Macan 2014-Current

Macan and Panamera engines

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 05:13 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
Why didnt P just use the Panny's engines? Im confused.
For the volume models - Macan S, diesel, and sure-to-come base Macan 2.0T - they are using existing Audi engines in the existing Audi chassis. The cheap and easy solution. Had to source the Porsche engine for the TT as the 3.0T is as powerful as the A4/Q5 gets.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:36 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

wait for the diesel?
Thats what I am planning, that or pick up a used Cayenne Diesel when prices come down.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:37 AM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
For the volume models - Macan S, diesel, and sure-to-come base Macan 2.0T - they are using existing Audi engines in the existing Audi chassis. The cheap and easy solution. Had to source the Porsche engine for the TT as the 3.0T is as powerful as the A4/Q5 gets.
You are wrong about the Macan S, it has a 3.0 twin turbo engine, the same as Panamera S but detuned. Audi has no such engine, their 3.0T is actually a superchrged engine.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sebis
You are wrong about the Macan S, it has a 3.0 twin turbo engine, the same as Panamera S but detuned. Audi has no such engine, their 3.0T is actually a superchrged engine.
Exactly... The only Audi engines that are used are the diesel engines and the base petrol engine, which will be the 2.0 Turbo, which one can find in almost every VAG product. In the Macan it will produce somewhere around 225hp (maybe slightly more) and will probably be available with both a 7-speed PDK or a 6-speed manual.

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 12-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

I stand corrected - with identical nomenclature and almost identical power output, I thought the S used the Audi supercharged 3.0T. If they had any of the Macans open at the LA Auto Show on Sunday morning, I would have figured that out myself...

The OP now makes little sense to me.

Edit: OK, so I'm not crazy. In October it was widely reported that the S would have the Audi supercharged 3.0T:

Together with the gutsy twin-turbocharged 3.6-liter V6 in the initial top-of-the-line Turbo, Porsche will offer the Macan with at least two further Audi-sourced 3.0-liter V6 engines from the outset of UK sales. Porsche has confirmed a supercharged gasoline engine with 335 hp and 339 lb-ft in the Macan S and a common-rail turbodiesel with 254 hp and a heady 428 lb-ft in the Macan S Diesel.

Read more: http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/first...#ixzz2mRo6xNWG

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 12-03-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:34 PM
sebis
Racer

I stand corrected - with identical nomenclature and almost identical power output, I thought the S used the Audi supercharged 3.0T. If they had any of the Macans open at the LA Auto Show on Sunday morning, I would have figured that out myself...

The OP now makes little sense to me.

Edit: OK, so I'm not crazy. In October it was widely reported that the S would have the Audi supercharged 3.0T:

Together with the gutsy twin-turbocharged 3.6-liter V6 in the initial top-of-the-line Turbo, Porsche will offer the Macan with at least two further Audi-sourced 3.0-liter V6 engines from the outset of UK sales. Porsche has confirmed a supercharged gasoline engine with 335 hp and 339 lb-ft in the Macan S and a common-rail turbodiesel with 254 hp and a heady 428 lb-ft in the Macan S Diesel.

Read more: http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/first...#ixzz2mRo6xNWG
That article was wrong at the time, in October was already known that Macan S will be turbo engine but somehow some magazines got it wrong. As far as the OP, he got it wrong too

EDIT: here is someone that got it right in October:
http://www.bdlive.co.za/life/motorin...-excited-about

The Macan has not officially been launched yet as these subtly camouflaged pictures show, so local specifications ahead of its arrival in South Africa in 2014 have not been confirmed. However, the first models internationally will be a Macan S with a 3l V6 twin-turbo engine producing 250kW and a Turbo featuring a 3.6l twin-turbo V6 with 294kW. There will also be a 3l V6 diesel producing 189kW, and all engines are hooked up to a seven-speed dual-clutch box. Rumours suggested a 2l boxer four-cylinder could follow as the entry point to the range, but Porsche’s engineers denied this model’s existence.

Last edited by sebis; 12-03-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:24 PM
tejstar01
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy991
Exactly... The only Audi engines that are used are the diesel engines and the base petrol engine, which will be the 2.0 Turbo, which one can find in almost every VAG product. In the Macan it will produce somewhere around 225hp (maybe slightly more) and will probably be available with both a 7-speed PDK or a 6-speed manual.

Suzy (via iOS app)
The base Macan will have the eight speed auto same as the Audi Q5, however the power will be 265hp to 280hp when it gets released!
Old 12-04-2013, 12:08 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tejstar01
The base Macan will have the eight speed auto same as the Audi Q5, however the power will be 265hp to 280hp when it gets released!
Any source for this? It doesn't make much sense to be honest.

First of all doesn't Audi use an 8-speed automatic i.c.w. The 2.0T. Audi and also VW both use a 7-speed dual clutch transmission (S-Tronic / DSG) with that engine, or a 6-speed manual.
I also think they're not gonna squeez that much power out of that engine, because a lot of European countries (which will, together with china, be the biggest market for the base Macan IMO) have an emission or even a performance based tax, which would make the car too expensive compared to its opponents.
Not that it is impossible to get that much power out of that engine though...Audi gets 300hp out of it in the S3, but because that is a top of the line model, it doesn't need to be that cheap. However... I hope you are right about the power (not about the automatic though ). It would suit the car...

Another possibillity could be that Porsche will offer a detuned tax-friendly version of the engine in countries where it matters. Audi and VW (and a lot of other brands) do the same (for example in Belgium).

I'm also curious about the base diesel... It will be the 2.0TDI from Audi/VW, but that engine also comes in numerous variations up to 184hp.

And last but not least... I hope Porsche is gonna offer the 3.0 BiTDI engine in the Macan. That would make a lot more sense than the engine they now use in the Macan S diesel.
Maybe with that engine, I could get intereseted in the Macan. For now, and untill I've made a testdrive with a Macan, I still prefer an Audi product.

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 12-04-2013, 12:34 AM
sebis
Racer

Originally Posted by Suzy991
Any source for this? It doesn't make much sense to be honest.

First of all doesn't Audi use an 8-speed automatic i.c.w. The 2.0T. Audi and also VW both use a 7-speed dual clutch transmission (S-Tronic / DSG) with that engine, or a 6-speed manual.
I also think they're not gonna squeez that much power out of that engine, because a lot of European countries (which will, together with china, be the biggest market for the base Macan IMO) have an emission or even a performance based tax, which would make the car too expensive compared to its opponents.
Not that it is impossible to get that much power out of that engine though...Audi gets 300hp out of it in the S3, but because that is a top of the line model, it doesn't need to be that cheap. However... I hope you are right about the power (not about the automatic though ). It would suit the car...

Another possibillity could be that Porsche will offer a detuned tax-friendly version of the engine in countries where it matters. Audi and VW (and a lot of other brands) do the same (for example in Belgium).

I'm also curious about the base diesel... It will be the 2.0TDI from Audi/VW, but that engine also comes in numerous variations up to 184hp.

And last but not least... I hope Porsche is gonna offer the 3.0 BiTDI engine in the Macan. That would make a lot more sense than the engine they now use in the Macan S diesel.
Maybe with that engine, I could get intereseted in the Macan. For now, and untill I've made a testdrive with a Macan, I still prefer an Audi product.

Suzy (via iOS app)
Heh, you may want to reconsider, do yourself a favor and read the December issue of Car magazine.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:51 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry to sound like a newbie here but does anyone know more about the 3.0T engine that is offered in the Macon S? Is this engine from Audi or VW or is this a true Porsche engine? Anyone know what kind of materials are being used inside the engine? Curious if forged crank, rods, and pistons are being used with the rotating assembly?
Old 12-05-2013, 12:07 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

at that price point, i doubt it.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:21 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Heh, you may want to reconsider, do yourself a favor and read the December issue of Car magazine.
What are they saying? I don't have car magazine? I assume there's a review of the Macan?

I don't mind about that to be honest... Early reviews don't have any value to me. It's fun to read, but that's about it.
I already know that it will be a great car (the base they use is already a great SUV), but I want to drive it myself before I make a decision. And since Porsche doesn't offer an engine that I like (yet), the Macan is not the right car for me.
Another problem is that I was slightly underwhelmed when I saw it in person... Didn't think "Wow! I want that car!". (Maybe my expectations were too high?)

Suzy (via iOS app)

Last edited by Suzy991; 12-05-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:01 PM
hs63gt3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Panamera is in a different class and that's it. That's why I think the Macan S is great deal for the money. Especially once the tuners get involved, you can squeeze another 50 hp easily, I hope

Something else to consider, there is talk out there that Porsche is understating the power of the Macan Turbo engine, some dude on Rennteam claims that to be in reality close to 430 hp but for marketing reasons Porsche is advertising 400 so it doesn't get too close to Cayenne Turbo.

I hope this is true for Macan S as well!
that sounds very similar to mercedes c63 AMG.

AMG detuned c63 to 450 so it doesnt get too close to other amgs like E/CLS class.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wait for the diesel?
Wait for the Diesel that MAY never come.

PCNA may not think it is a vital requirement for the North American Market considering the size of the of the vehicle. I wouldn't mind it to tune the mileage into it.

For the Turbo version, by the time you're done outfitting it you're still running damn near or over six figures on the damn thing. Now that is silly - I'd much rather go BMW in that matter - even over the pepper.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

8 speed on the Macan is WAY over doing it. The only way I see that happening is if the aforementioned Diesel somehow get's released state side as an option.

Quick Reply: Macan and Panamera engines