Macan 2014-Current

Stainless steel skid plates

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 09:51 PM
route66
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless steel skid plates

Hello, I ordered an Macan turbo black, i just woundering if i should put the stainless steel skid plates , i dont like it in the rear but in the front im not sure. thanks for your opinion.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:44 PM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure they are real skid plates and not just bumper dressing like it is on my ML? I think they look gorgeous on Black but they are expensive and add weight to the car.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:46 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In practical terms, I think skid plates are a purely cosmetic option; I don't imagine that many of these Macans will ever find themselves "off road." If you agree that it is all about the look, then no one can answer the question but you. You already said you don't like the rear skid plate, and you are not sure about the front. This is your car...order what you want and like.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:12 AM
GM Austin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I skipped the skid plate option on the theory that they would be similar to the Cayenne front skid plate, which is cosmetic only. I bought and installed the Cayenne skid plate and can tell you it was nothing but thin stainless steel sheet metal. Not really any significant protection beyond the stock plastic piece. It did look good though! The Cayenne rocker skid plates were a completely different story. Those were in fact very thick (1/4" I think) aluminum and did offer significant protection to the rocker area.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:02 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the rear "skid" plate is not compatible w/ a tow package.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,433 Likes on 2,244 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer911
In practical terms, I think skid plates are a purely cosmetic option; I don't imagine that many of these Macans will ever find themselves "off road." If you agree that it is all about the look, then no one can answer the question but you. You already said you don't like the rear skid plate, and you are not sure about the front. This is your car...order what you want and like.
+1
Old 02-04-2014, 11:27 PM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
the rear "skid" plate is not compatible w/ a tow package.
That's the issue. I don't plan to do any off-roading, but really like the look of the skid plates. However, I do bike on occasion, and it'd be great to have the capability of carrying my bike (outside the car). I'll most probably not order the skid plates. I assume I'd be able to retrofit them at a later date, if I ever want to?
Old 02-07-2014, 08:32 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Paying for skid plates that won't ever be used to protect the vehicle makes about as much sense as taping $710 in hamiltons across the front bumper. In effect, that's exactly what automotive fashion accessories do -- advertise to the world you're a bit too loose with your money.

Put $710 into a driver's school or track time instead.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,433 Likes on 2,244 Posts

Originally Posted by roule
Paying for skid plates that won't ever be used to protect the vehicle makes about as much sense as taping $710 in hamiltons across the front bumper. In effect, that's exactly what automotive fashion accessories do -- advertise to the world you're a bit too loose with your money.

Put $710 into a driver's school or track time instead.
+1 same for the CF side blades too...
Old 03-29-2014, 03:01 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

non functional skid plates on speed focused SUV is just wrong IMO.

Real skid plates on something with an offroad theme makes sense. Like a jeep trail hawk or a land rover with a winch etc...

Quick Reply: Stainless steel skid plates