mistakes and I got exactly what I wanted.

I know Porsche has had some supplier problems with panoramic roof and the high-gloss trim pieces, but I thought those were sorted out by now? We'll see; my build has both of those and my order should lock in about three weeks. I'll bug my SA after that happens and see if my build date slips like yours has. If it gets pushed back as far as yours has, I'll lean on PCNA to at least let me change my order to add a few items that aren't available yet.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:25 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Another thing that just struck me is: This is Porsche's first new vehicle launched since they came under the VW umbrella, isn't it? I know there are a lot more Audi parts in the Macan than in previous Porsches. Perhaps the problems come from friction introduced by bringing them into the VW supply chain for a lot more parts?
Old 06-18-2014, 03:52 AM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ Chris - we custom ordered our Cayenne, and it too was the best new car experience I have ever had.

Hope Porsche gets things sorted for all the Macan orders.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:05 AM
fincher
Racer

Originally Posted by cviles
Perhaps the problems come from friction introduced by bringing them into the VW supply chain for a lot more parts?
Nah. The Cayenne shares a lot of hidden stuff with the Touareg and Q7. And then there's a much longer history of shared parts/platform. I think it's simply because it's new and it's in demand.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:25 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how is the PDK unique to the Macan? It seems like software just like the 09 911

Last edited by kosmo; 06-18-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:33 AM
Don McK
Track Day

I experienced more of a "clank" as I came off the throttle during a test drive last month. It seemed to occur after a brief burst of moderate acceleration, followed by a quick lift off the throttle.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:56 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,360 Posts

Originally Posted by cviles
I custom ordered my 911 and it was one of the best experiences I've ever had buying a car. No delays, no mistakes and I got exactly what I wanted.

I know Porsche has had some supplier problems with panoramic roof and the high-gloss trim pieces, but I thought those were sorted out by now? We'll see; my build has both of those and my order should lock in about three weeks. I'll bug my SA after that happens and see if my build date slips like yours has. If it gets pushed back as far as yours has, I'll lean on PCNA to at least let me change my order to add a few items that aren't available yet.
+1
Old 06-18-2014, 05:20 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fincher
Nah. The Cayenne shares a lot of hidden stuff with the Touareg and Q7. And then there's a much longer history of shared parts/platform. I think it's simply because it's new and it's in demand.
I know Porsche and VW have a long history of sharing platforms and parts, but this is the first vehicle where VW is in the driver's seat and can dictate how things must be done. Before, it was more of a you do it your way, we'll do our own thing kind of relationship. Now that VW owns Porsche, they are in a position to mandate the terms of their relationship.

When I said I thought there was some friction, I was referring to egos just as much as manufacturing processes.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:59 PM
fincher
Racer

Well, from I've read VW does not call the shots with Porsche. VW basically saved Porsche after Porsche got burned trying to take over VW and part of the deal was allowing Porsche to continue it manufacturing and design...or something along those lines.

To me, this is launch hiccups and typical of a new model. No more. No less.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:04 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I doubt that VW will interfere too much with Porsche, since Porsche has the highest margins and contributes hugely to VW's bottom line to the tune of an average of $23,000 per sale.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:46 PM
SeaPors
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rolltide86
Sorry if this has already been asked in this or your other posts but any indication if there is shortage or delays in the new Palladium paint, agate interior or other parts of your order? Seems like other shortages have been the cause of a number of delays in deliveries. In any event you're entitled to know so you can figure out how long to wait.

I put a deposit on my Macan Turbo in November last year. I got lucky and all went like clockwork and then it arrived two days early in May. I have a pretty common build though (agate/black) so must have missed the shortages on a few things.

Quick Reply: Another Macan problem