Order Placed - Macan S

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 03:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,433 Likes on 2,244 Posts

Originally Posted by sebis
Here is an update on my order:

1. DO NOT GET Sports Chrono unless you plan to take it to the track or plan on racing at the stop lights and need the Launch Control ... If you don't believe me go drive for yourself. Actually, even if you do believe me you should go and ask the salesman to let you drive a car with Sports Chrono and turn it on and off, you cannot use it on the street unless you are racing which of course it is illegal, dangerous, etc. I did remove it from my order and I recognize I was wrong by even considering it and sometimes advocating for it. This was an eye opening experience for me, I drove a Cayman S and I could not keep it in Sports Chrono more than 15 seconds on the street, it was taking the engine to maximum revs and unless you stayed on the gas, it was a unpleasant experience. Sport mode on the other hand was beautiful. I believe Sport Chrono is needed for PDK cars that don't have the Sport mode standard, but since the Macan does have it, save your money. In the US we get the dash clock standard and even if not in the US, you can get the compass for much less money if you must have the wart.
So let me ask you this, did you 'manually' shift while in sport+ or were you letting the PDK shift? I'm just curious about the effect of the other parameters that Sport+ changes in addition to the shift points, e.g: the throttle map and suspension settings? - would those be worth it if you were paddle shifting manually?

If you think about it, really all the Sport+ is doing (wrt to the shifting) is *probably* what you would do if you were driving a manual transmission aggressively, i.e using the full rev range before upshift to the next higher gear.

Probably the single thing I LOATHE about my X5 is the STEPTRONIC transmission which in "D" shifts around 2-2.5k and in "DS" shifts about 2.5-3k turning the 440bhp 4.4L TT engine into an outboard motor on a small boat, you have to go to manual shifting via the stick or paddles to get it to behave like a real transmission.

2. PTV+, I can feel it with my driving style. I agree it is not a must have, BUT, I like how it makes the car more nimble thus I added it to the order. Here is the background, I drove two Panamera Executive editions, one Turbo and a Turbo S. As you could guess, Turbo S has it standard. These Panameras are huge and heavy, when driving the regular Turbo, I could feel the size and heft of the car. I took some turns on a windy road and definitely felt the understeer and had to brake early. I switched then to the Turbo S, even when simply turning at low speed, I could "feel" the car differently than the Turbo, it was more nimble, didn't feel as heavy. In addition, when getting to the exact same road, I could drive faster in the same turns without a hint of understeer, I found myself driving faster in the same turns without even intending to do so. So, to recap, for MY needs, a must have, but if you drive like grandma save your money for full leather or something . For your reference, the Panamera Turbo S Executive has a length of 203.35 in. and weights 4586 lb.

In conclusion, you should always test drive when considering these kind of options and I should have done this two months ago. So for me, AS and PTV+ in the final order.

I also added the High Gloss Black Trim back to my order.
I think the high gloss trim (exterior and interior) are must haves
Old 03-14-2014, 03:48 PM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
So let me ask you this, did you 'manually' shift while in sport+ or were you letting the PDK shift? I'm just curious about the effect of the other parameters that Sport+ changes in addition to the shift points, e.g: the throttle map and suspension settings? - would those be worth it if you were paddle shifting manually?

If you think about it, really all the Sport+ is doing (wrt to the shifting) is *probably* what you would do if you were driving a manual transmission aggressively, i.e using the full rev range before upshift to the next higher gear.

Probably the single thing I LOATHE about my X5 is the STEPTRONIC transmission which in "D" shifts around 2-2.5k and in "DS" shifts about 2.5-3k turning the 440bhp 4.4L TT engine into an outboard motor on a small boat, you have to go to manual shifting via the stick or paddles to get it to behave like a real transmission.
I could not do any that, the moment I turned on Sport+ the engine revved to the red line, period. I don't see how this is usable on the street unless racing from the light. I tried a second time when starting from a full stop, again went to the red line and I let of the accelerator instinctively but the engine stayed in gear and revved, not a pleasant experience.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I could not do any that, the moment I turned on Sport+ the engine revved to the red line, period. I don't see how this is usable on the street unless racing from the light. I tried a second time when starting from a full stop, again went to the red line and I let of the accelerator instinctively but the engine stayed in gear and revved, not a pleasant experience.
???
Old 03-14-2014, 06:58 PM
sebis
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
???
What I am saying not for my driving style. Maybe others can use it on the street but I have read from others how they never use Sport+ ever thus I don't think I can justify the extra ~$1,300. I am sure Sport mode it is going to be a blast to drive and if I ever need to I can use Manual mode while in Sport.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

What I am saying not for my driving style. Maybe others can use it on the street but I have read from others how they never use Sport+ ever thus I don't think I can justify the extra ~$1,300. I am sure Sport mode it is going to be a blast to drive and if I ever need to I can use Manual mode while in Sport.
gotcha, sounds reasonable... I think I will probably order SC on my car, but I would use it in conjunction with manual mode to select gears anyway so it would
be less of an issue than letting the PDK keep the car in a lower gear/higher rpm all the time...

All of this stuff is SO subjective that there is no absolute right or wrong ... although it sounds as though PTV+ is a real benefit to handling ...

enjoy!
Old 03-18-2014, 09:42 PM
sebis
Racer

Today I got the updated order confirmed with a new commission number. Here is the final order:

Base price $49,900.00
Destination charge $995.00
Infotainment package PJ1 $2,990.00
Premium Package PJ2 $2,590.00
Exterior color: Rhodium Silver Metallic S2 $690.00
Leather Package in Black VF $1,740.00
Exterior Package in Black (High-Gloss) QJ4 $230.00
Automatically Dimming Mirrors PA2 $0.00
ParkAssist (Front and Rear) incl. Reversing Camera 7X8 $0.00
Air Suspension incl. Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) 1BK $2,745.00
Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus) 1Y1 $1,490.00
20" RS Spyder Design Wheels CY3 $1,650.00
Summer Tires for 20" Alloy Wheels H6K $0.00
Seat Belts in Carrera Red FI2 $500.00
Smoking Package 9JB $0.00
Sunblind for Rear Side Windows 3Y4 $250.00
3-Zone Climate Control 9AQ $510.00
Seat Ventilation (Front) 4D3 $660.00
Lane Change Assist (LCA) 7Y1 $690.00
Adaptive Sport Seats (18-way) with Memory Package PE6 $1,710.00

Total $69,340.00

So I swapped out Sports Chrono, replaced it with PTV+ and added back the high-gloss tim. New delivery date is July 4.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:58 PM
edgy
Banned

Nice build mate, Glad you added the gloss black trim again! It will look the business that is for sure!
Old 03-18-2014, 10:22 PM
jcontardi
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice config! I was trying to hold the price down a bit for mine. I placed my order in early January and have a 5/23 delivery date. This is my config:
Macan S

$49,900

Packages

Infotainment Package
PJ1
$2,990

Exterior Color

White
0Q

$0

Interior Color

Standard Interior in Black
VC
$0

Exterior

ParkAssist (Front and Rear) incl. Reversing Camera
7X8
$1,460
Trailer Hitch without Tow Ball
1D6
$650
Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
8EA
$720

Performance

Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
1BH
$1,360
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
G1D
$0

Wheels

21" 911 Turbo Design Wheels
C7T
$3,300

Interior

Seat Heating (Front)
4A3
$525
Power Seats (8-way) with Memory Package
Q1G
$0
Steering Wheel Heating
2ZH

$250

Audio and Communications

BOSE® Surround Sound System
9VL
$1,400

Total Price*
Old 03-18-2014, 11:36 PM
sebis
Racer

Originally Posted by edgy
Nice build mate, Glad you added the gloss black trim again! It will look the business that is for sure!
Thanks
Old 03-18-2014, 11:56 PM
sebis
Racer

Originally Posted by jcontardi
Nice config! I was trying to hold the price down a bit for mine. I placed my order in early January and have a 5/23 delivery date. This is my config:
Macan S
Trailer Hitch without Tow Ball
Nice, curious to see how it looks with the towing bar, post some pictures when you get it. The great thing about the Macan is that you can order it according to your liking, and while Porsche offers a good deal on packages it is not forcing you to get it unlike other makes.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:50 AM
kgclark
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is an update on my order:

1. DO NOT GET Sports Chrono unless you plan to take it to the track or plan on racing at the stop lights and need the Launch Control ... If you don't believe me go drive for yourself. Actually, even if you do believe me you should go and ask the salesman to let you drive a car with Sports Chrono and turn it on and off, you cannot use it on the street unless you are racing which of course it is illegal, dangerous, etc. I did remove it from my order and I recognize I was wrong by even considering it and sometimes advocating for it. This was an eye opening experience for me, I drove a Cayman S and I could not keep it in Sports Chrono more than 15 seconds on the street, it was taking the engine to maximum revs and unless you stayed on the gas, it was a unpleasant experience. Sport mode on the other hand was beautiful. I believe Sport Chrono is needed for PDK cars that don't have the Sport mode standard, but since the Macan does have it, save your money. In the US we get the dash clock standard and even if not in the US, you can get the compass for much less money if you must have the wart.
I'm sorry, but this is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this forum. I've had Sports Chrono on both my current and previous Porsches (Pan and Cay), and consider it to be the single-most important option on the list. I've never even used launch control, but I find that I drive most of the time in Sport Plus mode and feel that it gives the car a completely different and more aggressive character - much different than regular Sports mode. To imply that the option is dangerous and irresponsible is simply misleading.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:04 AM
sebis
Racer

Originally Posted by kgclark
I'm sorry, but this is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this forum. I've had Sports Chrono on both my current and previous Porsches (Pan and Cay), and consider it to be the single-most important option on the list. I've never even used launch control, but I find that I drive most of the time in Sport Plus mode and feel that it gives the car a completely different and more aggressive character - much different than regular Sports mode. To imply that the option is dangerous and irresponsible is simply misleading.
I was referring to auto mode, if you can drive it in auto mode in Sport + good for you, IMHO it is not for the street.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:34 AM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

" Sport mode on the other hand was beautiful." I liked your description of the PTV, could you elaborate on this a bit? Thanks.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:10 PM
sebis
Racer

Originally Posted by Buckfever
" Sport mode on the other hand was beautiful." I liked your description of the PTV, could you elaborate on this a bit? Thanks.
Not sure what I can add, maybe this:

When I got on the driver seat on the first car, I did not pay attention to the car, salesman told me it is a Panamera Turbo without PTV+. So I drove off towards a winding two lane road. Before I got on that road had to navigate couple of streets with traffic and I kept it below 35 mph while taking few turns right and left. Right away while pulling out of the dealers lot, the car felt a little hefty and I was thinking in my mind: hmm..., this Panamera sure is not as nimble as I thought it would be based on the reviews I was reading. Once on the winding road I increased the speed to about 45 mph up to 50 on the straight lines. Had to brake early once since I could feel the car understeering due to tight turn I was taking.

So driving back to the dealer to swap the cars I told the salesman how the car felt heavy on those turns... THEN he tells me that this is the Panamera Turbo Executive Edition (read extra long and heavier) .

So now we swapped cars, this time I knew what I am driving , Panamera Turbo S Executive Edition (the same length as previous but few lb. heavier). Right out of the lot, at the first right turn the car felt different, it tucked its tail quite easy and I was surprised how different it was handling, again, at low speed below 35 mph. So we are getting back to he same exact road taking the same exact turns and I was trying to keep the same pace/speed. Without noticing I was driving faster on the same turns while feeling that it could go even faster... no more understeer and didn't have to brake unexpectedly like before. I didn't do any measurements of course but I think I drove about 5 to 10 mph faster on the same road. Bottom line, after this experience I decided that PTV+ it is a must for my driving style and changed the order to include PTV+.

Full disclosure: Panamera Turbo S includes PDCC standard along with PTV+. However, given that I kept it in Normal the whole time and the handling was noticeable different at lower speeds, I think PTV+ was a significant part of the difference in handling.

This is my story and I am sticking with it .

Last edited by sebis; 03-20-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:23 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I meant could you elaborate on "sport mode was beautiful" comment.

Quick Reply: Order Placed - Macan S