Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 06:11 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
Imperial gallon = 1.201 US gallon.
Where do u find gasoline without ethanol? Should get near 1 mpg better without ethanol additive, wouldn't u say?
Shell V-Power premium has no Ethanol in it.
At least in Canada
Old 12-26-2021, 10:16 AM
jesseleeweaver
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Just bought my Macan turbo (2015 and added tune+exhaust) a few months ago. First road trip. Solid MPG, nothing heavy on the gas. in city 21-23 easy. If i Push anything, it's like 16-19.

Old 12-26-2021, 11:50 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

This makes me extra-glad that I bought the base Macan, because I get 21-23 mpg city, and 28 mpg highway... There's no way that any S or Turbo beats the base for city driving, in any aspect of driving...
Old 12-27-2021, 01:10 AM
Faust T.
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

while the gas mileage is the one thing that I hate the most about my Macan S,
I spent a fair share of time in the base Macan in the form of loaner, none of them has over 1000 on the clock, one of them is even brand new,
and there's absolutely no way I'll take the base over the S, I'd gladly eat the cost different on fuel.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...one-wrong.html
Old 12-27-2021, 12:43 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Faust T.
while the gas mileage is the one thing that I hate the most about my Macan S,
I spent a fair share of time in the base Macan in the form of loaner, none of them has over 1000 on the clock, one of them is even brand new,
and there's absolutely no way I'll take the base over the S, I'd gladly eat the cost different on fuel.
Lots of different views. I thought the same for 1-2 years doing research on which Macan to buy, and for the longest time I refused to even consider the base Macan (was planning on getting a Macan S for well over a year) before ordering my 2019 base Macan. I test-drove a bunch of base, Sport, and S Macans over 1-2 years and decided that the S didn't have as much more power over the base that the extra price warranted, together with the decreased gas mileage. I was jaded by owning another Porsche with 455 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque (also a V6 engine), and the Macan S just didn't rise enough above the base Macan in my eyes. The computers in these cars do adjust to your driving, and I am pretty quick from stop in my base Macan and the computer knows that, so my acceleration speed is pretty good; in loaner Macans with low mileage, I have also noticed that they lack the spunk of my "trained" base Macan, and I can see why some people would not be impressed as much. For what I got in my base Macan, I feel that it's by far the best value of any Porsche on the market.

Last edited by cometguy; 12-27-2021 at 12:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PJ Cayenne (12-27-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 01:24 PM
Grey Coupe
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Around here, a hunt can produce non-ethanol 93 octane.

I just like leaving the alcohol out of it for my engines. Hope this is useful in Canada and US...

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NC
Old 12-27-2021, 03:08 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
Lots of different views. I thought the same for 1-2 years doing research on which Macan to buy, and for the longest time I refused to even consider the base Macan (was planning on getting a Macan S for well over a year) before ordering my 2019 base Macan. I test-drove a bunch of base, Sport, and S Macans over 1-2 years and decided that the S didn't have as much more power over the base that the extra price warranted, together with the decreased gas mileage. I was jaded by owning another Porsche with 455 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque (also a V6 engine), and the Macan S just didn't rise enough above the base Macan in my eyes. The computers in these cars do adjust to your driving, and I am pretty quick from stop in my base Macan and the computer knows that, so my acceleration speed is pretty good; in loaner Macans with low mileage, I have also noticed that they lack the spunk of my "trained" base Macan, and I can see why some people would not be impressed as much. For what I got in my base Macan, I feel that it's by far the best value of any Porsche on the market.
It is really about expectations and what you can expect from a small SUV/tall sedan. 0-60 isn't the end all for this car and I've found that in my crowded metro region, you rarely get an opportunity to use even the power of the base engine. Our base is the 2018 SE, and it is loaded with options from air suspension to sport exhaust.
By the way, the base does 0-60 mph in under 6.5 seconds, hardly slow for it's class.
Old 12-27-2021, 03:25 PM
Grey Coupe
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I will be coming out of a 2020 Cayenne into a new 22 Macan S. Reading along here suggests that the 18/26 mpg my base Cayenne averages is better than some Macans. We don't flog it, but we wind it now and then.

Hard to imagine.
Old 12-27-2021, 03:37 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GTF
Took a 320 mile day trip (about 90% hwy) w/four adults. Hwy @ 75-80 mph with tooling around shopping centers/restaurants. 24.2 mpg. Turned 1,000 miles, and total around 23 mpg....VERY pleased. I think the 17-23 EPA for the S is way conservative. I'm using 93, ethanol-free, which helps...and trying to be a good boy during break-in.
Yeah, seeing very much the same thing. Now up to 8000 miles on our S and MPG had steadily improved up to around 1000 - 1500 miles but seems to have leveled out now, though suspect that this is because we are much more used to it and use its 'potential' more. Overall though, I am really impressed. Around town isnt great, but it is a larger (and heavy) car with a V6 and 4WD, so what do you expect? I tend not to look at the gauge for MPG, and look at the distance on a tank to get a broader number. Around town and average driving we get around 365 miles on a tank, which is OK. On a steady drive, we have seen that increase massively up to 450 or more. It really does like more consistent speeds! On a mixed drive though, so some city and some highway (well 65 MPH roads), we get a pretty consistent 24-25MPG though. Coming from a C63S, its a major step up!
Old 12-27-2021, 05:45 PM
jesseleeweaver
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

This makes me extra-glad that I bought the base Macan, because I get 21-23 mpg city, and 28 mpg highway... There's no way that any S or Turbo beats the base for city driving, in any aspect of driving...
I don't know. I do love the power aspect of the tuned turbo. However, I drive slow on very long trips. Around town, it's nice to hit boost!
I did test drive the macan base, S, and this. All are amazing cars, but I got a killer deal on this turbo.
Old 12-27-2021, 07:29 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 95 Posts

18 combined and 22-23 speeding between 65-85mph on interstate.
Old 12-27-2021, 08:09 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,781 Likes on 1,705 Posts

I've had my Turbo PP about a month and have done two road trips. My findings and observations:

On a 5hr trip:
To: I did 3hrs and 15mins driving aggressively on sport+ and I got 320km to the tank. I got it up to 258km/hr
From: I did 3hrs and 45mins driving fast but not quite as aggressively and on normal mode and got 400km to the tank

In the city:
280km to the tank driving exclusively in sport+
450km to the tank driving exclusively in normal mode

The effect of sport+ is truly detrimental for gas milage, especially in city traffic. Will be getting a Pedal Commander to get some of the sport+ feel without the impact on MPG. Ultimately MPG is not a priority but there's no need to be wasteful.

Last edited by Wilder; 12-27-2021 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-28-2021, 03:27 PM
Faust T.
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree on the power, the base Macan shows no sign of weakness within speed limit (PDK is one legendary gear box),
it get off the line fairly quick and handling is even better without the weight of a big V6 in front, I'd say it's adequate for 90% of people,
It's only when you put the foot down at speed above 75 then it starting to struggles even without load or passenger.

My main problems with the 2.0T are the following, mind you I encounter the same issues on every base Macan, even a brand new one with 14 miles on the clock, so it's not likely that I got a defective one.

1. Engine vibration, the 2.0T has a very noticeable vibration at a wide range of gear & RPM combination, mainly when it accelerate from a complete stop, or when it kickdown,
it's so severe that seomtimes it could drone the whole cabin, this maybe acceptable on an entry level SUV but certainly not a luxury brand like Porsche.
My GF's Tiguan has the same or similar 2.0T engine and it's not nearly as bad, perhaps it's the stiffer engine mounts?

2. Exhaust noise, some engine makes sound, some engine makes noise, and the 2.0T can only be best describe as the later one,
it's not a pleasant exhaust note and it doesn't add anything to the driving experience.

Regarding the price, sure, the S model carries a premium, but as you're aware Porsche does tier pricing for options (same option is cheaper on higher trim level than base model),
so once you added all the options that you do want on a Porsche, the gap isn't that huge anymore, and you'll certainly get a portion of it back in the form of resale value.
The V6 is so much smoother and sounds lightyears better even with the standard exhaust it's almost a no brainer, honestly if anyone of my friends is considering a base Macan I'll suggest them to get an AUDI SQ5 with the same budget.
Will I pay 15-20% more on the pump for a better driving experience? Absolutely.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:56 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 227 Posts

'19S: Just finished a 2000 mile round trip to Texas. Averaged 24-25 mpg on the interstate doing 80 with a Porsche car top on. Normal mode selected. Normally will get about 1 mpg more so the car top's drag robbed us a bit.

Quick Reply: Gas mileage