Macan 2014-Current

Macan is a rally car disguised as an SUV

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 11:20 PM
window2time
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Macan is a rally car disguised as an SUV

Ok, am I the only one who thinks the Macan has rally car tendencies? Sure it is not a rally car, I am just positing the notion that it more closely shares attributes one might normally associate with a rally car than with the typical SUV.

My Wife and I made the trip from Portland OR to LA last weekend to see the Macan and we were a little surprised seeing it in person. It is a smaller vehicle than I expected it to be and sitting in it, it felt more like a car than an SUV. I expected it to be like a slightly shrunken Cayenne, but it didn't feel like that to me. Don't get me wrong, I really liked it and I placed my order for a Macan Turbo today and paid my deposit. But the car is different than I expected it to be. Sitting in it, it feels much more like a car to me than an SUV. I spent 2+ hours in the Macan booth and went back and forth dozens of times between the Macan and the Cayenne that was sitting close by. Each time I was struck by the car-like impression I got from the Macan.

At some point I started to think of the Macan as part sports car both in size and intent. Instead of an SUV that engineers tried to apply sporting capabilities to, the Macan strikes me as being part sports car that has been expanded and reconfigured for light off-road use with some added space and size.

Yes, it is small and yes you will still fit in it. In my hours spent in this booth, I overheard the reactions of dozens of other people seeing it for the first time. Most liked it, but some didn't. Some exclaimed how much room there was in the trunk and others gasped at how small it was. I am 6'1" and I fit fine in the car. Another gentleman who was also spending a lot of time in the booth pouring over every detail of the car is 6'4" and was carefully evaluating the size of the car. He sat in the driver's seat and adjusted it for a normal driving position and then he moved to the back seat sitting directly behind the driver's seat. It looked to me like he fit fine in both seats and he did report to me that he felt that the car was a good fit for him and accommodated his height well. However, I saw much smaller and shorter people sit in the car and exclaim how limited the leg room was. I actually believe that the car has plenty of room for anyone up to at least 6'4"; however, the interior gives me the impression of a small car and it isn't as roomy as the Cayenne or other full-size SUVs. I would compare it to riding in a 3 series BMW--plenty of leg room and it is comfortable but you are always aware of the compact space. The Macan is I think somewhat larger than this, but it leaves me with very much the same impression.

Overall, my Wife and I really liked the car and are excited about placing our order today. Below are a few photos I took at the show.

Last edited by window2time; 12-01-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:42 PM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing and welcome . I hope your assesment is right, we'll have to wait for the first driving impressions to see if it drives more like a car than an SUV or CUV.

My only concern is the weight but we shall see.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:33 AM
RareAir
Instructor

Thanks for posting your impressions based on your time at the LA show.

Just for grins I compared the online official specs for the Macan vs. the same for the BMW 3-series sport wagon. Between those two models, wheelbase is within 1 inch and overall body length is within 2 inches. The Macan body width is 5" more than than the Bimmer, and naturally the Macan is around 6" taller.

I'm not sure if those specs qualify as a rally car, but this is certainly no SUV.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:46 AM
window2time
6th Gear

That is interesting that the dimensions are so similar to the 3 series wagon. And yes, I know that I am stretching things a lot to make any connection to a rally car. Yet...all wheel drive riding on ride-height adjustable air suspension with 400bhp...I am just sayin
Old 12-02-2013, 01:34 AM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Thank you for sharing the experience and the photos.

If it hadn't been for work commitments, I would have been in LA to see the Macan in person.

Looking forward to seeing it.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:43 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

i can see where one would think rally hatchback looking at this vehicle.

the turbo with PDK will feel like a sequential rally car when taking off with launch mode

I still feel it is a Q5 hot rodded.

Im really looking forward to hearing reviews.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:19 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 198 Posts

Thanks for sharing your impressions. Wish I was able to make it to the autoshow to check out the Macan in the flesh.

I'm tempted to place an order, but think I may need to see/drive it first. I'm sure the drive will be great, but coming from the 958, not certain I want to go smaller. Really looking forward to these things hitting the lots in a few months.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:38 AM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 926 Likes on 431 Posts

I'm also waiting to see one in person before placing an order. Plus I want to see if they come out with a convertible version for $10k less.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:37 PM
pmt
Advanced

Originally Posted by window2time
Ok, am I the only one who thinks the Macan has rally car tendencies? Sure it is not a rally car, I am just positing the notion that it more closely shares attributes one might normally associate with a rally car than with the typical SUV.

My Wife and I made the trip from Portland OR to LA last weekend to see the Macan and we were a little surprised seeing it in person. It is a smaller vehicle than I expected it to be and sitting in it, it felt more like a car than an SUV. I expected it to be like a slightly shrunken Cayenne, but it didn't feel like that to me. Don't get me wrong, I really liked it and I placed my order for a Macan Turbo today and paid my deposit. But the car is different than I expected it to be. Sitting in it, it feels much more like a car to me than an SUV. I spent 2+ hours in the Macan booth and went back and forth dozens of times between the Macan and the Cayenne that was sitting close by. Each time I was struck by the car-like impression I got from the Macan.

At some point I started to think of the Macan as part sports car both in size and intent. Instead of an SUV that engineers tried to apply sporting capabilities to, the Macan strikes me as being part sports car that has been expanded and reconfigured for light off-road use with some added space and size.

Yes, it is small and yes you will still fit in it. In my hours spent in this booth, I overheard the reactions of dozens of other people seeing it for the first time. Most liked it, but some didn't. Some exclaimed how much room there was in the trunk and others gasped at how small it was. I am 6'1" and I fit fine in the car. Another gentleman who was also spending a lot of time in the booth pouring over every detail of the car is 6'4" and was carefully evaluating the size of the car. He sat in the driver's seat and adjusted it for a normal driving position and then he moved to the back seat sitting directly behind the driver's seat. It looked to me like he fit fine in both seats and he did report to me that he felt that the car was a good fit for him and accommodated his height well. However, I saw much smaller and shorter people sit in the car and exclaim how limited the leg room was. I actually believe that the car has plenty of room for anyone up to at least 6'4"; however, the interior gives me the impression of a small car and it isn't as roomy as the Cayenne or other full-size SUVs. I would compare it to riding in a 3 series BMW--plenty of leg room and it is comfortable but you are always aware of the compact space. The Macan is I think somewhat larger than this, but it leaves me with very much the same impression.

Overall, my Wife and I really liked the car and are excited about placing our order today. Below are a few photos I took at the show.
Thanks for your in-person review. My wife is absolutely sold on the car, and we've placed our order for the Turbo (without air suspension, but with PTV), build date March.

I agree the Macan Turbo being a potential rally car. I'm sure 550hp is easily doable for that engine, and the drivetrain/chassis reserve is certainly there without too much fuss either.

In the video of the official reveal at the LA show, my wife and I still remember the moment Maria Sharapova drove up - prior to her getting out of the car, you could clearly see that her 6' 4" frame still had some headroom as she sat in the driver seat. For all intents, the back seats and trunk space are perfect for our needs. Anything larger like the Cayenne would have been a deal-breaker.

We're looking forward to seeing the Macan in person at the Detroit Auto Show in six weeks time!
Old 12-02-2013, 04:54 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

x2 on the hopped up Q5
Still amazes me we accept 12-16 week delivery times?
As a young boy, I could never wait that long.
As an immature man, I could never wait that long.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Awesome write up, thanks! Confirms my suspicions about it.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 445 Posts

Porsche in the WRC?

Oh, please... Oh, please... Oh, please...
Old 12-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

two words - Paris - Dakar.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:57 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
two words - Paris - Dakar.
+ 1.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:51 PM
AlfonsoR
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by window2time

Beautiful pictures..

I don't know about rally car, but the Macan seems to have a certain zing to it. It's amazing that the styling is not all that different than the Cayenne, yet looks so much better, in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Macan is a rally car disguised as an SUV